• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google finds that STEM skills are not the most important skills
Hope this hasn't been posted already.

http://michiganfuture.org/01/2018/google...nt-skills/
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • dfrecore
A large company like Google needs people with a variety of skillsets. Obviously, Google needs lots of developers, but they also need artists, technical writers, accountants, and salespeople.

Technical skills and the humanities are not mutually exclusive. If you're a developer, being a strong writer or knowing how to play the piano might actually make you better at your job. If you choose a liberal arts major, you'll be more marketable if you possess strong digital literacy skills - for example, knowing how to make a good PowerPoint presentation or do basic data analysis in Excel.

That said, if you're trying to get your foot in the door with an entry-level technical position at a more traditional company, those companies tend to hire for specific skills - like a deep knowledge of specific programming languages - rather than important but intangible skills like creativity and collaboration.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
It is more accurate to say that Google values soft skills in its bosses and managers more than their technical skills. This being true in no way invalidates the high value of STEM skills for the rank and file employees who are managed by those with better soft skills. Look at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/business/13hire.html which says the Google study isn't about employees, it is about the managers the employees report to. The people running the company need people skills. That shouldn't surprise anybody. Most people at Google are not bosses or managers. Who do you think has a better chance of getting hired at Google? A computer science major from Stanford who made all A's in artificial intelligence and stochastic inference courses or the anthropology major from State University who took math for liberal arts majors?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • slmartin
(02-19-2018, 10:11 AM)clep3705 Wrote: It is more accurate to say that Google values soft skills in its bosses and managers more than their technical skills. This being true in no way invalidates the high value of STEM skills for the rank and file employees who are managed by those with better soft skills. Look at http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/business/13hire.html which says the Google study isn't about employees, it is about the managers the employees report to. The people running the company need people skills. That shouldn't surprise anybody. Most people at Google are not bosses or managers. Who do you think has a better chance of getting hired at Google? A computer science major from Stanford who made all A's in artificial intelligence and stochastic inference courses or the anthropology major from State University who took math for liberal arts majors?
Exactly this. Every story needs context. Click bait article really.
I remember Mark Cuban was saying that with the saturation of STEM there is a need for people who can think abstractly. That is where Liberal Arts majors come in and that they will be more valuable in the years to come.
I find it interesting that there is an MOOC trying to teach soft skills. https://www.edx.org/professional-certifi...oft-skills

(02-23-2018, 04:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: I find it interesting that there is an MOOC trying to teach soft skills. https://www.edx.org/professional-certifi...oft-skills

Good. These skills are shockingly rare in the workforce somehow.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,418 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Google IT Support vs IBM IT Support ss20ts 0 1,081 06-07-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate - ACE expiring soon? lumina 12 1,537 03-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching Theoretical Knowledge Verses Practical Skills In College LevelUP 2 1,464 02-19-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Google IT support from Coursera qualify ACE credit Imbanewbie 74 19,183 01-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Tammy Sellers
  BrightBytes acquired by Google! bjcheung77 0 586 10-15-2022, 07:28 PM
  Google Certs Now Have Industry Specializations lisarox 4 903 10-14-2022, 06:09 PM
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,639 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  What courses should I take to learn the Data skills/tools I need? Vle045 8 849 06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,102 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic