Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finished my Excelsior Math Course! WOOHOO!
I have worried, for 10 years, about getting through math on my way to my BS. Tonight I finished my math class - Everyday Math - at Excelsior.

While it was pricey, it was so worth the money. It was doable for someone who hasn't taken math for 39 years - and it wasn't scary. It's all online, no proctored tests, no mid-term or final. It has modules and you have homework, quizzes, assignments and discussion on each module. The professor who taught it, Dr. Merritt, was fabulous.

I took the 8 week course and even though it was tough the last two weeks (due to Christmas), it was not an overwhelming amount of work.

I have 6 tests left for my BS and I am so excited!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Congrats! Passing math, in my case Straighterline, was a huge milestone. Those three credits basically denied me a degree for some 20 years. I'm happy for you!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Congrats!! Math is not my favorite either so I understand your relief! I'm starting out with all my math just to get it out of the way~ Good Luck on your degree
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
rebel100 Wrote:Congrats! Passing math, in my case Straighterline, was a huge milestone. Those three credits basically denied me a degree for some 20 years. I'm happy for you!

I have to laugh at that because in my case it was pretty much the same thing. Algebra was Enemy Number One for me in high school and I hated every minute of it! Thank God there are alternatives for people now to get through it, for me it was ALEKS. Smile
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Congratulations! I also struggle with math so I know what a relief and accomplishment this is for you!
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
GoodYellowDogs

Im new to all this and have been doing research for my autistic daughter who lets just say math is not her favorite subject despite the narrative of autism and math geniuses.
Its the main reason we have been considering the onlinedegree.com Excelsior course map for an associates in liberal arts for her.

source:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...a_4-18.pdf

Can you give me an idea of the cost of this course is, and go further into detail of what the course actually consist of?

My concern is for high school since she had an IEP she was allowed to take junior high school math and I dont want to her to feel capped at just a high school diploma if she wants to attempt a college degree due to math.

Thanks for your insight and inspiration,
Marc
This thread is 7 years old. You're not likely to get a reply from the OP.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(02-06-2019, 07:34 PM)cramnooch Wrote: GoodYellowDogs

Im new to all this and have been doing research for my autistic daughter who lets just say math is not her favorite subject despite the narrative of autism and math geniuses.
Its the main reason we have been considering the onlinedegree.com Excelsior course map for an associates in liberal arts for her.

source:
https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...a_4-18.pdf

Can you give me an idea of the cost of this course is, and go further into detail of what the course actually consist of?

My concern is for high school since she had an IEP she was allowed to take junior high school math and I dont want to her to feel capped at just a high school diploma if she wants to attempt a college degree due to math.

Thanks for your insight and inspiration,
Marc

You should think about having her do Khan Academy to learn more math if she wants.  Most schools, if you're getting a Liberal Arts degree, will accept a pretty low level of math.  TESU will take Applied Liberal Arts Math or College Math, which only has a bit of Algebra I level stuff.  If she learned it on Khan Academy, she could then go on to take an College Math through Study.com for college credit.  Many schools will only take CLEP and/or DSST, and they each have one of these math exams.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 542 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,027 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,766 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,800 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,418 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,379 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,163 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,858 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,322 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,382 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az