Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting your Master with alternative credit sources
Hello,

Does anyone of you know if the Big Three's do accept alternative credit sources for their Masters degree? 
And, if yes, which website do give these courses?

I have seen that study.com gives "Business 202: Introduction to E-Commerce" for pursuing your graduate degree.

Regards,
Tom
The Big 3 will accept transfer credit at the master level... the problem is finding places that offer graduate level alternative credit. There is almost nothing available.

The course you linked to, for example, is both undergraduate and lower level. It won’t fit into a Masters program.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I guess we need 400 level courses for a graduate program?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
The only inexpensive MA level courses I've seen are all for teachers, and are EDU courses. There are a FEW that might be classified as something else, but in general they are EDU courses. And that means that unless you're going for a MA degree in Education, they usually won't fit into the MA program you want (for example, if you're wanting to get an MBA at TESU, they won't take any EDU courses).

BTW - I know you didn't ask, but I don't think anyone on this forum recommends a MA from any of the Big 3. They are just WAY too expensive. There are better options almost anywhere else.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-01-2018, 11:32 AM)Supermind Wrote: I guess we need 400 level courses for a graduate program?

"400" level is typically UL.
The classes would need to be at the "500" or "600" level. However, the numbering system isn't standardized across all colleges.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Generally 100, 200, 300 and 400 level subjects refer to first, second, third and fourth year subjects respectively

With 300 and 400 level considered upper level undergraduate courses.

100 level courses have high school prereqs.
200 level require 100 level courses.
300 level require 200 level courses.
400 have 300 level preqs

Somewhere around the 440-499 level you do a capstone, senior project or undergrad thesis.

500 level courses generall require advanced undergrad status or graduate status to take, for example some programs that allow you to do a dual bachelors and masters generally allow you to take some 500 level courses in your undergrad years which double dip and satisfy both bachelors and masters requirements. Undergrads usually require some permission to take these.

600 and 700 level may be masters and lower doctoral level course work and masters level work.

800 and 900 level are doctoral level work.

999 or there abouts is where is all stops. You do your conclusion and oral defence at this point.

Some colleges use 1000 or 2000 or 9000 but its the same level.

This is GENERALLY speaking though. As some schoola have some weird stuff, I sae Berkely use some weird XB and X naming scheme.

Again I am saying GENERALLY based on the schools I browsed related to Comp Sci and Electrical Enginnering courses I saw names for.

Again this is MY opinion based on what I saw for US schools both NA and RA.

Also keep in mind for the social sciences, psychology, history etc A 300 or 400 level course is not necessarity more difficult than a 100 or 200 level course as many freshmen can comfortably take a say 300 level history course easily.
For example, You can pass a 300 level psyc course without doing intro to psychology.

This is an an experience I had my first year of college in my B&M school as I accidently registered for a 300 level "understanding human behavior" course instead of an intro psy course! It did pay off as 7 years later its in my UL for my BALS..lol

In fact I got my first free credits with the free UL ethics course!

For math, comp sci, engineering and most STEM courses however it is near impossible to pass upper level courses withput the prereqs. For example you cant take a 300 level Linear Algebra course if you cant pass a 100 level Algebra course.

In fact people dont do entire majors cause they are scared of doing extra math or in depth technical courses, some people are afraid of a 090s courses in math.

So just keep in mind for some subjects level mean nothing and it depends on your prerequisuite knowledge and experience.

With STEM though generally harder, the exception is SOME IT courses. I think most people can do the IT, IS, Cyber Security, MIS, Networking etc wUL courses cuase they are more 'managment' than requiring technology knowledge beyond some terminology here and there.

Again this is my opinion from browsing the forums here, reading the internet and my own experience testing out.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(11-01-2018, 12:04 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Generally 100, 200, 300 and 400 level subjects refer to first, second, third and fourth year subjects respectively

With 300 and 400 level considered upper level undergraduate courses.

100 level courses have high school prereqs.
200 level require  100 level courses.
300 level require 200 level courses.
400 have 300 level preqs

Somewhere around the 440-499 level you do a capstone, senior project or undergrad thesis.

500 level courses generall require advanced undergrad status or graduate status to take, for example some programs that allow you to do a dual bachelors and masters generally allow you to take some 500 level courses in your undergrad years which double dip and satisfy both bachelors and masters requirements. Undergrads usually require some permission to take these.

600 and 700 level may be masters and lower doctoral level course work and masters level work.

800 and 900 level are doctoral level work.

999 or there abouts is where is all stops. You do your conclusion and oral defence at this point.

Some colleges use 1000 or 2000 or 9000 but its the same level.

This is GENERALLY speaking though. As some schoola have some weird stuff, I sae Berkely use some weird XB and X naming scheme.

Again I am saying GENERALLY based on the schools I browsed related to Comp Sci and Electrical Enginnering courses I saw names for.

Again this is MY opinion based on what I saw for US schools both NA and RA.

Again this is my opinion from browsing the forums here, reading the internet and my own experience testing out.

Based on my experience of looking at hundreds, maybe thousands, of transcripts over the last 5 years, that course numbering system is NOT at all applicable to all schools.  Here in CA, none of our 9 UC's have that, and 9 of our 23 CSU's don't have that.  I've seen many, many schools that don't do it this way.

It would certainly be nice though, if that were the case.  I wish there was a more uniform standard of course numbering throughout the US.  Even better, a uniform standard for transcripts.  The best - a uniform standard of naming courses: there are literally dozens of names for English Comp I now in effect, where there used to just be a few (Freshman Composition, English 101, and English Comp I were the standards).  Drives me crazy.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You could use those cheap EDU courses at Liberty University. The MA in Interdisciplinary Studies allows you to transfer in 15 credits and you can build your own discipline.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
@dfrecore Like I said it was at the schools I looked at this was generally the case.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(11-01-2018, 02:29 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @dfrecore Like I said it was at the schools I looked at this was generally the case.

Yes, I saw that.  I was just giving my perspective, which is different from yours.  It's allowed here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 201 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,748 546,501 Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,144 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 203 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 633 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 596 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,667 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,836 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 280 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 672 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger