Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA tips - graduation - multiple failed class attempts
Exclamation 
Hi friends,

I'm wondering if I can get some guidance on something. I've asked academic advising a few times but I haven't yet gotten a response and I'm having severe anxiety.

So my GPA is .767 (embarrassing, I know). I've been taking and retaking the same 5 classes semester after semester. I'm in three of those right now (June semester) but I'm actually working this time so I should be getting at least B's in them (fingers crossed).

I've tried multiple calculators (4, to be exact) but keep getting inconsistent results. The issue is that I have 10 F's on my transcript altogether (3 F's from class A, 2 F's from class B, 2 F's from class C, 2 F's from class D).

Class C and Class D I am retaking right now, so that should wipe off the GPA results of 4 F's. But I still have Class A and Class B to worry about, which I'm planning on taking in the September semester. Class A and B are also supposed to be the last classes I need under my belt in order to graduate.

Does anyone have any idea what my GPA would look like if I was to retake all of them? Does anyone have any calculators that actually work? The complication I'm experiencing is, how do the attempted credits factor in when (according to TESU), the negative effects of the F's are wiped out by the better grades?

I know this sounds like an SAT question but I'm just having really bad anxiety and I don't know if I can wait until Monday to get a response.

If it helps, I can post the actual chart I made reflecting my classes and my grades. 

Someone, please help me.
Hey, that's interesting, really - let the F grades be a thing of the past, forget them, and work on getting your future A's and completing those current B's. It's hard to calculate your grade without knowing what your other courses are (the ones taken at TESU).

You can become a B grade student just by fixing your grades in those four courses as TESU (and many schools, but not all) will take the highest grade from repeated courses. Side note, if it's a ZF grade, that WILL be calculated in your GPA and can not be changed, even if you get an A in that class.

You need to know the following: 1) Don't fret, you're already getting two courses done with a B, work on those first and then work on the next two courses, slowly yet proudly. You've got these two in the bag - almost, just keep up the good work. Your GPA just went skyrocketing upwards, as the next two courses will also go up.

2) There are internal and external GPA, I assume you're referring to the Internal TESU GPA grades, only courses taken at TESU will help you with the GPA, especially if you retake the same course and get a good grade. Other courses you do with great grades will also help, technically - you can be a 3.0 student if you get straight B's in all 4 courses.

3) Please list your courses you have taken at TESU and the grades you received, you may also want to indicate the credits involved with each course as some are 1, 2, 3, or 6 credits. How many more courses do you need to finish the degree? Could you copy/paste your evaluation in a reply or have a screenshot, or document/pdf attached with some more details?

4) For undergrad, you need an internal 2.0 GPA at TESU to graduate - we just need to focus right now on getting those grades up and meeting/exceeding these. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to update your post here and we can try to assist you further.

BTW, are you an active service person or vet? Do you have tuition assistance/reimbursement from work?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-21-2020, 09:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, that's interesting, really - let the F grades be a thing of the past, forget them, and work on getting your future A's and completing those current B's.  It's hard to calculate your grade without knowing what your other courses are (the ones taken at TESU).  

You can become a B grade student just by fixing your grades in those four courses as TESU (and many schools, but not all) will take the highest grade from repeated courses.  Side note, if it's a ZF grade, that WILL be calculated in your GPA and can not be changed, even if you get an A in that class.

You need to know the following:  1) Don't fret, you're already getting two courses done with a B, work on those first and then work on the next two courses, slowly yet proudly.  You've got these two in the bag - almost, just keep up the good work.  Your GPA just went skyrocketing upwards, as the next two courses will also go up.

2) There are internal and external GPA, I assume you're referring to the Internal TESU GPA grades, only courses taken at TESU will help you with the GPA, especially if you retake the same course and get a good grade.  Other courses you do with great grades will also help, technically - you can be a 3.0 student if you get straight B's in all 4 courses.

3) Please list your courses you have taken at TESU and the grades you received, you may also want to indicate the credits involved with each course as some are 1, 2, 3, or 6 credits.  How many more courses do you need to finish the degree?  Could you copy/paste your evaluation in a reply or have a screenshot, or document/pdf attached with some more details?

4) For undergrad, you need an internal 2.0 GPA at TESU to graduate - we just need to focus right now on getting those grades up and meeting/exceeding these.  If you have further questions, don't hesitate to update your post here and we can try to assist you further.

BTW, are you an active service person or vet?  Do you have tuition assistance/reimbursement from work?

Firstly, thank you so much for responding. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to read and write a thorough response. I have attached my grades. Of those courses, I am currently (JUNE 2020) taking LIB-495, LIB-312, LIB-342, as well as the POS-282 TECEP exam. I am hoping to get at least a B in the three courses. Afterward, I have COM-209 and SOC-376 to retake. Those are all of the classes I need in order to graduate (the SOC-376, I was told I don't actually need to take but will if I need it to boost my GPA). And yes, you are correct, I was referring to my TESU internal GPA.

I have attached my grades. I would appreciate it if you would take the time to share your thoughts.

I'm not an active service person or vet, nor do I have tuition assistance/reimbursement from work.
From the looks of things, if you continue working hard on these courses, you should hit a B average GPA as the C+ will be offset with the incoming A.  Hmm, if you get straight B's for those courses, you'll hit just a bit higher than a 3.0GPA.  I wouldn't worry about the GPA unless you're going for a grad school program, if you are planning ahead, I suggest the recommend competency based degree programs from the providers mentioned on this board, there are a slew of them otherwise, forget the GPA, focus on the studies now.  Further to that, you should have enough credits for residency requirements if you get all of these courses completed, only "passed" courses count for residency.  Good job thus far, keep trucking onward until you're done!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-22-2020, 12:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: From the looks of things, if you continue working hard on these courses, you should hit a B average GPA as the C+ will be offset with the incoming A.  Hmm, if you get straight B's for those courses, you'll hit just a bit higher than a 3.0GPA.  I wouldn't worry about the GPA unless you're going for a grad school program, if you are planning ahead, I suggest the recommend competency based degree programs from the providers mentioned on this board, there are a slew of them otherwise, forget the GPA, focus on the studies now.  Further to that, you should have enough credits for residency requirements if you get all of these courses completed, only "passed" courses count for residency.  Good job thus far, keep trucking onward until you're done!

Thank you so much for your help! I can sleep peacefully now   Smile  

I actually was planning to apply for graduate school. I'm not familiar with the competency-based degree programs. What are those exactly?
(08-21-2020, 08:30 PM)szr Wrote: Hi friends,

I'm wondering if I can get some guidance on something. I've asked academic advising a few times but I haven't yet gotten a response and I'm having severe anxiety.

So my GPA is .767 (embarrassing, I know). I've been taking and retaking the same 5 classes semester after semester. I'm in three of those right now (June semester) but I'm actually working this time so I should be getting at least B's in them (fingers crossed).

I've tried multiple calculators (4, to be exact) but keep getting inconsistent results. The issue is that I have 10 F's on my transcript altogether (3 F's from class A, 2 F's from class B, 2 F's from class C, 2 F's from class D).

Class C and Class D I am retaking right now, so that should wipe off the GPA results of 4 F's. But I still have Class A and Class B to worry about, which I'm planning on taking in the September semester. Class A and B are also supposed to be the last classes I need under my belt in order to graduate.

Does anyone have any idea what my GPA would look like if I was to retake all of them? Does anyone have any calculators that actually work? The complication I'm experiencing is, how do the attempted credits factor in when (according to TESU), the negative effects of the F's are wiped out by the better grades?

I know this sounds like an SAT question but I'm just having really bad anxiety and I don't know if I can wait until Monday to get a response.

If it helps, I can post the actual chart I made reflecting my classes and my grades. 

Someone, please help me.

Might I ask why we're taking so many classes at once?  It's terribly hard to manage work, family, classwork, etc.  It looks like you are working toward a better record (and we're ALL pulling for you) and that's a great thing.

I'd consider doing a little less in coursework but excel at it.

Let us know how you do?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrianFallon's post:
  • rpmranger
The only time I remember having to take five courses at once was when I was registered as a foreign student at a community college ages ago.

But I do not know the rules now as it pertains to online studying, whether they require the same for foreign student (full time, a minimum of 15-16 credits)

Those courses taken all at once sound like an enormous workload. And yes, if juggling work, family, it doesn't lend to the best outcome just on the matter of available time alone.

I understand sometimes academic advisors add planned courses to the evaluation as soon as one mention a course but that, in and by itself, doesn't dictate you have to enroll in them all at once.

I would take a deep breath and use a template and map each hour of the day to have a realistic idea of how much time one can dedicate to studying, which courses have essays, and really how we study and what method works best for ourselves. Only after that I would choose one, maybe two courses and go from there.

It is easy to get overwhelmed but that shouldn't be reason to feel discouraged.

I see this as more of a problem of time management and not knowing well own learning habits than the amount of courses itself.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using DegreeForum.net mobile app
So, I'm super confused because I don't see any sort of link.

Also, I think one issue may be that you are calling terms "semesters" which they aren't. TESU terms are 12 weeks long, which is equivalent to a quarter - and you should be careful not to take too many courses and treat it like a semester, especially if you are getting bad grades. It is VERY expensive to take courses at TESU, let alone REtaking courses! That's something you should avoid at all costs.

Last, you cannot retake courses in which you earn a C or higher - most schools don't allow this, and TESU doesn't either. Not sure if you were talking about this, but just a caveat.

All calculators are the same - you put in your courses, your credits, and your grades. If your results are inconsistent, then it's because the info you're putting in is inconsistent.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which class to take? ACI 6 116 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 691 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,383 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 969 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  When to apply for graduation? Kones 1 225 01-06-2024, 02:13 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,125 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Question Local proctoring experiences/tips? jch 17 2,181 10-30-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  How to enroll after graduation? No INTERNSHIP!! mt_1994 9 699 10-19-2023, 01:21 PM
Question TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology udi 41 7,167 09-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP