Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finnish ECTS Earned to US Credits
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post here to see if anyone has experience transferring in credits to TESU from Finnish universities after having their transcript evaluated and converted to fractional credits. So basically, I'm going to be taking some classes at Metropolia once my class starts at XAMK and they give me HAKA access and noticed that the classes I want to take at Metropolia (Data Structures and Algorithms, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Artificial Intelligence) would convert to 2.5 credits or 1.5 credits if ACEI evaluates them as 1 ECTS = 0.5 US Credits. So, I wanted to ask that if I were to use, say, the Data Structures and Algorithms class for the BACS, would the 2.5 credits still satisfy the 3 credit requirement for the Data Structures class at TESU or would I really need to take a 3 credit class to satisfy the requirement? I know Intro to Artificial Intelligence is 3 ECTS (1.5 credits if converted), so it may be more problematic using that one as a UL class for the AOS electives.
In general, I think TESU usually accepts classes that are fewer than 3 credits as meeting degree requirements, but students still need to make up the credit shortfall in electives/AOS electives.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-16-2023, 01:39 PM)rachel83az Wrote: In general, I think TESU usually accepts classes that are fewer than 3 credits as meeting degree requirements, but students still need to make up the credit shortfall in electives/AOS electives.

I was looking at my degree evaluation right now and I have an excess of credits in the AOS so far, so I might be fine. I'll have to wait and see later what my evaluation says after I transfer in the classes.
@mariobros1985, please let us know how these transfer in as to TESU. It'll be interesting to see if any of these actually come in as upper level...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I am doing this experience with XAMK credits right now, so will share my results once I receive the results from TESU.
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
I just got an update on the situation.

So basically, I asked academicadvising@tesu.edu if any earned foreign credits below the 3 credits required would be accepted and this is what they told me:

"Degree requirements can be satisfied with 2 credits or more. Any shortages would be added to other areas of the degree plan to ensure that you complete 120 total credits by the end."

Mind you, TESU gave me incorrect info in the past, but it seems to make sense if true because other schools I've attended basically have the same policy about tolerating a 1 credit difference in classes, but extra credits would be needed to satisfy the 120 credits total. I'm not too worried about the 5 ECTS (2.5 credit) courses, but the 3 ECTS (1.5 credit) courses like Discrete Math or Intro to Artificial Intelligence at Metropolia might not satisfy the degree requirements at TESU.

Also, I've been trying to get access to the Metropolia classes through HAKA from XAMK but I keep getting a system error each time I try to register for courses despite my class (Hospitality Management) having been recently published and having access to Learn. I contacted support through Metropolia to help me, but they're still apparently fixing the problem. Hopefully I can get this solved, otherwise I might consider renewing my passport just to verify my identity and take the courses.
(06-19-2023, 12:41 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote: I just got an update on the situation.

So basically, I asked academicadvising@tesu.edu if any earned foreign credits below the 3 credits required would be accepted and this is what they told me:

"Degree requirements can be satisfied with 2 credits or more. Any shortages would be added to other areas of the degree plan to ensure that you complete 120 total credits by the end."

Mind you, TESU gave me incorrect info in the past, but it seems to make sense if true because other schools I've attended basically have the same policy about tolerating a 1 credit difference in classes, but extra credits would be needed to satisfy the 120 credits total. I'm not too worried about the 5 ECTS (2.5 credit) courses, but the 3 ECTS (1.5 credit) courses like Discrete Math or Intro to Artificial Intelligence at Metropolia might not satisfy the degree requirements at TESU.

Also, I've been trying to get access to the Metropolia classes through HAKA from XAMK but I keep getting a system error each time I try to register for courses despite my class (Hospitality Management) having been recently published and having access to Learn. I contacted support through Metropolia to help me, but they're still apparently fixing the problem. Hopefully I can get this solved, otherwise I might consider renewing my passport just to verify my identity and take the courses.

I'd do the evaluation and then send it to TESU. The advisors have been wrong many times in the past. I'd wait to see what the courses transfer in as and what your degree shows you have left before stressing too much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(06-19-2023, 12:41 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote: I just got an update on the situation.

On the bright side, it matches what we've seen them do with transferring RA credits. However, it will also depend on how the evaluation service treats your credits.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

That IS correct! If you have lesser than the 2 credits, you'll need to make up the credits with an additional course, if you have more than the 2 credits, you just need to have another credit or more to fill the missing credits until it reaches 120. This has been the case for years...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • mariobros1985
I apologize for hijacking the thread, but do you guys know whether Metropolia's courses can be evaluated by IEE or Educational Perspectives or Spantran Pathways?

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 789 04-26-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 230 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 360 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 518 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 536 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 650 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 843 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 463 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 526 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 343 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic