Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Gen Eds to start with?
Hello,
This is my first post. I’ve been reading this forum like crazy over the past 2 months and am very grateful for all the insight it provides.
I finally applied for TESU and transferred all of my credits in from a community college I attended. I’m going for a BSBA in MGMT.

My plan is to knock out my non- major specific credits first and then focus on any remaining business credits last. I’m a financial advisor and my ultimate goal is to get the Certified Financial Planner certification – the classes for which are offered through an accredited college, so after I knock out the non business stuff I’ll narrow in on if any of the certification coursework counts towards my degree at TESU.

What are some courses that are easy/quick to knock out via CLEP/study.com/etc. that would probably apply towards a degree at TESU? I want to start with the easy low hanging fruit classes first and build momentum. I know "easy" is a very subjective term.

Here is a list of credits I need in the non-business area:
Diversity 3cr
Ethics 3cr
Civic Engagement 3cr
Human Cultures 3 cr (I already took PY101 Gen Psych and MU115 history of jazz & pop music)
Natural World 4 cr
General Education 16 cr

Once I get a grasp on filling in the blanks for these credits I'll post my degree plan.

Thanks!

-Tom
The free ethics course from the Institutes is always a useful choice. I think that the Sociology CLEP for Human Cultures and Anthropology DSST for Natural World were fairly straightforward as well. I used Saylor and InstantCert to study for them. Modern States also has CLEP resources and will give you a voucher to take the CLEP for free. The Saylor CS-101 course will also work for Natural World as will the Intro to Computers courses from other providers.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • alab21
The free ethics course is good. I did sociology clep for diversity, American government clep for Civic engagement.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
For Ethics, go with the free ethics class for sure. I did it in just a couple hours and it's FREE!!

For Diversity, I did the Introductory Sociology CLEP (also free if you use the Modern States voucher). I found it pretty easy using Modern States, Crash Course and the Free-CLEP-Prep quick prep sheet.

For Civic Engagement, I did the American Government CLEP but I had a good chunk of pre-existing knowledge on that subject, so if that's not the case for you it might be worth paying to take it from another provider.

Lots of options for Human Cultures, depending on if you want to prioritize cheap or fast. For fast, I was able to complete Sophia.org's Ancient Greek Philosophers in under 90 minutes and there is (or at least used to be) a way to get it half-off, making it $75. If you're looking for cheap, there are a lot of CLEP options that (for the time being) are free with Modern States. Pick one that you have some background knowledge in so you can knock it out quickly!

I'm still working on Understanding the Physical and Natural World myself, but I did knock out three credits via OnlineDegree.com's Astronomy, which at $9 is about as cheap as you can get. If I was confident I could pass I would've done one of the CLEPs (Biology, Chemistry or Natural Sciences) and knocked it out in one fell swoop (since they're all six credits), so if you're comfortable with one of those subjects that's what I'd recommend.

For Gen Ed electives, it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what your existing credits came in as so as not to recommend a duplicate, but I found the Analyzing & Interpreting Literature CLEP to be the easiest/cheapest six credits I've seen. I didn't do any studying except answering the Modern States questions to get a voucher and scored a 71. It could also count for your Knowledge of Human Cultures. Also, do the free Sophia.org Essentials of Managing Conflict. Only one credit, but very very fast and free.

Here's a useful link with a vast list of options for each Gen Ed requirement:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ly_1,_2015
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • alab21, Murdockb
(10-18-2018, 12:49 PM)davewill Wrote: The free ethics course from the Institutes is always a useful choice. I think that the Sociology CLEP for Human Cultures and Anthropology DSST for Natural World were fairly straightforward as well. I used Saylor and InstantCert to study for them. Modern States also has CLEP resources and will give you a voucher to take the CLEP for free. The Saylor CS-101 course will also work for Natural World as will the Intro to Computers courses from other providers.

Wow, great advice! I’m curious, the ethics counts as 2 credits but my major requires 3 credits in ethics. Where does the other credit come from?
(10-19-2018, 06:23 AM)blt93933 Wrote:
(10-18-2018, 12:49 PM)davewill Wrote: The free ethics course from the Institutes is always a useful choice. I think that the Sociology CLEP for Human Cultures and Anthropology DSST for Natural World were fairly straightforward as well. I used Saylor and InstantCert to study for them. Modern States also has CLEP resources and will give you a voucher to take the CLEP for free. The Saylor CS-101 course will also work for Natural World as will the Intro to Computers courses from other providers.

Wow, great advice! I’m curious, the ethics counts as 2 credits but my major requires 3 credits in ethics. Where does the other credit come from?

TESU will give you a waiver for the 2 credit course (meaning you will not need to make up the 1 credit with ethics).  Now that the cornerstone is required that should make up the 1 credit missing overall, but for certain the the two free Sophia (1 credit each) courses can make it up (one comes in as a Gen Ed, one comes in as a Business credit)

Also, for Gen Eds here is the official TESU list to give you some idea on subjects that apply - https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(10-19-2018, 07:27 AM)allvia Wrote:
(10-19-2018, 06:23 AM)blt93933 Wrote:

TESU will give you a waiver for the 2 credit course (meaning you will not need to make up the 1 credit with ethics).  Now that the cornerstone is required that should make up the 1 credit missing overall, but for certain the the two free Sophia (1 credit each) courses can make it up (one comes in as a Gen Ed, one comes in as a Business credit)

Also, for Gen Eds here is the official TESU list to give you some idea on subjects that apply - https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2016-and-after2

Good to know! I'm going to try to knock out the ethics tonight. I'm hoping it will count towards my state life insurance CE as well Big Grin
(10-19-2018, 06:47 PM)blt93933 Wrote: Good to know! I'm going to try to knock out the ethics tonight. I'm hoping it will count towards my state life insurance CE as well Big Grin

There's a second version of it that's good for continuing education. It's not free, but it is very inexpensive if I remember right.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
It's 5 dollars or 10 dollars I dont remember which.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm Depressed, Not a Good Start LevelUP 24 3,711 09-26-2023, 02:57 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Good study advice for my TECEPS? kowenboy 3 419 09-01-2023, 11:53 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Is it possible to start multiple terms? davidtpb 3 527 12-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  If classes start Monday, December 5th, are you enrolled? Insert Name 2 453 12-02-2022, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Good for you TESU grads ! Pats20 0 708 01-31-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Intro Post: About to start BALS @ TESU rook 13 2,459 03-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU GenEds - best mix of cheap and good quality? Kartvelian 8 1,632 02-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Kartvelian
  TESU Honors/Organizations to join that look good on a resume? camjenks 0 806 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Last Post: camjenks
  TESU Course Start Date Question MrBossmanJr 2 900 01-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  When can you start your Capstone? pws 14 2,886 12-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: davewill