Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA transcripts for Medical schools?
I'm 8 credits away from completing my associates at Madison Area Technical College and am interested in getting a BA from WGU. My only concern is that it's a pass/fail system and the records indicate that a pass = 3.0 (B). Hoping any former or current WGU students can chime in with experience how WGU grades appear on medical school transcripts.
Do you mean how WGU grades appear on their own transcripts? And what Medical schools think when looking at them?

What degree do you want from WGU? They only have Business, IT, Education, and Health/Nursing - no real pre-med degrees. It's not where I'd choose to get a degree if I wanted to go to medical school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You don't need pre-med to go to med school. Most med students don't come in with medical undergrad degrees. Med schools look at the whole package. They want well rounded students who are going to become doctors. Just because someone got an A in Anatomy & Physiology does not mean that they can become a doctor or even be good at it.
(07-17-2021, 11:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote: You don't need pre-med to go to med school. Most med students don't come in with medical undergrad degrees. Med schools look at the whole package. They want well rounded students who are going to become doctors. Just because someone got an A in Anatomy & Physiology does not mean that they can become a doctor or even be good at it.

While you don't need a pre-med degree, you DO need pre-med courses, and WGU doesn't offer those.  This is not a great option in my book, when you could go to MANY other schools for the courses you need.

They don't have good science courses, none of the ones you'll need for your pre-reqs.  So it won't even get your prepared to APPLY for med school, let alone get into one.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
One of my doctors undergrad degree is in business and she has an MBA along with her MD.

A quick Google search shows that the requirements vary DRAMATICALLY what med schools require. It's best to figure out which schools you are interested in and go by their requirements.
(07-17-2021, 01:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One of my doctors undergrad degree is in business and she has an MBA along with her MD.

A quick Google search shows that the requirements vary DRAMATICALLY what med schools require. It's best to figure out which schools you are interested in and go by their requirements.

I know 2 people who are in or fairly recently went through Med school.  Both were Computer Science majors.  Both decided to become doctors after getting out of the military.  But changing your career field is quite different than knowing in advance that you want to go to med school, and choosing a school that does not offer great med-school pre-reqs alongside your non-premed degree - that seems like a complete waste of time and money.

I'm not sure how DRAMATICALLY the pre-reqs really are (I'm going to bet there are some fairly standard things most are looking for), but if someone wants to go to medical school, I'm going to advise them to go somewhere that will give them the best possible chance to get into a bunch of them.  I wouldn't advise them to go to WGU as I think it will be very limiting.  Why limit yourself right from the start if you don't have to?
(07-17-2021, 04:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 01:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One of my doctors undergrad degree is in business and she has an MBA along with her MD.

I'm not sure how DRAMATICALLY the pre-reqs really are (I'm going to bet there are some fairly standard things most are looking for), but if someone wants to go to medical school, I'm going to advise them to go somewhere that will give them the best possible chance to get into a bunch of them.  I wouldn't advise them to go to WGU as I think it will be very limiting.  Why limit yourself right from the start if you don't have to?

That probably really depends on what their degree from the community college is. If they go to WGU for nursing I would not say it's limiting at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Problems getting WGU to accept Credly/ACE transcripts? raekwon 10 3,283 07-19-2022, 12:05 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  TRANSCRIPTS FROM SDC & SL TO WGU Mitmike2019 2 1,153 02-21-2021, 11:57 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  WGU requiring Excelsior transcripts AND individual CLEP/DSST? islandcoli 7 1,530 06-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr