Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goal: Music Teacher
(11-02-2018, 04:41 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 04:37 PM)natshar Wrote: You can't be a music teacher (at least a public school) without a teaching certificate. A degree in music alone won't cut it most places. However, there are lots of alternative route to certification programs or you could do a post-baccalaureate teaching certificate. There is always WGU for a post bach. teaching cert. I just suggested Spring Arbor because they offered a music education degree.

I was more thinking about alternative teacher certification programs. However, an undergraduate program or a post-baccalaureate program that leads to certification would be best if someone can afford to quit their job during the student teaching period. It can be hard to find schools that will accept applicants with temporary license, especially if they're not STEM, ESL, or special education teachers.

Good points.
(11-01-2018, 11:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: How about WGU to become a licensed teacher, and then a MA in Music somewhere (maybe the Rio Salado program after he's done?)?

a good idea EXCEPT that a masters is risky for k12 teachers out of the gate. He'd have a hard time getting hired, especially in NC. If he were already a teacher, I think this would work because he'd have a job and they'd have to give him a raise.
My next door neighbor spent 7 academic years as a licensed teacher with a master's degree (she held a BA in something else and her license was integrated in her master's) and after 7 straight years of subbing and no contracts, she finally went into office work. My brother's master's was carefully planned (he is a high school music teacher/band director) but only started after he'd earned tenure at his high school.
(11-02-2018, 07:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 11:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: How about WGU to become a licensed teacher, and then a MA in Music somewhere (maybe the Rio Salado program after he's done?)?

a good idea EXCEPT that a masters is risky for k12 teachers out of the gate.  He'd have a hard time getting hired, especially in NC.  If he were already a teacher, I think this would work because he'd have a job and they'd have to give him a raise.  
My next door neighbor spent 7 academic years as a licensed teacher with a master's degree (she held a BA in something else and her license was integrated in her master's) and after 7 straight years of subbing and no contracts, she finally went into office work.  My brother's master's was carefully planned (he is a high school music teacher/band director) but only started after he'd earned tenure at his high school.

I should have said "or maybe the Rio Salado program after he's done."  The post-bac program.

So either:
1) the WGU BA/teaching credential, with a second bachelor's at TESU in music
2) a BA in Music from TESU and then the WGU post-bac teaching credential

I'm guessing either one will be the same price and timeline, but you could do spreadsheets for both to see which would be cheaper/faster.  But either way, he probably wants to do the teaching credential program when he's young and still living at home if possible, because it's 6 months of no pay - much easier to do when living at home with your parents than when you're out on your own.  If that's a possibility.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(11-03-2018, 01:17 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 07:42 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

a good idea EXCEPT that a masters is risky for k12 teachers out of the gate.  He'd have a hard time getting hired, especially in NC.  If he were already a teacher, I think this would work because he'd have a job and they'd have to give him a raise.  
My next door neighbor spent 7 academic years as a licensed teacher with a master's degree (she held a BA in something else and her license was integrated in her master's) and after 7 straight years of subbing and no contracts, she finally went into office work.  My brother's master's was carefully planned (he is a high school music teacher/band director) but only started after he'd earned tenure at his high school.

I should have said "or maybe the Rio Salado program after he's done."  The post-bac program.

So either:
1) the WGU BA/teaching credential, with a second bachelor's at TESU in music
2) a BA in Music from TESU and then the WGU post-bac teaching credential

I'm guessing either one will be the same price and timeline, but you could do spreadsheets for both to see which would be cheaper/faster.  But either way, he probably wants to do the teaching credential program when he's young and still living at home if possible, because it's 6 months of no pay - much easier to do when living at home with your parents than when you're out on your own.  If that's a possibility.

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a new goal nomaduser 5 659 11-14-2023, 02:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Reached my goal, for now upgrayedd 1 358 06-21-2023, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,555 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Abandoned Hymns Bring New Life to Our Christian Worship Music from Olivet University jacobmark 0 414 08-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Last Post: jacobmark
  Teacher with $303,000 in student debt... bjcheung77 13 1,887 06-08-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Credit-by-exam For Music Degree JimmyNeutron 11 2,598 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  British Music Diplomas KayV 2 1,518 12-22-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  Troops to Teacher warriortaupou 4 1,036 09-29-2020, 12:45 AM
Last Post: warriortaupou
Rainbow Becoming A Teacher Accountability livelovelaugh91897 4 1,746 09-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 2,820 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill