Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Community College
Like it or not, it's beginning to look like there will be some sort of legislation passed to create free community college.
Your cheat sheet for Biden’s free community college plan - POLITICO
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • rachel83az
The "f" word in our house - "free" No such thing. We require our kids to say "taxpayer-funded" because that's what it is. It can only be free if all teachers and staff at a school gave their labor for free, and the electric company provided free electricity, and the water company provided free water, etc.

Oh, and I always follow it with "and who is the taxpayer who's going to be funding this?" and they get to say "me." Yep, you. You're going to be paying for it one way or another.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 5 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, bluebooger, Dorothy44, jch, samiam
It will be interested to see how that works out. I have mixed feelings about it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-12-2021, 10:35 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The "f" word in our house - "free"  No such thing.  We require our kids to say "taxpayer-funded" because that's what it is.  It can only be free if all teachers and staff at a school gave their labor for free, and the electric company provided free electricity, and the water company provided free water, etc.

Oh, and I always follow it with "and who is the taxpayer who's going to be funding this?" and they get to say "me." Yep, you.  You're going to be paying for it one way or another.

That’s interesting. In my house, my children are taught to roll their eyes when they hear arguments like this. They understand that these arguments are just a convenient slide-of-hand used by people with a particular political persuasion to argue against taxation and governmental spending. 

My children, in contrast, have been taught to understand what free actually means. If you look it up, it means without cost or a requirement to pay.  It is no exaggeration to understand that this means on the part of the recipient, as literally nothing has no cost to the person or entity providing it. They are sophisticated enough to understand that everything has a cost to the provider. Even if there is not a fiscal note attached, an actual outlay of dollars or material, there is an opportunity cost associatived with providing that thing (whether tangible or non-tangible) of value.  

They have been taught that, by dfecore’s understanding of free, that NOTHING of this world is actually free. If you a person of faith, perhaps the love of a deity is free, but that’s a discussion for a different thread. 

My children have also been taught about the social utility of taxation and government spending. They understand that it’s better to live in a civil society than in the “wilderness” of economic theory.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • jcooke
your screen name fits you perfectly

> a convenient slide-of-hand used by people with a particular political persuasion to argue against taxation and governmental spending. 

there's no sleight of hand involved at all            
we are flat out arguing against taxation and governmental spending.

> If you look it up, it means without cost or a requirement to pay. 

but you ARE required to pay -- through taxes -- unless you are a you know, freeloader
[-] The following 2 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • samiam, Swoneus
Not in particular excited for something like this. As per usual when the government gets involved they overspend, massively mismanage, and somehow manage to fail at every turn. The government could walk into a grocery store with $100 and walk out with only half a pack of gum.

Having said that unfortunate truth, this is most likely the way of the future. I just wish that we could have literally any other agency that has ever existed on this planet to set it up besides our recent federal government.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swoneus's post:
  • NC Coach
(05-12-2021, 08:54 AM)Alpha Wrote: Like it or not, it's beginning to look like there will be some sort of legislation passed to create free community college.
Your cheat sheet for Biden’s free community college plan - POLITICO

This is great news! Not only will it make higher education more accessible, it will also enable those children unfortunate enough to grow up in households which instruct them to mindlessly regurgitate the political views of their parents, the opportunity to critically engage, analyse and question a variety of perspectives.

Hopefully, this measure will get to those kids in time. Childhood is so so short, and the window to learn the skills of critical analysis and open-mindedness is so brief. The antidote to tyranny, authoritarianism and dictatorship is a populace willing and able to think independently. Hobbling one's children by discouraging their questioning prevailing views, and preventing them from arriving at their own conclusions independently . . . seems unnecessarily cruel. And all for the sake of having miniature mouthpieces who won't threaten your own beliefs. Sacrificing your children's brains for your own feelings. Astounding.

I would rather a child who ardently disagreed with me - and could justify and defend those views, than a mindless minion. I hope I'm not unusual in this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes innen_oda's post:
  • eriehiker
(05-12-2021, 04:57 PM)bluebooger Wrote: your screen name fits you perfectly
What can I say?  All of the dried, diseased snot handles were taken.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(05-12-2021, 05:39 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 04:57 PM)bluebooger Wrote: your screen name fits you perfectly
What can I say?  All of the dried, diseased snot handles were taken.

I can not stop laughing.  Omg. I’m crying.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-12-2021, 03:33 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 10:35 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The "f" word in our house - "free"  No such thing.  We require our kids to say "taxpayer-funded" because that's what it is.  It can only be free if all teachers and staff at a school gave their labor for free, and the electric company provided free electricity, and the water company provided free water, etc.

Oh, and I always follow it with "and who is the taxpayer who's going to be funding this?" and they get to say "me." Yep, you.  You're going to be paying for it one way or another.

That’s interesting. In my house, my children are taught to roll their eyes when they hear arguments like this. They understand that these arguments are just a convenient slide-of-hand used by people with a particular political persuasion to argue against taxation and governmental spending. 

My children, in contrast, have been taught to understand what free actually means. If you look it up, it means without cost or a requirement to pay.  It is no exaggeration to understand that this means on the part of the recipient, as literally nothing has no cost to the person or entity providing it. They are sophisticated enough to understand that everything has a cost to the provider. Even if there is not a fiscal note attached, an actual outlay of dollars or material, there is an opportunity cost associatived with providing that thing (whether tangible or non-tangible) of value.  

They have been taught that, by dfecore’s understanding of free, that NOTHING of this world is actually free. If you a person of faith, perhaps the love of a deity is free, but that’s a discussion for a different thread. 

My children have also been taught about the social utility of taxation and government spending. They understand that it’s better to live in a civil society than in the “wilderness” of economic theory.

Love is free, if freely given.  I'm also happy to help on this forum - I give of my time and knowledge.   

But in this aspect, a government cannot give things for free, since it's not theirs to give - SOMEONE has to pay for those things.  So they may call it free, but I prefer that my children understand what "free" means in realistic terms.  "Free to me" is not really free, in my opinion.  Understanding that everything has a cost is important to understand as an adult (they are 17 & 18, certainly old enough to understand all of this).

And teaching my kids that "free" is certainly NOT free is not in any way shape or form saying that I don't believe in taxation or government spending; those are completely separate issues.

Now, as to our government with their wasteful ways - the trillions we'll be handing out...it's beyond ridiculous.  You may think that this is a good deal to give a bunch of "free" stuff to people, but the problem is, SOMEONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FOR IT someday.  And unfortunately for our children, and our children's children, and so on - THEY are the ones that will be paying through taxation when we are long gone.  If the government actually had to pay as they went, there would be a whole lot less freebies handed out.  I just believe in paying for stuff now, rather than getting crap and then making future generations pay for things they're not going to be able to get and enjoy.  I think that kind of sucks.

But go ahead and teach your children what you want.  I'm preparing mine for the reality of very high taxes to pay for all that "free" stuff the government is handing out right now.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • samiam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,097 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,428 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 588 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,713 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,027 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,701 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,124 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 501 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  ASU Sustainable Earth Business Sustainability Courses, Free Online Jonathan Whatley 3 615 12-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,760 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100