Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting SDC Tuition Discount @ TESU
I remember seeing on here that I will have to email/call to get the Study.com tuition discount added to my student account at TESU. My question is who/what department should I contact?

The community college I have been taking classes at published their course list for spring term today, and they have exactly nothing that will fit into my degree plan, so I'm going to start taking TESU courses sooner than anticipated.

Another question: it appears TESU has already offered me financial aid for the April term, do you guys know what else I need to know in order to receive those rewards? 6 credits = full time, correct?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-15-2019, 05:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I remember seeing on here that I will have to email/call to get the Study.com tuition discount added to my student account at TESU. My question is who/what department should I contact?

If you take Study.com courses and transfer them to TESU as part of your initial evaluation, and select Study.com affiliate on the application, it may happen without needing to call. If it doesn't get flagged automatically, then you just call and speak to someone in the registrar or advising, they can add the flag for you.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
You can't receive aid from two schools at the same time. So you either need to choose your local college or TESU. If you are or have been receiving aid from your local college you have to cancel it first.
Merlin - It doesn't appear to be in my account automatically, but I'm not 100% sure. How can I tell for certain?

Natshar - I won't be taking classes simultaneously at both schools, so I won't be receiving aid at the CC at the same time as TESU
Completed:

Up Next:

(02-15-2019, 08:15 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Merlin - It doesn't appear to be in my account automatically, but I'm not 100% sure. How can I tell for certain?

Log into OSS and look at your academic profile. It will say corporate choice and either applied or enrolled under the status field in you've got the study.com affiliate flag set.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-15-2019, 05:36 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Another question: it appears TESU has already offered me financial aid for the April term, do you guys know what else I need to know in order to receive those rewards? 6 credits = full time, correct?

6 = part time, 12+ is full time
D'oh! 6, 12 same difference, right?

It is a little weird (though not surprising) that TESU has a "normal" full-time threshold given that they have a mismatch between their term length (which is quarter-length) and their credit system (which is semester hours). In order to earn the same credits at CC that I have to take to barely clear the F/T threshold at TESU, I'd have to take 18 credits in the same length term (which I'd have to get a special waiver for). I would imagine it's based on federal requirements, which begs the question: why does TESU have that mismatch?
Completed:

Up Next:

(02-15-2019, 11:22 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: D'oh! 6, 12 same difference, right?

It is a little weird (though not surprising) that TESU has a "normal" full-time threshold given that they have a mismatch between their term length (which is quarter-length) and their credit system (which is semester hours). In order to earn the same credits at CC that I have to take to barely clear the F/T threshold at TESU, I'd have to take 18 credits in the same length term (which I'd have to get a special waiver for). I would imagine it's based on federal requirements, which begs the question: why does TESU have that mismatch?

I remember using financial aid at TESU for myself when I worked on my BA. I took 30 credits with them as classes, lasting 4 terms. To do full time, you'll have to do 30 credits in a year, but they'll help you can spread it out so the right distribution to use your financial aid.
Here's what my transcript has:
Q1: 6 credits (2 classes)
Q2: 12 credits (4 classes)
Q3: 6 credits (2 classes)
Q4: 6 credits (1 class that was 6 credits)

I'm sure I could have done it differently, but they were good about helping me pick.
Do you know if they pro-rate that 30 credit threshold if you don't spend a whole year (and therefore don't get financial aid for the whole year)?

Would you recommend emailing/calling financial aid? I guess I'm stuck in the mindset of TESU being really unhelpful but I guess that might not be the case for courses I actually take through them (and also might not apply to the financial aid department)

Thanks for the advice!
Completed:

Up Next:

(02-16-2019, 12:52 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Do you know if they pro-rate that 30 credit threshold if you don't spend a whole year (and therefore don't get financial aid for the whole year)?

Would you recommend emailing/calling financial aid? I guess I'm stuck in the mindset of TESU being really unhelpful but I guess that might not be the case for courses I actually take through them (and also might not apply to the financial aid department)

Thanks for the advice!

It is for sure that the do prorate based on the number of credits/courses you take. I can't remember what formula they used or how the rule of thumb works for number of courses to take, it's just been too long for this old brain. Wink But the FA office can tell you that much without you being enrolled I'm sure- you'll just want to give them as much info as you can - something like "if I qualify for a full Pell Grant, and plan to take 30 credits in 1 year, how does that break out since you guys have 4 terms per year" and they'll tell you. That way you can decide about choosing full or part time, and you'll know how to divide it up yourself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch