Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Spring semester
It makes the most sense to me that out-of-state residents will still be able to take online classes for free. On the main page (also linked in your email reply, RiverM) it says: "Free tuition and zero fees is available for every student registered for classes for Spring 2022." To me, zero fees would seem to include out-of-state resident fees. I think this is especially likely because that page also says in the list of who is eligible (which looks to be basically anyone) that "California residency is not required."
This is what I got:
"Admissions has processed your application. However during processing, you were flagged as a non-resident of California. Please be aware that you will be charged the additional non-resident tuition fees. If you are only enrolling in non-credit English for Life and Work classes, this does not apply to you, and you can disregard this notice.

To change your residency status you must complete the Residency Consideration Form and submit it to the MJC Enrollment Services Office. Please review the Residency Consideration Form for all the additional requirements. Please note there are filing deadline dates for this process. For a list of these dates, see the MJC Residency page.

For all students who do not meet the eligibility requirements for the Residency Consideration process, you may be eligible for the AB540 Exemption. This exemption requires you to have attended a California school for a minimum of 3 years. For a list of the complete requirements, review the AB540 Exemption form. If you feel you qualify for this exemption, please complete the form and submit it to the MJC Enrollment Services Office.

If you have any questions regarding this e-mail please contact Enrollment Services about residency at MJCESeForms@MJC.edu."
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - April 2025
M.Ed in Elementary Education - UoPeople - December 2026
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion (Higher Education) - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

I suspect that what it says on the website is probably correct, and the email you got is a standard email sent when an out-of-state student applies. I'd call or email someone and specifically mention that page where it says the program is open to out-of-state students and see what they say.

I have often seen that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing with California higher education systems.
Just applied and my application was processed quickly. Received this email in response:

"Thank you for applying to Modesto Junior College. Your admission application indicates that you have an out of state permanent address. Unfortunately, Modesto Junior College does not have state authorization to offer online classes to students physically located outside of California. You will only be allowed to enroll in to in person courses."

I looked into this a bit, and it turns out that due to federal regulations and California's refusal to join the reciprocal SARA agreement for online classes, most California schools can not offer online courses to out-of-state residents. Interestingly, this does not apply to out-of-country applicants, so if that's you, go for it. I find it interesting that California is the only one of all the 50 States that has not joined SARA.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ylmir's post:
  • Tedium
(11-22-2021, 01:18 PM)ylmir Wrote: Just applied and my application was processed quickly. Received this email in response:

"Thank you for applying to Modesto Junior College. Your admission application indicates that you have an out of state permanent address. Unfortunately, Modesto Junior College does not have state authorization to offer online classes to students physically located outside of California. You will only be allowed to enroll in to in person courses."

I looked into this a bit, and it turns out that due to federal regulations and California's refusal to join the reciprocal SARA agreement for online classes, most California schools can not offer online courses to out-of-state residents. Interestingly, this does not apply to out-of-country applicants, so if that's you, go for it. I find it interesting that California is the only one of all the 50 States that has not joined SARA.

Hi ylmir,

How long did it take for them to send that after you got your student number? I haven't received this email.

Update: I wonder if it's because I'm in the state of Washington after reading this from a different California CC: https://www.sbcc.edu/distanceeducation/s...zation.php. It says it's not authorized to offer online learning in:
Alabama
Arkansas
Maryland
Minnesota
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Utah
(11-22-2021, 05:32 PM)wow Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 01:18 PM)ylmir Wrote: Just applied and my application was processed quickly. Received this email in response:

Hi ylmir,

How long did it take for them to send that after you got your student number? I haven't received this email.

Update: I wonder if it's because I'm in the state of Washington after reading this from a different California CC: https://www.sbcc.edu/distanceeducation/s...zation.php. It says it's not authorized to offer online learning in:
Alabama
Arkansas
Maryland
Minnesota
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Utah
I received it right about the same time I received my student number. I have also been unable to access registration so far. Hopefully it works out for you!
South Texas has been a nightmare so far. My kid and I both applied ages ago (late October). She is able to log in, but can't register for anything. I can't log in at all. Their customer service is terrible.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I sent in all of my transcripts back in mid October and still haven't heard any updates on my admission status. I don't even have a login yet. I just sent them another email.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(11-23-2021, 12:17 AM)jch Wrote: I sent in all of my transcripts back in mid October and still haven't heard any updates on my admission status. I don't even have a login yet. I just sent them another email.

Received my login info today, was able to go in, can't register for anything because I am listed as needing testing to be able to take the course I want.  Emailed Academic Advising at 10:30am, received a response at 11:15am, she had the Testing Center clear my TSI status, which I can see on my account now, but still can't register, so going to wait until tomorrow morning when I hope it's all cleared up.

They also haven't evaluated my transcripts yet, even though I'm positive they've received them all by now (it's been a month or so since they were sent via snail mail).  Doesn't matter in my case, but still frustrating at how slow this is going.

My kid also is having trouble, and she applied a full month before I did.  She can log in, but nothing has been evaluated that we can see.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I chatted with an Admissions person at MJC today to ask them what was going on with online students and other states, since I never received the email saying I couldn't take classes there. They said they do not have agreements with ANY of the other 49 other states. So in case anyone else from Washington or Oregon was hoping for an exception, oh well!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 1 56 43 minutes ago
Last Post: lisarox
  Free cybersecurity training course, entry level cert, and candidate status through is MNomadic 20 4,077 6 hours ago
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Coursera for Californians ashkir 8 2,929 04-17-2024, 09:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,207 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  University of South Carolina - Free Certificates in Hospitality Management Maniac Craniac 5 1,534 02-15-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Resource: spreadsheet of free courses from Ivy League universities NatsNerd 3 661 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: NatsNerd
  Rutgers - Free Certificate in Leadership & No-Blame Problem Solving Maniac Craniac 5 1,797 02-05-2024, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,103 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Free Certificate in Public Health Practice (w/6 course completion certs) Maniac Craniac 10 1,825 01-30-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: MFG
  HP & EdX - FREE Professional Certificate in Esports Mgmt, Game Design & Programming Maniac Craniac 11 1,224 01-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77