Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC and Studycom credit limits
Charter Oak has a limit / cap on the number of Studycom credits you can apply to your degree. This has been confirmed twice this week - once by a colleague and once by me both with their registrar. It doesn't apply to all ACE credits, just Studycom.

Bachelor’s degree the maximum number allowed from Study.com is 87 credits.

Associate’s degree the maximum number of credits allowed from Study.com is 45.
(02-09-2019, 11:15 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Charter Oak has a limit / cap on the number of Studycom credits you can apply to your degree.  This has been confirmed twice this week - once by a colleague and once by me both with their registrar.  It doesn't apply to all ACE credits, just Studycom.

Thanks for the heads up. This is strange,since Straighterline and others should also be limited since they have a similar format to study.com.
(02-09-2019, 02:49 PM)nosey561 Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 11:15 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Charter Oak has a limit / cap on the number of Studycom credits you can apply to your degree.  This has been confirmed twice this week - once by a colleague and once by me both with their registrar.  It doesn't apply to all ACE credits, just Studycom.

Thanks for the heads up. This is strange,since Straighterline and others should also be limited since they have a similar format to study.com.

you'd think..... but I asked that specifically. It's Studycom only. (and FEMA which we already knew)
(02-09-2019, 10:54 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

you'd think..... but I asked that specifically.  It's Studycom only.  (and FEMA which we already knew)

Maybe they're not having this problem with SL, since they don't have UL courses?  So fewer people are trying to bring in a full degrees worth of courses from SL, but some ARE trying to use Study.com 100%?  Just a guess.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-09-2019, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

you'd think..... but I asked that specifically.  It's Studycom only.  (and FEMA which we already knew)

Maybe they're not having this problem with SL, since they don't have UL courses?  So fewer people are trying to bring in a full degrees worth of courses from SL, but some ARE trying to use Study.com 100%?  Just a guess.
Thanks - you are probably right on target.

Does COSC accept FEMA? I feel like I've seen threads about it but I haven't seen a clear answer.

I don't think there is any other single alternative method one could use for an entire Bachelors degree at COSC besides study.com. The others just don't have enough course variety and enough upper level. Maybe use 100% Davar for a business degree? Maybe use 100% Coopersmith for a psychology degree? But using just one source of credits isn't always the most practical.
(02-10-2019, 08:51 PM)natshar Wrote:

Does COSC accept FEMA? I feel like I've seen threads about it but I haven't seen a clear answer.

I don't think there is any other single alternative method one could use for an entire Bachelors degree at COSC besides study.com. The others just don't have enough course variety and enough upper level. Maybe use 100% Davar for a business degree? Maybe use 100% Coopersmith for a psychology degree?  But using just one source of credits isn't always the most practical.

COSC will accept up to 9 FEMA credits if the credits are related to the degree. If the credits are not degree related then the limit is 3 FEMA credits. If the credits are on an ACE transcript then they do not count toward the cap. 

That is what I found on their website:
https://www.charteroak.edu/prospective/a...cripts.php
[-] The following 2 users Like ztkerls's post:
  • natshar, sanantone
(02-09-2019, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I was going to tag you in this. Wink
That's a solid guess- the only SL UL is in the business degree, and I think there are only 2 or 3, so I think (?) that studycom was the only third-party option for a full degree (Before the cap).

Funny though, I messaged SL years ago and let them know that they only needed to add 1 fine arts credit and their courses could do an entire AA/AS at COSC (except for the Cornerstone) but they just haven't been developing like Studycom. Study is killing it. SL is, well, dying?
(02-12-2019, 02:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Maybe they're not having this problem with SL, since they don't have UL courses?  So fewer people are trying to bring in a full degrees worth of courses from SL, but some ARE trying to use Study.com 100%?  Just a guess.

That's a solid guess- the only SL UL is in the business degree, and I think there are only 2 or 3, so I think (?) that studycom was the only third-party option for a full degree (Before the cap).

Funny though, I messaged SL years ago and let them know that they only needed to add 1 fine arts credit and their courses could do an entire AA/AS at COSC (except for the Cornerstone) but they just haven't been developing like Studycom. Study is killing it.  SL is, well, dying?

Yeah, I'm not sure if they're dying per se, but they certainly aren't adding to their catalog.  The only changes I've seen are when they bring in courses from another company, which I haven't noticed people liking much, and they added e-textbooks to their courses for $10 (which is worth it in my estimation).  Other than that, they are just stagnant.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-12-2019, 07:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 02:38 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Maybe they're not having this problem with SL, since they don't have UL courses?  So fewer people are trying to bring in a full degrees worth of courses from SL, but some ARE trying to use Study.com 100%?  Just a guess.

Funny though, I messaged SL years ago and let them know that they only needed to add 1 fine arts credit and their courses could do an entire AA/AS at COSC (except for the Cornerstone) but they just haven't been developing like Studycom. Study is killing it.  SL is, well, dying?

Yeah, I'm not sure if they're dying per se, but they certainly aren't adding to their catalog.  The only changes I've seen are when they bring in courses from another company, which I haven't noticed people liking much, and they added e-textbooks to their courses for $10 (which is worth it in my estimation).  Other than that, they are just stagnant.

I wish they would add more courses because I prefer their format among the ACE/NCCRS courses. Well, Davar is better, but those aren't really courses. I'd much prefer if TESU and Excelsior created more TECEPs and Uexcels. It would also be nice to see more CSU Global SSAs in computer science, mathematics, natural science, history, psychology, sociology, English, and communications. Those seem to be the more popular degrees on here outside of business.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,929 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,848 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 777 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,389 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,091 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,334 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,767 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,237 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,909 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,657 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso