Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Free electives" and extra classes
I understand that free electives are just where all your leftover credits get distributed and don't make a huge difference in general. I'm curious if it makes a difference if say: you have 30 credits that could fit into your free elective category, though you only need 15. Should you choose to distribute certain classes over others to that category? What if you have many more classes done beyond the ~120 credits your degree requires. Do all your extra credits beyond 120 get onto your final graduation transcript?

The reasons I'm asking is two-fold: 

1) I already have enough free elective credits from previous programs that transferred in. I'm currently working on a few extra classes that I don't technically need but they are free and also interest me(teex, etc.) so I'm doing them anyway.

2) I still need to do about 16-20 credits at TESU for my specific program, so I may find it more economical to pay for comprehensive annual tuition rather than per credit rates. This would allow me to complete up to 36 credits through them. So I was thinking it may behoove me to work on some things that may go a little beyond my own degree requirements such as more advanced math courses.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Any credits you bring in (or take at TESU) go onto your final transcript, so you don't "lose" any credits even if you don't need them for your degree.

What is your specific program? I'm asking because there may be a more economical way to get your courses than TESU. BUT, I will say that if you enroll in the Comprehensive Plan before 6/30, and get that $6,350 price, it's a darn good price for a year of college to finish up your final credits/get things that are more expensive. And, you lock in that price, and don't have a residency waiver to pay later on. You might even have enough credits to earn a 2nd bachelor's if you're interested.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm also hoping to get some grants from my fafsa. If I get the full Pell, that would cover almost $6,000. So I'm working around the clock to try and combine that with the SDC affiliate pricing. When I originally submitted my fafsa, it used my tax information from 2016 and said I was not eligible. However, I found out very recently that I could submit a reduction in income form to TESU specifically since my 2017 (and current) income is not accurately reflected by what I made in 2016. Sorry I know that's not what you asked but I wanted to provide context as to why I felt that the comprehensive tuition might work out for me IF* I can get the full Pell AND* IF* I can get that affiliate pricing. TESU Finaid should be getting back to me in the next few days on the result of that(I will email them to make sure). I was going to make a separate thread about my program but I suppose here is as good as anywhere. So:

My program is the B.S. Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology. I'm a recently separated Navy Nuke and their program accepts 60+ of my credits from the navy. Combined with some B&M CC and University I had from before along with the alternate sources of credit I've been working on the past few months, that's a large chunk of it completed.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(05-08-2018, 07:37 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I'm also hoping to get some grants from my fafsa. If I get the full Pell, that would cover almost $6,000. So I'm working around the clock to try and combine that with the SDC affiliate pricing. When I originally submitted my fafsa, it used my tax information from 2016 and said I was not eligible. However, I found out very recently that I could submit a reduction in income form to TESU specifically since my 2017 (and current) income is not accurately reflected by what I made in 2016. Sorry I know that's not what you asked but I wanted to provide context as to why I felt that the comprehensive tuition might work out for me IF* I can get the full Pell AND* IF* I can get that affiliate pricing. TESU Finaid should be getting back to me in the next few days on the result of that(I will email them to make sure). I was going to make a separate thread about my program but I suppose here is as good as anywhere. So:

My program is the B.S. Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology. I'm a recently separated Navy Nuke and their program accepts 60+ of my credits from the navy. Combined with some B&M CC and University I had from before along with the alternate sources of credit I've been working on the past few months, that's a large chunk of it completed.

If you can get a full pell, as well as them having all of the courses that you need to finish the degree, then you really should do this; it makes complete sense (this is definitely NOT the type of degree where you can find the courses just about anywhere).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It doesn't really matter which courses "count" as your free electives. Anyone who is interested in what you take, like a grad school, will see all of your courses on all of your transcripts. They won't differentiate which ones were used to fulfill your degree requirements. As an example, people who want to go to medical school, but have already gotten some degree, will go back and take the pre-med courses, then apply to medical school. It doesn't matter that the pre-med courses were outside their degree program, they still count.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I know it's been mentioned that the current SDC discount goes until 6/30/18 but I was curious if I enroll before that date for classes that start after that date if the discount should apply as it is now?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(05-09-2018, 02:35 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I know it's been mentioned that the current SDC discount goes until 6/30/18 but I was curious if I enroll before that date for classes that start after that date if the discount should apply as it is now?

Yes - you need to register the course by 6/30.  The discount kicks in automatically.
(05-09-2018, 02:35 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I know it's been mentioned that the current SDC discount goes until 6/30/18 but I was curious if I enroll before that date for classes that start after that date if the discount should apply as it is now?

As far as we know. We're pretty sure that what will matter is the date you pay. However, we won't really know until someone tries to register for a July or August course. That's why I would encourage people to register for the June term to be absolutely sure.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The other alternative might be that there will be no tuition waiver at all because study.com credits will be considered actual TESU credits.
(05-10-2018, 08:55 AM)eriehiker Wrote: The other alternative might be that there will be no tuition waiver at all because study.com credits will be considered actual TESU credits.

Did I miss something?  When has that been proposed by TESU?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,507 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 29,944 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 426 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 294 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,883 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Over 25 in Massachusetts, Free Community College bjcheung77 0 565 08-25-2023, 04:41 PM
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 605 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Would you drive 1,000+ miles to earn free college credit? bjcheung77 13 1,321 05-16-2023, 07:32 AM
  Job Offers Free College natshar 3 890 05-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 669 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM