Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Drive- love this!
Lindagerr Wrote::iagree: I can't even get the file to open I can see the title but it wants me to download something. I used to be very computer literate, these days I feel like a real Luddite.

I will have to ask my computer Guru husband about this tomorrow. Hey at least I download and share library books with all4 of the kindles on my Amazon account.LOL

Okay, that's a bummer. It's a pdf, which I think most people can open, maybe not? That brings up a good question- what file format is the most universally readable? Should I write my docs in richtext?
If you have more problems or your husband cant figure it out, let me know, I can help remotely.

Lindagerr Wrote::iagree: I can't even get the file to open I can see the title but it wants me to download something. I used to be very computer literate, these days I feel like a real Luddite.

I will have to ask my computer Guru husband about this tomorrow. Hey at least I download and share library books with all4 of the kindles on my Amazon account.LOL
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I finally started using google docs yesterday after my computer randomly crashed and I thought I had lost a 1,500 word essay and another one in progress. Turns out I had already saved the big one and only ended up losing a few hundred words of the new one, but this wasn't the first time I had thought my software was autosaving and it didn't. So, I had heard about google docs when I got my chromebook, but hadn't tried it out...but now...

I have my laptop downstairs with the essay I'm working on open... and... I have my chromebook upstairs opened to the same document...

So in the course of the day while I've been going up and downstairs - if I am upstairs folding laundry or whatever and an idea comes to me, I walk over to my chromebook, and add it to the essay! and magically it's edited on my laptop too, LOL

I am easily impressed, I know, but I freakin love it!

I plan on having someone look over a couple of my essays later and instead of emailing it to them I'm just going to give them my password and let them make changes if they see any huge mistakes.

I'm very happy with google docs :iagree::hurray:
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
All computers these days have zero issue with richtext right out of the box.
Word docs require Word of course, same for excel, powerpoint, etc..
PDF requires a program as well, the good is that its free from Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions
The bad, you can read or print only, you can not modify a PDF unless you buy the full version.
There are free programs to allow you to do this, but they are not by adobe.

I can reply with some other options if you want them.

cookderosa Wrote:Okay, that's a bummer. It's a pdf, which I think most people can open, maybe not? That brings up a good question- what file format is the most universally readable? Should I write my docs in richtext?
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I know I have adobe I also have Nitro pdf and Primo PDF so that is not the problem I think it has something to do with the minimal google things I use. My husband said it should be no problem I just don't know if he will get to it today. See all I have to know is we have a public network in the house that all of our desk tops and laptops back up to. We also have a 3 terabyte external drive upstairs and a 1 terabyte external drive downstairs for some back up.

Now doesn't that all sound like I know what I am talking about:roflol:
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
scorched Wrote:All computers these days have zero issue with richtext right out of the box.
Word docs require Word of course, same for excel, powerpoint, etc..
PDF requires a program as well, the good is that its free from Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions
The bad, you can read or print only, you can not modify a PDF unless you buy the full version.
There are free programs to allow you to do this, but they are not by adobe.

I can reply with some other options if you want them.

See, I like you caught on to using small words and short sentences when speaking computer-talk to me. Seriously. I'm not joking. Thanks!
scorched Wrote:Love my file sharing internet based storage.

If I can offer some alternatives for everyone's consideration, as each will get you more space to use.
box.com 10GB for the free account, and by far my favorite free account. They used to have it where if you signed up through your iphone or android they would give 50GB, which is what I have google to see if they still offer that.
dropbox.com is pretty good too, but only get 2GB.
syncplicity.com -- sorry cant go with out plugging one of the divisions of my company. We use this exclusively internally to share collaboratively around the world. Limited to 2GB for free.

Then for backup, but can be used for a shared drive, I just love backblaze.com, for $5 a month you get UNLIMITED backup, not just for you, but your families computers. on the shear unlikely loss of your entire computers data, you can get an external usb drive shipped to you, so you don't have to try and download everything.
My companies other subsidiary mozy.com is pretty good, but considering that I get a free 50GB account, and I still choose backblaze should say alot.
It's mainly because I have about 8000GB of data among all my servers, laptops, and other home stuff, so 50GB doesn't go very far.

And for simple note taking that automatically gets synced is evernote.com, this is simply the best darn app I have right now. All my business notes are in separate notebooks from my class stuff, but it's all still synchronized, I dont even have to think about it, give it a try.

Microsoft Skydrive is another big one. when I signed up they were offering 25GB for free at the time, I think its down to 8GB now not sure...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  24yr Google Engineer Saves 80% Of His Income & Plans to Retire by 30 With $1 Million LevelUP 13 1,488 03-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 671 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 921 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cousera Google offers $150 to complete IT Support Cert graduatesoon 15 3,671 02-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,707 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Did you ever google your user name? Lindagerr 9 1,945 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Help VIA Google Hangouts geissingert 0 653 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Last Post: geissingert
  What do you drive? mrs.b 29 2,748 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Free phone service SipGate+Google voice rickyjo 11 2,885 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  I.C. Test-Drive & Review [kinda long] grauwulf 5 1,219 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Last Post: grauwulf