Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For a friend - Masters in Math - Middle, High School, CC
Hello all,

This question is for a friend. She has a recent bachelors degree in math and is a middle school math teacher. She wants to pursue an online masters degree in math.

One problem is that she told me that her pay increase would only be $2,000 a year with a masters. So I can't see the benefit of her spending a large amount of money on this.

The most affordable option I found was this: Master of Arts Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12) from WGU. Pay Less For Your Accredited Online Master's Degree in Math at WGU

I have a question about this option. She also mentioned that she would like to be able to teach courses at our local community college. Would she be able to do this with this degree since it is a program for K-12 teachers? I am wondering if she may need more of a traditional masters in math to qualify to teach at the cc.

Does anyone know of any affordable alternatives?

Thanks to anyone with any advice on this issue.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
topdog98 Wrote:Hello all,

This question is for a friend. She has a recent bachelors degree in math and is a middle school math teacher. She wants to pursue an online masters degree in math.

One problem is that she told me that her pay increase would only be $2,000 a year with a masters. So I can't see the benefit of her spending a large amount of money on this.

The most affordable option I found was this: Master of Arts Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12) from WGU. Pay Less For Your Accredited Online Master's Degree in Math at WGU

I have a question about this option. She also mentioned that she would like to be able to teach courses at our local community college. Would she be able to do this with this degree since it is a program for K-12 teachers? I am wondering if she may need more of a traditional masters in math to qualify to teach at the cc.

Does anyone know of any affordable alternatives?

Thanks to anyone with any advice on this issue.

I don't have a good lead, but be sure to have your friend talk with peers in your area about how having a masters before being placed works in her area. My very good friend regrets getting her masters ahead of landing a good job because she was "too expensive" to hire as a new grad with no experience. The schools have to follow the pay scale, so it's not even like she could have offered to take regular starting salary. Not sure it's like that where you are- just throwing that out there.
look at the various community college websites in your area and see if they post job openings

also search Mathematics Faculty Jobs, Employment in Texas | Indeed.com

for example: here are two openings at
LaGuardia Community College in New York City
https://hrsa.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psc/cnyh...tingSeq=1&

1) Assistant Professor: Ph.D. in mathematics (pure and applied). Prior teaching experience at the college level; experience with curriculum development. Ability to teach successfully, experience in student mentorship and guidance with accelerated instruction and outcome assessment at both the classroom and programmatic levels, demonstrated scholarly achievement, and ability to collaborate with others.

2) Instructor: Master's degree in area(s) of expertise, and advanced progress toward a Doctorate. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, interest in productive scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.

of course this is New York City

and here's a position in Texas for an instructor to teach Math to undergrad students who want to become math teachers
https://jobs.uh.edu/postings/28800

"This position consists of a nine-month, non-tenure track faculty appointment at the rank of Instructional Assistant / Associate Professor (Master Teacher),"

"A master’s degree is required with preferences given to a Ph.D./Ed.D."

as for WGU, I was looking at them for their IT program and while reading reviews I saw a lot of negative stuff about their teacher program
of course those negative comments could have been posted by morons too stupid to get a degree
and were venting their frustration, but search around for reviews

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 709 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 182 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 462 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,314 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,043 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 655 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 368 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,230 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,120 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,086 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac