Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Spring 2022 classes at community colleges (residency restrictions NOT specified)
(11-23-2021, 08:17 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 07:20 PM)wow Wrote: Update on CCBC: I got accepted and started looking through online courses. So many! But ...

That was FAST! I am definitely pointing my family members at that direction.
As long as they okay with the risk that they might not be able to take classes there anyway (assuming they don't live in / near Baltimore county). From the classes I looked at, my hunch is that they might require exams to be taken on site.
I did try calling the registrar's office today, but no answer. I suspect they are already closed this week for thanksgiving. I will try again next week.

Eastern Iowa is also very fast in processing applications. Acceptance was pretty much immediate. I haven't looked at transcripts etc yet. I am not planning on attending *all* these schools and want to figure out which one has purely online classes that fit in with my academic goals. (Also, Eastern Iowa is limited to one free course; on the plus side, they definitely have purely online courses available through an Iowa online consortium, and from what I have read so far these appear to be covered by the grant.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • NoStudentNoCry
(11-24-2021, 10:04 AM)wow Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 08:17 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(11-23-2021, 07:20 PM)wow Wrote: Update on CCBC: I got accepted and started looking through online courses. So many! But ...

That was FAST! I am definitely pointing my family members at that direction.
As long as they okay with the risk that they might not be able to take classes there anyway (assuming they don't live in / near Baltimore county). From the classes I looked at, my hunch is that they might require exams to be taken on site.
I did try calling the registrar's office today, but no answer. I suspect they are already closed this week for thanksgiving. I will try again next week.

Eastern Iowa is also very fast in processing applications. Acceptance was pretty much immediate. I haven't looked at transcripts etc yet. I am not planning on attending *all* these schools and want to figure out which one has purely online classes that fit in with my academic goals. (Also, Eastern Iowa is limited to one free course; on the plus side, they definitely have purely online courses available through an Iowa online consortium, and from what I have read so far these appear to be covered by the grant.)

That's pretty good. I found some courses there that I need that are more unique, and especially hard to find online. At $200/credit, I am honestly considering paying for another class there.
More info on CCBC: The free semester offer is not automatically granted to enrolled students. There is an application process, and you must demonstrate COVID-19 related hardship. Here is what to expect:

------

CCBC Cares Application
Thank you for your interest in our tuition-free program. We are committed to assisting you meet the cost of tuition for the winter and/or spring 2022 semester(s) through a wide variety of sources. Degree and credit certificate seeking students may be eligible to receive an award up to $2,000.00.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must be experiencing a hardship related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Those whose aid has been suspended or are in over-payment status with the Department of Education, or are pursuing a non-eligible program are not eligible for this funding opportunity.
See if you qualify! Complete the CCBC Cares Application by clicking on the orange Apply button below.
Award
Varies
Deadline
02/25/2022
Supplemental Questions
Are you new to CCBC for winter and/or spring 2022 semester(s) seeking a degree or certificate?
Citizenship Status of Student:
Please identify your expenses related to the disruption of campus operations or for emergency costs due to COVID-19:
Are you currently experiencing a new or continued hardship due to COVID-19 for the winter and/or spring 2022 semester(s)?
Did you complete the 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the CCBC school code (002063)?
Attestation of Title IV Eligibility:

By filling out this application you certify you:

Are not in default on a federal student loan or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay it,

Do not owe money back on a federal student grant or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay it,

Will notify the college if you default on a federal student loan, and

Will not receive a Federal Pell Grant from more than one college for the same period of time.

I swear under penalty of perjury that the information I have provided is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.
If I receive an award, I authorize CCBC to distribute the funds as follows. I understand the option I select does not impact the award amount or my eligibility.
Signature of Student:
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • jch
Talked to Eastern Iowa academic advisor today. They have a lot of courses available online, which can be seen at:

http://web2.eicc.edu/tab/CS-2022SU-LIVE.html
https://web2.eicc.edu/tab/CS-2022SP-ONLINE.html

The advisor was very good and really wanted to help me figure out my goals and make sure i didn't waste time/money on something that wouldn't meet those goals. I was impressed! Downside: because I am almost done with my degree at EGCC, he pushed against degree enrollment at the Eastern Iowa colleges, but instead advised I be a non-degree student, take a couple courses, and transfer those back into EGCC.

So, if you are in a similar boat to me, qualifying for the free 3 credits at Eastern Iowa will be tough. You're going to have to figure out a way to convince the academic advisor you just have to have a degree from Easter Iowa Community Colleges. Or you can pay for the classes—the tuition isn't bad.

If you're just starting out, the freebie still looks like a good opportunity.
Hi I have a question, if you already enrolled to one of the free spring college and you want to enrolled to another college offering also the spring at the same time is possible to qualify for the FAFSA funds or they only allow one college only per student request.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(12-05-2021, 05:55 AM)gams007 Wrote: Hi I have a question, if you already enrolled to one of the free spring college and you want to enrolled to another college offering also the spring at the same time is possible to qualify for the FAFSA funds or they only allow one college only per student request.

I'm enrolled at 2 schools.  I don't qualify for regular FAFSA at all, so I'm not sure how that works.  These schools aren't giving you free money from FAFSA, so it's not really applying to me.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hmm, my cousins are wondering what to apply for. Which ones have you all applied to? And which ones would you recommend? Is it too late for my cousins?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-05-2021, 03:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, my cousins are wondering what to apply for.  Which ones have you all applied to? And which ones would you recommend? Is it too late for my cousins?

I'm registered for a course at South Texas College hoping for cash back.

Then, I'm registered for a CC here in my state who is only giving free tuition to in-state students.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-05-2021, 03:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, my cousins are wondering what to apply for.  Which ones have you all applied to? And which ones would you recommend? Is it too late for my cousins?
Some are still open. But I don't have which ones memorized! If they go to each, they will see the deadlines.

I'm going to guess South Texas is too late given the length of time they take to look at transcripts, though it doesn't seem too late according to the deadlines that they set on their freebie offer.
(12-06-2021, 12:37 PM)wow Wrote: I'm going to guess South Texas is too late given the length of time they take to look at transcripts, though it doesn't seem too late according to the deadlines that they set on their freebie offer.

Too late if a person wants to take semester-long classes or classes that are offered during the first Spring term, but is still time for are classes offered during the second Spring term. It's free to send application, so worth trying.

(12-05-2021, 05:55 AM)gams007 Wrote: Hi I have a question, if you already enrolled to one of the free spring college and you want to enrolled to another college offering also the spring at the same time is possible to qualify for the FAFSA funds or they only allow one college only per student request.

International students don't qualify for FAFSA to begin with. All the free stuff we are discussing here is coming from emergency stimulus funding: some colleges give money to international students (e.g., South Texas College), some only give money to FAFSA-eligible Pell grant recipients (e.g., UMPI).

If you were a traditional FAFSA recipient, then no, you can't use your grant at several schools simultaneously.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,899 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 18 4,018 04-13-2024, 03:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,204 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,532 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 660 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,796 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,820 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,221 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Coding Certificate + Stipend TINASAM 0 584 01-14-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TINASAM