Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Studies Information Systems Concentration help needed
Hi I am new to this type of degree completion so if I'm wrong about anything feel free to correct me.
I have some community college credits (around 40-50) and I assume it would be easy to find equivalencies for the rest of gen ed so I mainly looked inot the concentration area for now. I found most of the concentration requirements through Saylor.org and Study.com but I can't find any equivalencies for the following: 

Introduction to Information Systems* or Introduction to Information Technology*  (need one of these only)

and 

Programming Logic, Philosophical Logic, Digital Logic, Mathematical Logic      (need one of these only)

Does anyone know of anything that would work for these? I'm an international student and taking these classes at COSC would make the cost of the degree too high for me unfortunately. 

Thank you for your time
(11-12-2021, 12:30 AM)enemylol1 Wrote: Hi I am new to this type of degree completion so if I'm wrong about anything feel free to correct me.
I have some community college credits (around 40-50) and I assume it would be easy to find equivalencies for the rest of gen ed so I mainly looked inot the concentration area for now. I found most of the concentration requirements through Saylor.org and Study.com but I can't find any equivalencies for the following: 

Introduction to Information Systems* or Introduction to Information Technology*  (need one of these only)

and 

Programming Logic, Philosophical Logic, Digital Logic, Mathematical Logic      (need one of these only)

Does anyone know of anything that would work for these? I'm an international student and taking these classes at COSC would make the cost of the degree too high for me unfortunately. 

Thank you for your time

----------

*LOGIC

I used a Philosophy Logic course from a community college to fill the requirement. I had to argue for this course by linking them the requirements for the degree page and pointing out that a "Philosophical Logic" course was permitted. Focus on courses that specify Symbolic or alternatively, Digital Logic. You could argue for the following Saylor Critical Thinking and Logic course and state that it does cover Symbolic Logic and Venn Diagrams. Otherwise, find a community college that offers a suitable course online.

https://learn.saylor.org/course/phil102

*Intro IT or IS

I had already completed an IT course at an accredited university, but both Straighterline and Sophia offer two options:

https://www.straighterline.com/online-co...damentals/

https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/co...chnology-2

ALWAYS get approval from your advisor for courses IN WRITING. I don't know how true this is for other universities, but at COSC I felt as if they were denying transfer courses to force me to take more with them.
You want to stay away from Saylor.org and take most of your courses with Sophia.org.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
A COSC admissions advisor just confirmed that "most programming courses" satisfy the logic requirement.    Here's a related excerpt from the email conversation:

"I was also informed that most programming courses will satisfy the logic requirement as would a general logic course typically found in mathematics or philosophy departments (such as our MAT 115).  That’s the most I can do if you have questions about non-Charter Oak courses."

On a side note, this is the second time I applied to COSC.  The first time I applied they were very willing to tell me--subsequent to receiving my academic evaluation--what courses would or would not apply to complete my degree.  I provided a small list of courses two or three different times, and every time they provided guidance.  

However, this time I got a different admissions advisor and she won't give me any information on transferability until I enroll.  The most she would give me is what I provided in my second sentence and it took a lot of persuading to even get that.   Sad

Here's a bit more of her response that might be of interest to perspective COSC students...

"Also, our agreements with non-standard course providers like Sophia, Study.com and Straighterline are currently under review therefore we can’t provide any information to students who are not currently enrolled.  It’s very likely there could be changes.
They are not interested in helping u with outside courses. They need to make max money on u
So i would not expect any help unless u will enroll
Here are some ideas.

https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

Programming Logic  (strange not listed on COSC study.com equivalency page)
Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming

Introduction to Information Systems
Business 303: Management Information Systems
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • degree4nana
(11-22-2021, 04:10 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: They are not interested in helping u with outside courses. They need to make max money on u

I get that.  It's just interesting to me that they were willing to help with that the first time I applied but not the second.  I suspect it depends on the admissions person assigned to you.
(11-22-2021, 04:03 PM)degree4nana Wrote: A COSC admissions advisor just confirmed that "most programming courses" satisfy the logic requirement.    Here's a related excerpt from the email conversation:

"I was also informed that most programming courses will satisfy the logic requirement as would a general logic course typically found in mathematics or philosophy departments (such as our MAT 115).  That’s the most I can do if you have questions about non-Charter Oak courses."

On a side note, this is the second time I applied to COSC.  The first time I applied they were very willing to tell me--subsequent to receiving my academic evaluation--what courses would or would not apply to complete my degree.  I provided a small list of courses two or three different times, and every time they provided guidance.  

However, this time I got a different admissions advisor and she won't give me any information on transferability until I enroll.  The most she would give me is what I provided in my second sentence and it took a lot of persuading to even get that.   Sad

Here's a bit more of her response that might be of interest to perspective COSC students...

"Also, our agreements with non-standard course providers like Sophia, Study.com and Straighterline are currently under review therefore we can’t provide any information to students who are not currently enrolled.  It’s very likely there could be changes.

Wow. If you knew the stress I went through with the Evaluation team you'd steer clear. I had a brand new (recent) C programming course from a regionally accredited Community College with a 4.0 that I could've used in that case. I ended up taking a Philosophical Logic course the summer before I enrolled BECAUSE they didn't give me credit for Logic. THEN they fought tooth and nail to NOT credit me for THAT course, too. I had courses they acknowledged were UL but then REFUSED to give me credit for them (same person/team) because my University didn't number them UL even though there were prerequisites! I tell you they must be really hard-pressed because a few times after denying my courses my "advisor" would say, "But, we have courses at COSC that will satisfy that requirement". :/

(11-22-2021, 07:21 PM)degree4nana Wrote:
(11-22-2021, 04:10 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: They are not interested in helping u with outside courses. They need to make max money on u

I get that.  It's just interesting to me that they were willing to help with that the first time I applied but not the second.  I suspect it depends on the admissions person assigned to you.

It might be the admissions person and/or a new policy. When did you first apply? I began dealing with them May 2020-June 2020.

(11-22-2021, 04:53 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Here are some ideas.

https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

Programming Logic  (strange not listed on COSC study.com equivalency page)
Computer Science 109: Introduction to Programming

Introduction to Information Systems
Business 303: Management Information Systems

Have you graduated from COSC with a Concentration in IS? If not, I can see why you would list the last courses.

OP, focus on Programming courses like C, Java, C++ so they don't have any wiggle room. They won't accept MIS or IS as a programming course. If you get someone unknowledgeable of CS, they might try to refuse DS&A in Java or C++, etc. even though the topic is central to programming advanced software.
Ouch, COSC seems like they're going down the drain faster than I thought... If you can find a better option such as a competency based degree program at UMPI
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-22-2021, 08:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ouch, COSC seems like they're going down the drain faster than I thought... If you can find a better option such as a competency based degree program at UMPI

Unfortunately, I enrolled after they stopped accepting most ACE credit. I had to redo Statistics, just found out I took Logic for no reason and had to find an extra 9 UL credits for which I should've been credited. I ended up taking 1 more course than the 2 (cap/cornerstone) I planned for, as DSST testing was halted due to COVID. But, they gave me a $726 grant from COVID student funding, so I wasn't out of pocket much more than estimated. 

I graduated and leveraged the degree (playing up the IS concentration) to get into a good MSCS program so it worked out for me. But, I tell you from my experience they will deny any and all transfer credit outside of LL GE coursework, and specifically UL coursework is targeted because they know those are the hardest to acquire. Ask them when the review of their partnerships and/or courses under the partnership programs will be completed. An SDC computer science course, Computer Trends, was listed as an accepted UL course. After I added it as a part of my future courses they told me that the course approval depended on the topic (since trends change) and it was not currently approved.

Again, get all course approvals in writing before starting the courses. They might tell you they've stopped accepting any course WHILE you're in the middle of taking it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,926 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC BA Phycology Degree plan needed vetvso 16 2,621 02-08-2022, 03:49 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Studies - American Arts creationstory 1 775 11-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  General Studies Paralegal studies Raine 19 2,920 09-26-2021, 01:46 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Help mapping a COSC BA General Studies HBCIRCA14 0 891 02-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Last Post: HBCIRCA14
  COSC Biology Concentration NA satori 3 1,141 11-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,514 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  General Studies? Brichinica 3 1,384 07-05-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cosc degree in american studies Clepking100 3 1,262 05-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Cosc accepts information systems clep in lieu of MIS Clepking100 1 726 05-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Last Post: ctcarl