Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting Rid of My Record at a School
natshar Wrote:Six months ago, I participated in a program where I was allowed to take one online course for free through a University. The problem was they had an extremely limited selection. The course I choose either wouldn't transfer or would only work as a free elective to every college I looked into. Upon realizing this, I had no use for this course. However, if I took a W I would have to pay the full tuition, so I stopped trying. I ended up getting a an F. It was the only course I ever took at that University.

So, have you email or chat with the university in question about the academic/course forgiveness or to see if you can take the course again for a discount/audit. Can you ask to have that class changed from a credit course to an audit course? Ask for your options and see if you can get it done for cheap, or free if at all possible. Can you ask them to provide you that "free course" again as a "redo". Then post here your options...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I had something like this happen. I took one class at a university and then the job I was working at, suddenly decided they would no longer honor the schedule i had worked out with them that enabled me to attend class.... so I had to choose between losing my job (hard to find another in a very small college town) and losing the class. I tried to withdraw but the university said i couldn't because i was past the deadline for withdrawal. All i could do, was stop going and get an F. so now i have that one transcript with an F on it.
Get a new identity, such as joining the French Foreign Legion and getting a new name and passport.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 4 users Like clep3705's post:
  • davewill, Life_One, quigongene, tifferbugz
To my knowledge, unless you can talk the original school into removing the grade, you're stuck. I enrolled in one CC class the summer after high school, was in a car accident and had to drop out. The professor thought she was doing me a favor and gave me a "C" despite my never completing the course. That despised "C" is the first grade that shows up on all my transcripts - it even affected my GPA 30+ years later. I know it could be a lot worse, but yeah, it still bugs me...
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
(06-01-2019, 04:39 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote: To my knowledge, unless you can talk the original school into removing the grade, you're stuck. I enrolled in one CC class the summer after high school, was in a car accident and had to drop out. The professor thought she was doing me a favor and gave me a "C" despite my never completing the course. That despised "C" is the first grade that shows up on all my transcripts - it even affected my GPA 30+ years later. I know it could be a lot worse, but yeah, it still bugs me...

how does it affect your gpa if it''s a letter grade but not numerical? i always wondered that
(06-01-2019, 10:24 PM)saraholson Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 04:39 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote: To my knowledge, unless you can talk the original school into removing the grade, you're stuck. I enrolled in one CC class the summer after high school, was in a car accident and had to drop out. The professor thought she was doing me a favor and gave me a "C" despite my never completing the course. That despised "C" is the first grade that shows up on all my transcripts - it even affected my GPA 30+ years later. I know it could be a lot worse, but yeah, it still bugs me...

how does it affect your gpa if it''s a letter grade but not numerical? i always wondered that

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-26-2019, 11:44 AM)natshar Wrote: Six months ago, I participated in a program where I was allowed to take one online course for free through a University. The problem was they had an extremely limited selection. The course I choose either wouldn't transfer or would only work as a free elective to every college I looked into. Upon realizing this, I had no use for this course. However, if I took a W I would have to pay the full tuition, so I stopped trying. I ended up getting a an F. It was the only course I ever took at that University.

I realized that now this grade is on my record. I applied to a school and had to send the transcripts from every University I attended. I realize this is kind of annoying to have a single course with an F grade that I'll always have send when someone requests transcripts.

Is there any way I have the school delete my data as if I never attended it? Anyone got anything to help me out.

EDIT: If anyone says you don't have send all transcripts. After I graduated from community college I applied to a University. I had taken one course at a second community college as well, but never send it to the University. I got an e-mail from the National Clearing House saying that I must send all transcripts in order to even be considered for acceptance.
And before anyone with ACE credit freaks out about all the transcripts they'll have to sent, this only applies to transcripts from colleges and universities.
While I don't have a solution for you beyond what others here have suggested, I just wanted to reply to you and let you know that I am in a similar situation. My CC college that I went to 18 years ago does have an Academic Forgiveness Policy. However, they would not allow me to have it erased over the phone and I must go to the campus in-person and have an appointment to make it happen. It will be a hassle but if I must I will travel there to take care of it. 

I don't want to have any issues with the National Student Clearing House or anything popping up at Graduation Time. My understanding currently is that potential employers verify a candidate's degree with the National Student Clearing House, or at least the background check firms that they hire do. Here is my original email to TESU and their response (I understand that TESU's response does not factor in the National Student Clearing House and their own independent actions):

Thank you for the reply. Would there be any issues when I try to graduate? Someone online who is not an employee of TESU said that TESU uses the National Student Clearing House to do background checks before graduation and that my bad grades from 18 years ago might show up then. That does not make sense to me but I just wanted to check with you before I submit my application.  

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 1:02:54 PM CST, StuSupport <StuSupport@tesu.edu> wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your email. We do not include your previous credits when calculating your GPA. Only your TESU courses are factored in to the GPA.
You are not required to submit your transcripts when you apply. If you do not plan on submitting your transcripts, please do not list them on the application. Otherwise the Registrar's office will be waiting on them to do an evaluation for you and can cause a delay in you setting up an Academic Advising appointment.
Please let us know if you have further questions and we will be more than happy to help you. Thank you.

(I edited out the name and contact info)
Admissions and Enrollment Services Counselor
Office of Admissions & Enrollment Services
Thomas Edison State University
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(06-01-2019, 04:39 PM)SuZQ2 Wrote: That despised "C" is the first grade that shows up on all my transcripts - it even affected my GPA 30+ years later. I know it could be a lot worse, but yeah, it still bugs me...

I'm not sure I understand how it is the "first grade that shows up on all my transcripts".  I don't even know what that means.

And yes, it will affect your overall GPA.  But, it's only 1 grade.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-02-2019, 01:02 AM)AwardTour Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 11:44 AM)natshar Wrote: Six months ago, I participated in a program where I was allowed to take one online course for free through a University. The problem was they had an extremely limited selection. The course I choose either wouldn't transfer or would only work as a free elective to every college I looked into. Upon realizing this, I had no use for this course. However, if I took a W I would have to pay the full tuition, so I stopped trying. I ended up getting a an F. It was the only course I ever took at that University.

I realized that now this grade is on my record. I applied to a school and had to send the transcripts from every University I attended. I realize this is kind of annoying to have a single course with an F grade that I'll always have send when someone requests transcripts.

Is there any way I have the school delete my data as if I never attended it? Anyone got anything to help me out.

EDIT: If anyone says you don't have send all transcripts. After I graduated from community college I applied to a University. I had taken one course at a second community college as well, but never send it to the University. I got an e-mail from the National Clearing House saying that I must send all transcripts in order to even be considered for acceptance.
And before anyone with ACE credit freaks out about all the transcripts they'll have to sent, this only applies to transcripts from colleges and universities.
While I don't have a solution for you beyond what others here have suggested, I just wanted to reply to you and let you know that I am in a similar situation. My CC college that I went to 18 years ago does have an Academic Forgiveness Policy. However, they would not allow me to have it erased over the phone and I must go to the campus in-person and have an appointment to make it happen. It will be a hassle but if I must I will travel there to take care of it. 

I don't want to have any issues with the National Student Clearing House or anything popping up at Graduation Time. My understanding currently is that potential employers verify a candidate's degree with the National Student Clearing House, or at least the background check firms that they hire do. Here is my original email to TESU and their response (I understand that TESU's response does not factor in the National Student Clearing House and their own independent actions):

Thank you for the reply. Would there be any issues when I try to graduate? Someone online who is not an employee of TESU said that TESU uses the National Student Clearing House to do background checks before graduation and that my bad grades from 18 years ago might show up then. That does not make sense to me but I just wanted to check with you before I submit my application.  

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 1:02:54 PM CST, StuSupport <StuSupport@tesu.edu> wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your email. We do not include your previous credits when calculating your GPA. Only your TESU courses are factored in to the GPA.
You are not required to submit your transcripts when you apply. If you do not plan on submitting your transcripts, please do not list them on the application. Otherwise the Registrar's office will be waiting on them to do an evaluation for you and can cause a delay in you setting up an Academic Advising appointment.
Please let us know if you have further questions and we will be more than happy to help you. Thank you.

Weird. This advice from Admissions seems to go against everything experienced ppl on the forum have said. If it were as simple as “don’t submit transcripts if you don’t want them counted” then a lot of people would choose not to submit. I’m skeptical of this
(06-02-2019, 12:39 PM)saraholson Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 01:02 AM)AwardTour Wrote:

Hello,

Weird. This advice from Admissions seems to go against everything experienced ppl on the forum have said. If it were as simple as “don’t submit transcripts if you don’t want them counted” then a lot of people would choose not to submit. I’m skeptical of this

I agree, I am skeptical as well which is why I am keeping a copy of the original email and stu support ticket# as proof. Even if I did submit my transcripts they are claiming that it would not be counted in my GPA. If any issues do pop up at graduation time then I will relay what happens back on this message board.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,717 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 246 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 339 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Brown Medical School withdraws from U.S. News rankings allvia 2 457 10-30-2023, 09:51 PM
  How Technology Shapes Ideas - University of Chicago Graham School Charles Fout 0 268 09-15-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  ACSOM - Caribbean Medical School (New!) bjcheung77 9 1,148 09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UK equivalent of high school diploma axa 8 4,579 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM
  High School online from the UK | 9 months, A Levels equivalent in the US elcastor21 7 690 08-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: elcastor21