Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time Clep - Whole future depends on it!
I don't mean to be melodramatic, but due to circumstance and a terrible setup by the largest University in the nation by enrollment (I wont name any names), I'm 32 years old, 55k in student debt for a degree I do not yet have. I, however, am a single course away from my BS in Criminal Justice, am out of funding, and am taking the Clep for it on this coming Tuesday. It's College Algebra, and is by far my weakest subject. I've been cramming for two months now, using mathhelp.com and thattutorguy. I have a sub for IC and SpeedyPrep. I haven't started using them but plan on starting this evening. I am absolutely terrified because never in my life has so much rested on a single exam. So I guess I'm here for a little moral support and any extra help I can get before Tuesday.
Hang in there!

I know it seems like a huge deal, but there is definitely more than one way to obtain a degree! Regardless of how you do on the CLEP, you will have more options -- no matter how it may seem right now.

Welcome and good luck!
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Well, I suppose I'll go into TLDR territory here, but I'm in my seventh year for a four year degree. I was a traditional student up until my senior year, and then I had a family member have a medical issue. I left the state to take care of her, knowing the final course I needed to graduate was offered online. They then added a pre-req course that is NOT offered online. 3 years later and still fighting, they've finally agreed to let me clep (before that my only alternative was to move back to the state I came from and take the pre-req course). I looked at my other options, and up here, I got accepted to GSU, but they'll be requiring me to take another 34 credit hours for my degree if I did it here, and I have no funding/student loans left. So the clep seems like my best and only option. It's just the principle of being 65k in debt for a single CJ degree that I currently don't know what I'm going to do with it that has taken me 7 years to attain. Don't take me as sounding mopey, I don't mean to! I'm just worried, even after I pass, I then need to begin the job hunt for my field. I've spent the last ten years in customer service jobs and now have a (hopefully) bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I'm not in the best of health so anything beyond a desk job is currently out of the question - though I WAS considering going for a master's or a second bachelor's, I would (I think) need more student loans for that. Enough to pay for my rent and the like, plus classes. I dunno, just at a crossroads here, I know I'm not the first and certainly wont be the last in this situation.
My IC membership has expired but if I remember correctly there is a lot of specific exam feedback on the college algebra exam. Don't forget to check there The specific exam feedback makes IC membership twice as useful.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Read all the specific exam feedback here. Take the Official CLEP practice test. Take additional practice tests on sites like free-clep-prep.com, etc. I think most people say time is the issue so make sure you time yourself on these practice tests. I also had someone suggest using your scratch paper when you get in there - before you start the time / test - to write down all the formulas / rules / facts etc you memorized so that when you start the test you don't get stressed and forget them. Good luck!
CLEP: US History 1
DSST: Intro to Computing, Intro to World Religions
ALEKS: Basic Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
Sophia: Art History
Straighterline: Intro to Environmental Science, US History 2, Western Civ 1, American Gov, Anthropology, West Civ 2, A&P 1, Medical Terminology
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Kaplan PLA

In Progress - English 101, Intro to Comm
Many member of this forum use ALEKS.com to complete their college algebra requirement. Your school may or may not accept ALEKS. Ask. If they do, completing ALEKS cost only $20 a month. If by chance your school does NOT accept it, you can still use the ALEKS site to study for the CLEP exam.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
AsheRayne Wrote:Well, I suppose I'll go into TLDR territory here, but I'm in my seventh year for a four year degree. I was a traditional student up until my senior year, and then I had a family member have a medical issue. I left the state to take care of her, knowing the final course I needed to graduate was offered online. They then added a pre-req course that is NOT offered online. 3 years later and still fighting, they've finally agreed to let me clep (before that my only alternative was to move back to the state I came from and take the pre-req course). I looked at my other options, and up here, I got accepted to GSU, but they'll be requiring me to take another 34 credit hours for my degree if I did it here, and I have no funding/student loans left. So the clep seems like my best and only option. It's just the principle of being 65k in debt for a single CJ degree that I currently don't know what I'm going to do with it that has taken me 7 years to attain. Don't take me as sounding mopey, I don't mean to! I'm just worried, even after I pass, I then need to begin the job hunt for my field. I've spent the last ten years in customer service jobs and now have a (hopefully) bachelor's in Criminal Justice. I'm not in the best of health so anything beyond a desk job is currently out of the question - though I WAS considering going for a master's or a second bachelor's, I would (I think) need more student loans for that. Enough to pay for my rent and the like, plus classes. I dunno, just at a crossroads here, I know I'm not the first and certainly wont be the last in this situation.

That definitely sounds frustrating. I think you'll find plenty of people here who warn of the dangers of these type of schools. Personally, I think the federal subsidy for education loans is a double edged sword. I do think it's important to educate students on the options available and the true cost of education and/or the potential ability to pay back the loan.

More than likely you will have the option to take the class elsewhere and transfer it in. I know you don't want to badmouth the specific school, but it may help if you list it so we can review their transfer policies.

What type of job are you wanting to do? If you consider a masters program, I would definitely ask the folks around here for advice. Their years of expierence have saved me tons of money in mistakes I would have made and have directed me to many of the masters programs I'm considering.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
bamafan98, please do not pass along the suggestion to candidates to write information down on scratch paper before the exam even begins. I can tell you as a test center administrator this is NOT ALLOWED. Any writing needs to take place once the official timer for the exam begins (I tell my testing candidates they must see the first question on the screen before they can start writing). This has not happened very often, but I have interrupted candidates who begin writing when they are not in their actual test (this is a rule for ALL computerized testing!). The scratch paper is replaced and they move on.
Take a deep breath. Good luck with the exam. Seriously consider if a masters degree will help you, or put you further in debt. When you've dug yourself into a (financial) hole, consider if stopping the digging isn't the better way to go.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:bamafan98, please do not pass along the suggestion to candidates to write information down on scratch paper before the exam even begins. I can tell you as a test center administrator this is NOT ALLOWED. Any writing needs to take place once the official timer for the exam begins (I tell my testing candidates they must see the first question on the screen before they can start writing). This has not happened very often, but I have interrupted candidates who begin writing when they are not in their actual test (this is a rule for ALL computerized testing!). The scratch paper is replaced and they move on.

As a test administrator, you definitely know more than I do on the subject, but where is this rule written down?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,946 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 6,970 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 374 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 480 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,845 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  University of the Future Alpha 0 375 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 693 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,314 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts