Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Want to Earn a COSC degree? Start Here!!
(02-24-2021, 11:07 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Fountains of Roses Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:34 AM)natshar Wrote: Cheapest Possible Degree. You still must pay:
  • Application Fee (one time fee)
  • Course Fee per credit taken at COSC (tuition)
  • Student Services Fee (per semester)
  • Technology Fee (per semester)
  • Even if you do the bare minimum you must pay for fees for 2 semesters worth and 6 credits worth of tuition.
  • Graduation Fee (once you graduate)

nathshar, 
Can you expand on "Even if you do the bare minimum you must pay for fees for 2 semesters worth and 6 credits worth of tuition." We are currently trying to develop a degree plan for daughter to do COSC BA General Studies.
-not liking the choice of online concentrations
- and from the forums, I only see 3 or 4 courses thorough SDC and DSST that can be used for UL. Thus, I am wondering more about the 2 semester statement in case it is the answer to reaching the 30 credit UL requirement. Thank you.

I am referring the fact that there are two courses that must be taken at COSC (capstone and cornerstone) and they can not be taken during the same semester. 

I don't know the exact courses for exact degrees. And I'm just saying hypothetically if someone had previous RA credit (or ACE credit) that was upper level and had 114 credits transferred in, they would still need 2 semesters at COSC. I am not sure if 114 credits for a bachelor's can be found to meet all requirements from ACE anymore or not.

I don't think you have to take 2 semesters at COSC - I think you can do the cornerstone in the 1st half of the term, and the capstone in the 2nd half, and only do 1 full semester (they have 2 8-week terms in each semester).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-25-2021, 08:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 11:07 PM)natshar Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 02:40 PM)Fountains of Roses Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 10:34 AM)natshar Wrote: Cheapest Possible Degree. You still must pay:
  • Application Fee (one time fee)
  • Course Fee per credit taken at COSC (tuition)
  • Student Services Fee (per semester)
  • Technology Fee (per semester)
  • Even if you do the bare minimum you must pay for fees for 2 semesters worth and 6 credits worth of tuition.
  • Graduation Fee (once you graduate)

nathshar, 
Can you expand on "Even if you do the bare minimum you must pay for fees for 2 semesters worth and 6 credits worth of tuition." We are currently trying to develop a degree plan for daughter to do COSC BA General Studies.
-not liking the choice of online concentrations
- and from the forums, I only see 3 or 4 courses thorough SDC and DSST that can be used for UL. Thus, I am wondering more about the 2 semester statement in case it is the answer to reaching the 30 credit UL requirement. Thank you.

I am referring the fact that there are two courses that must be taken at COSC (capstone and cornerstone) and they can not be taken during the same semester. 

I don't know the exact courses for exact degrees. And I'm just saying hypothetically if someone had previous RA credit (or ACE credit) that was upper level and had 114 credits transferred in, they would still need 2 semesters at COSC. I am not sure if 114 credits for a bachelor's can be found to meet all requirements from ACE anymore or not.

I don't think you have to take 2 semesters at COSC - I think you can do the cornerstone in the 1st half of the term, and the capstone in the 2nd half, and only do 1 full semester (they have 2 8-week terms in each semester).

I just want to confirm that for the B.S. in GENERAL STUDIES degree you can take the 2 courses in one semester - split up as two 8 week terms: Fall Term 1 and Fall Term 2. Unfortunately, some of the other degrees are set up differently so you would NOT be able to complete the 2 courses in one term.
Does COSC allow sophia.org or other alternative credits to be the 15 credits for a second associate or 30 credits for a second bachelor degree?

Say someone gets a TESU associate of science in 2018. Then they take a bunch of sophia.org or other alternative credits. Could they then get a COSC associate or bachelor in general studies degree with those alternative credits (Sophia, DANTE, etc.) counting as the "new" college credits after their previous degree was conferred?

I know there's likely not much "value" in multiple generic degrees... but I'm just wondering if those count. I know a middle-aged person wanting to get a second bachelor from somewhere to modernize her resume (and remove the old 1990s graduation date).
(12-07-2021, 03:28 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: Does COSC allow sophia.org or other alternative credits to be the 15 credits for a second associate or 30 credits for a second bachelor degree?

Say someone gets a TESU associate of science in 2018. Then they take a bunch of sophia.org or other alternative credits. Could they then get a COSC associate or bachelor in general studies degree with those alternative credits (Sophia, DANTE, etc.) counting as the "new" college credits after their previous degree was conferred?

I know there's likely not much "value" in multiple generic degrees... but I'm just wondering if those count. I know a middle-aged person wanting to get a second bachelor from somewhere to modernize her resume (and remove the old 1990s graduation date).

Hi,
Check out the info provided here:
https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...degree.php
[-] The following 1 user Likes vanglorious's post:
  • Skirtlet
(12-07-2021, 03:28 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: I know there's likely not much "value" in multiple generic degrees... but I'm just wondering if those count. I know a middle-aged person wanting to get a second bachelor from somewhere to modernize her resume (and remove the old 1990s graduation date).

Perhaps UMPI  for a Bachelor's instead? The cost would be roughly the same, or only slightly more than, a second degree from COSC. Almost certainly faster, too.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Skirtlet
(12-07-2021, 04:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 03:28 PM)Skirtlet Wrote: I know there's likely not much "value" in multiple generic degrees... but I'm just wondering if those count. I know a middle-aged person wanting to get a second bachelor from somewhere to modernize her resume (and remove the old 1990s graduation date).

Perhaps UMPI  for a Bachelor's instead? The cost would be roughly the same, or only slightly more than, a second degree from COSC. Almost certainly faster, too.

Thanks, I didn't know UMPI was generous with transfer credits. I think that would work well for her to modernize her skills and resume a bit. She's got good work experience but some gaps in work history raising a family so a newer degree should help her a little. I personally think she should consider a master's, but another 15 or so credits of undergrad would probably be a lot cheaper.
(12-07-2021, 04:40 PM)Skirtlet Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 04:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know UMPI was generous with transfer credits. I think that would work well for her to modernize her skills and resume a bit. She's got good work experience but some gaps in work history raising a family so a newer degree should help her a little. I personally think she should consider a master's, but another 15 or so credits of undergrad would probably be a lot cheaper.

UMPI is very generous with transfer credits. With a first Bachelor's degree, I think all GEC requirements are waived (so no science-with-a-lab and no foreign language, I think). I'd get in touch with ss20ts about the policy for 2nd degrees at UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Skirtlet

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,685 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,745 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,287 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,646 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,168 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  Help with Degree Plan origamishuttle 12 1,898 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium