Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU GenEds - best mix of cheap and good quality?
I've been following this forum religiously for a few months, and after applying to TESU for a BA in Psychology last December, I'm trying to figure out my General Education requirements. I feel way out of my depth here.

With Sophia having such a great deal right now on their courses, I'd like to maximize the opportunity because I really like the Sophia platform. I've mapped out the Sophia courses that look most appealing to me, and tried to slot them in.

Am I doing this right? I've already taken the free Sophia courses (in green) am taking the two HES Poetry courses (in orange), and will be using Modern States' refunds to make the CLEPs free.

I'm not sure if I've done the Civic & Global Learning and Knowledge of Human Cultures sections correctly - will these courses transfer to TESU? Will Approaches to Studying Religions satisfy the Diversity requirement? Is Ancient Greek Philosophers okay for Human Cultures?

Any advice for me?

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU GenEds_Psych DegreeForum.xlsx (Size: 9.85 KB / Downloads: 24)
Can confirm from direct experience that Ancient Greek Philosophers works for Human Cultures.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I have no experience with making TESU degree plans, but I helped both of my son's with their degree plans at their respective colleges. I would think that the HES Poetry classes would count in the General Education electives and not need to go in Free Electives. I also think they would work for Humanities.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
You seem to have 20 Free elective units instead of 21, you could replace that student success course with a 2 (or 3) credit course, or use the poetry courses in GenEds as suggested above and fill in with 9 Free Elective credits.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-18-2019, 10:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Can confirm from direct experience that Ancient Greek Philosophers works for Human Cultures.
Wonderful - at $149, the price can't be beat!

(02-19-2019, 09:45 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I have no experience with making TESU degree plans, but I helped both of my son's with their degree plans at their respective colleges. I would think that the HES Poetry classes would count in the General Education electives and not need to go in Free Electives. I also think they would work for Humanities.
Not sure why I didn't think of this, but you're right, it should apply under GenEd Electives.

(02-19-2019, 12:08 PM)davewill Wrote: You seem to have 20 Free elective units instead of 21, you could replace that student success course with a 2 (or 3) credit course, or use the poetry courses in GenEds as suggested above and fill in with 9 Free Elective credits.
I am finding the HES Poetry courses quite fulfilling and am tempted to take the next one coming up in the Summer term as well. Maybe I could place the third Poetry course into Free Electives and move the three 1-credit Sophia courses into Free Electives.

It's frustrating that GenEd Electives has a flexible range of 17-20 credits, but Free Electives is a strict 21 credits.
(02-19-2019, 12:10 PM)Kartvelian Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 10:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Can confirm from direct experience that Ancient Greek Philosophers works for Human Cultures.
I believe if you sign up through phoenix.sophia.org, you can still use the PHOENIXHALF code to get it for $75 (I think I saw someone post about that code still working, but could be wrong).

Quote:It's frustrating that GenEd Electives has a flexible range of 17-20 credits, but Free Electives is a strict 21 credits.

The GenEd Electives fluctuates based on the number of credits you have in the Understanding the Physical and Natural World category. If you have the minimum of 4, you will need 20 credits of GenEd electives. If you have 7, you will need only 17. It needs to add up to 24 (unless you have an overage/shortage elsewhere that changes that number).
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-19-2019, 07:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: ...
The GenEd Electives fluctuates based on the number of credits you have in the Understanding the Physical and Natural World category. If you have the minimum of 4, you will need 20 credits of GenEd electives. If you have 7, you will need only 17. It needs to add up to 24 (unless you have an overage/shortage elsewhere that changes that number).

Exactly. In the end, what really controls is needing 60 credits total in the GenEd section. Any overage or shortage can push the number of electives up or down.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(02-19-2019, 07:45 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 07:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: ...

Exactly. In the end, what really controls is needing 60 credits total in the GenEd section.  Any overage or shortage can push the number of electives up or down.

This can happen in Free Electives too.  If you end up with more than 60cr in Gen Ed, they will have you take 1 or 2cr less in FE.  If you end up with extra credits in your Major/AOS, they will make the number of FE go down as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-19-2019, 07:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:10 PM)Kartvelian Wrote:
I believe if you sign up through phoenix.sophia.org, you can still use the PHOENIXHALF code to get it for $75 (I think I saw someone post about that code still working, but could be wrong).

Quote:It's frustrating that GenEd Electives has a flexible range of 17-20 credits, but Free Electives is a strict 21 credits.

Superb - thank you! This makes sense, and now I understand where the '17-20' comes from for GenEd Electives.

All that's left is to figure out whether Sophia's 'Approaches to Studying Religions' qualifies for the Diversity requirement. Based on the General Education Courses list on the TESU website, it SEEMS like it would (they have other options such as 'World Religions' as fulfilling the requirement), but I'm not sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 522 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,292 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27