Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GI Bill, Veterans and CLEP
If you are a Veteran with MGIB, did you know you can get reimbursed for CLEP and other tests now? I thought it was only active duty who could get them free but was apparently wrong.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/testing.htm
Thats GREAT news for the MGIB folks.

One comment I would make, do NOT assume that the resepective service automatically informs the VA of your MGIB status. I made that mistake but fortunately i have been told that all I need to do is file a VA form 22-1990, Application for VA Education benefits through the base education office.

There are holes in the system, so ALWAYS verify your status with the VA. Thats good for those who have served or the active duty too.hilarious
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]______________________________________________
Frank
3 More Credits to Go
1 Dantes Test Down/1 Clep Test Down
CCAF Audiovisual Production
1 More CLEPSmile
Then its on to National American University, Applied Management.. 12 Credits away from AAS.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Only thing bad about it is it takes like 3 years until you get reimbursed. I am still waiting for reimbursement for about 10 IT certifications I took almost 2 years ago. So I do not know if it is really worth the time it takes to fill out each form everytime you take a test.
Spazz

Good point. I would take all documentation.. formulate it to a stack of papers and send it to your elected representatives.

The ONLY way the VA is going to be held accountable for benefits is if the ones affected start complaining.

I am helping another vet get his medical claim filled.. after three years since his last treatment. the VA reps are sympatheic.. but they tell me that their backlog is almost up to two years...

This has been going on for years..
Frank
3 More Credits to Go
1 More CLEPSmile
Then its on to National American University, Applied Management.. 12 Credits away from AAS.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Wow. thanks for the advice. I guess I will start bugging the shit out of them. I knew the VA was inefficent, but damn 2 years!?
timiny Wrote:If you are a Veteran with MGIB, did you know you can get reimbursed for CLEP and other tests now? I thought it was only active duty who could get them free but was apparently wrong.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/testing.htm

Hey great find, I have the MGIB and was not aware about this. Otherwise, I would have been just doing cleps a long time ago. I wonder if this will work for ECE exams as well?? Maybe I will give them a call. I am done with Excelsior's cdrom courses. 800$ per course and they are pretty difficult!! ECE and cleps all the way through for me.
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
Hmm...I'm not sure if I just had exceptional customer service, but when I took two classes at the begining of last year, I was re-imbursed by the VA the next month. Of course, I filled out the forms and made sure my registration was sent to the VA from the school...but it was fairly painless. I was QUITE happy with VA's service, especially compared to active duty TA.
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
LOL

I have issues with Base Education and Tuition Assistance myself so I hear ya.
Frank
3 More Credits to Go
1 More CLEPSmile
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best and Worst Colleges for Veterans sanantone 9 5,488 09-05-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: AUDACITY4U
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,327 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,976 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Free Online CLEP Training Alpha 2 1,862 01-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,320 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  New Benefit for Veterans Receiving Disability jamshid666 3 2,666 10-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: tesu-acct-student
  Free Coding bootcamps for veterans: VET TEC program through the VA MNomadic 10 4,226 06-22-2019, 09:21 PM
  Certificates in Services for Veterans Jonathan Whatley 1 1,873 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Busch Gardens or SeaWorld free for veterans MNomadic 0 1,364 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
  Free CLEP Score Send Question TheMaskedMutant 4 2,298 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant