Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GA Tech OMSCS
To TrailRunr or Davewill or anyone else: What do you think about the TESU BS Data Analytics to get accepted to GA Tech OMSCS? Also, I think either TrailRunr or Davewill mentioned somewhere that if you have the right computer courses on your transcript, it should be relatively easy to get into the OMSCS. What would those courses be? CSU Intro to Programming (in Java), Straighterline Programming in C++?
I'm pretty sure that bachelors wouldn't be enough

it only requires 3 credits in math
it does not require calculus or linear algebra

its programming courses are practically non-existent
you have the option of taking 3 programming courses as electives, but the programming courses are very basic

the bachelors does allow 27 electives in the "non area of study"

so you could do
Intro to C++ (or java or python)
Data Structures in C++ (or Java or python)
Linear algebra
Discrete Math

and that would greatly help your application

go here
Master of Science in Computer Science » Metropolitan College | Boston University
scroll down and click on
Admission Information
Prerequisites
for the MS in CS at Boston University

and if you go here
Online Master'sOnline Master's in Computer Science | Colorado State University Degree in Computer Science
and scroll down to the middle of the page where it says
Applicants are presumed to have a working knowledge of:

it shows you the "requirements" for Colorado State University

so I imagine Georgia's program will have pretty much the same prereqs as those two

you can get two python courses here
https://uni.edu/continuinged/distance/gi...es/cs-1510
https://uni.edu/continuinged/distance/gi...es/cs-1520

I'm sure TESU has them also (probably in C or C++)

edit:
oh yeah
TESU has all you need in the guided studies under computer science
http://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=GS
I don't think it's a good degree for purposes of getting into a CS program. CS is a theoretical program that's closer to a math degree than an IT degree. Taking a bunch of programming courses alone isn't sufficient preparation.

You need more upper level CS courses in order to get admitted. I'm thinking courses like algorithms, computer architecture, AI, software engineering, compilers, upper-level OS course that's not vocational, etc. The math is very weak as well. You'd want to take calc 1, calc 2, linear algebra and discrete math as well. The right courses will get you into OMSCS. No CS degree is needed. But it's harder than you think.

Then there is the challenge of graduating from OMSCS. Getting into OMSCS is not the hard part even though what I said above sounds very challenging already. Graduating is much harder than getting in. CS classes are typically very hard and very time consuming.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:I don't think it's a good degree for purposes of getting into a CS program. CS is a theoretical program that's closer to a math degree than an IT degree. Taking a bunch of programming courses alone isn't sufficient preparation.

You need more upper level CS courses in order to get admitted. I'm thinking courses like algorithms, computer architecture, AI, software engineering, compilers, upper-level OS course that's not vocational, etc. The math is very weak as well. You'd want to take calc 1, calc 2, linear algebra and discrete math as well. The right courses will get you into OMSCS. No CS degree is needed. But it's harder than you think.

Then there is the challenge of graduating from OMSCS. Getting into OMSCS is not the hard part even though what I said above sounds very challenging already. Graduating is much harder than getting in. CS classes are typically very hard and very time consuming.

CS =/= MIS or the like. Much more about math and engineering than "high level" computer skills like assembly language or all that easy stuff Wink
TrailRunr Wrote:I don't think it's a good degree for purposes of getting into a CS program. CS is a theoretical program that's closer to a math degree than an IT degree. Taking a bunch of programming courses alone isn't sufficient preparation.

I have to agree with TrailRunr. As you can see from my sig, I got into the program, but I have found I simply do not have the time and energy to devote to the program. I'm trying to talk myself into giving it one more go this summer, but I probably won't. He's hit the necessary pre-reqs pretty much on the mark as well.

I heartily recommend immersing yourself in the Google+ OMSCS group to get a good feel for the program. The OMSCS Sub-Reddit is also helpful.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
so the Georgia program has higher entrance requirements than the program at Boston U ?

Boston U only requires 4 courses
MET CS 231 Programming with C++
MET CS 248 Discrete Mathematics
MET CS 341 Data Structures with C++
MET CS 472 Computer Architecture
bluebooger Wrote:so the Georgia program has higher entrance requirements than the program at Boston U ?

Boston U only requires 4 courses
MET CS 231 Programming with C++
MET CS 248 Discrete Mathematics
MET CS 341 Data Structures with C++
MET CS 472 Computer Architecture

It doesn't have any FORMAL pre-reqs at all. If you have enough experience, they will let almost any degree into the program. If you add Linear Algebra to that list, I'd say you were in decent shape, and someone who had the Data Analytics degree and those four might well get in. I think they'd end up wishing they had Lin Alg, though, depending on what specialization they go for. It was a worry of mine since my Lin Alg was many moons ago, so I was using the MIT open course as a review.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I have to agree with TrailRunr. As you can see from my sig, I got into the program, but I have found I simply do not have the time and energy to devote to the program. I'm trying to talk myself into giving it one more go this summer, but I probably won't. He's hit the necessary pre-reqs pretty much on the mark as well.

Amen. I think people here keep forgetting how hard it is to complete OMSCS even though it's still fairly difficult and a ton of work just to take enough prereqs just to get in.

I registered for a CS course locally for professional and personal enrichment and looked at how much work it was per week. I estimated it would take 10-15 hours a week to complete all of the reading and complete the homework. There was a risk that a 5-hour homework may actually take 20+ hours a week. I didn't have that much time to give and dropped that class. No way I'm in a position to complete the OMSCS if I can't handle a single time consuming CS class like the one I just dropped. Good thing I dropped in time for a full refund.

Just as a comparison for others, the liberal arts capstone was a lot less work and far easier than almost all of my non-TESU CS and post-calculus math courses.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
@trailrunr and @davewill , I'm pushing for a Comp Sci and math area of study in TESU like trailrunr, but majority of my credits are made of ACE/study.com credits, as they look at the transcripts do you think it's going to be a problem?

I'm taking math just because as trailrunr said, it's closer to a math degree, do you think that'd help or is a compsci enough?
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

Trailrunr hasn't been on for 2 years, Davewill's not on as much nowadays. Anyways, if you have "some" graded credits, they'll look at them first. Have you applied to TESU and are you on the 2021 or 2022 catalog year? If so, you need at minimum 30 RA credits. That should be sufficient enough. And having an extra Math major will look better than just a Computer Science degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera Illinois Tech MBA Vle045 8 2,475 03-08-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
Question I would like to know if anyone knows Tech University? Yefren 16 1,793 11-28-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: datby98
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,383 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,731 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  gatech omscs students: what course first? Blckbuster 5 1,428 08-15-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Technical Tech University Jerry123 6 1,245 03-15-2023, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Share your TESU to GaTech OMSCS experience Blckbuster 4 1,164 03-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LSUS MBA VS La Tech MBA gator1873 13 2,859 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TECH Universidad Technologica Popestt 30 7,991 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Eliablive
  ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! jsd 145 44,376 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 9yeire