Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI?
I am curious as to what are the best MBA/Masters in Finance programs one can (or has) get into after a BBA - Accounting degree at UMPI?
Yes... Which ever one you can get into and actually graduate from, that would be my choice...
Basically... depending on your variables... Here are the 3-4 different options I would go for.

Budget: HAU MBA, WGU MSML/MBA, UMPI MAOL, UMASS Global MAOL, PUG MBA, etc
MOOC: Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, Udacity, UpGrad, etc, similar options from various providers

Partnerships: Many US/UK institutions allow people to complete UK Level 7 diplomas and top-up
In-State/Online: Affordable offerings from public/state universities mentioned in the grad section
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-04-2024, 07:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes... Which ever one you can get into and actually graduate from, that would be my choice...
Basically... depending on your variables... Here are the 3-4 different options I would go for.

Budget: HAU MBA, WGU MSML/MBA, UMPI MAOL, UMASS Global MAOL, PUG MBA, etc
MOOC: Coursera, Edx, FutureLearn, Udacity, UpGrad, etc, similar options from various providers

Partnerships: Many US/UK institutions allow people to complete UK Level 7 diplomas and top-up
In-State/Online: Affordable offerings from public/state universities mentioned in the grad section

Thanks, what do you think of the Illinois iMBA.
It's a good program, you can get it through the partnership option as I mentioned earlier. For $24K it's not too bad a deal... Having said that, I would go for their IMSM instead for half the price and it's a Masters that also has the AACSB programmatic or secondary accreditation. Many don't know that they're pretty much equal, but on their webpage, it tells you a logical progression from the IMSM to IMBA... Not many people need or want that progression, it's like having a WGU MSML, it's already got the ACBSP and good on its own.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Darknigh7
I have been admitted to a few MBA with Finance Concentration programs after the UMPI BA in accounting, but have only applied to less selective or non-competitive schools (Eastern Washington, Texas Rio Grande Valley, Marshall U and Southern Utah). I do have around 8 years worth of relevant experience in accounting/financial planning/tax, FWIW.

Remind me, OP, what stage are you in your life and career? I ask because the MBA is often used as a career pivot or stepping stone degree for people with a few years of experience or at a mid-career point. If you are in your 20s and are earning your first bachelor’s, I wouldn’t recommend an MBA at this time.

If your goal, as evidenced by your handle, is to earn the CFP, have you considered one of the master’s programs that incorporates the CFP education requirements?

Programs that I think are interesting include William Patterson University (NJ) MS in Finance and Financial Services:

https://online.wpunj.edu/degrees/busines...-planning/

Kansas State University’s MS in Financial Planning

https://online.k-state.edu/programs/pers...g-masters/

The Kansas State program is part of the Great Plains IDEA program and the masters degree/graduate certificate is offered through other area universities (including Iowa State and North Dakota State):

https://www.gpidea.org/program/family-fi...l-planning

Alternately, is your goal to try to get into a top tier (and expensive) masters program?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(04-05-2024, 08:59 AM)freeloader Wrote: If your goal, as evidenced by your handle, is to earn the CFP, have you considered one of the master’s programs that incorporates the CFP education requirements?

Programs that I think are interesting include William Patterson University (NJ) MS in Finance and Financial Services:

The Kansas State program is part of the Great Plains IDEA program and the masters degree/graduate certificate is offered through other area universities (including Iowa State and North Dakota State):

Texas Tech University has an online MS in Personal Financial Planning (not part of Great Plains IDEA) that also incorporates the CFP educational requirements.

Kansas State and Texas Tech both have low-residency or online PhDs in financial planning you might keep in mind for the future.
Hi! I've done a lot of research on this. Cost was the biggest factor for me, the cheapest masters in finance I found are: Uni of Texas Permian Basin (around 12k) and Uni of the Cumberlands (around 11k). Both fully online RA programs from brick and mortar US schools.
(04-05-2024, 08:59 AM)freeloader Wrote: I have been admitted to a few MBA with Finance Concentration programs after the UMPI BA in accounting, but have only applied to less selective or non-competitive schools (Eastern Washington, Texas Rio Grande Valley, Marshall U and Southern Utah). I do have around 8 years worth of relevant experience in accounting/financial planning/tax, FWIW.

Remind me, OP, what stage are you in your life and career?  I ask because the MBA is often used as a career pivot or stepping stone degree for people with a few years of experience or at a mid-career point. If you are in your 20s and are earning your first bachelor’s, I wouldn’t recommend an MBA at this time.

If your goal, as evidenced by your handle, is to earn the CFP, have you considered one of the master’s programs that incorporates the CFP education requirements?

Alternately, is your goal to try to get into a top tier (and expensive) masters program?
I’ve been working for 6 years (unrelated to finance), breaking into wealth management/financial planning right now. I’m not planning to get an MBA right away, just curious about the options.

I would want to get into a top MBA program, if someday I do want to pivot into high finance, but not really considering that path right now.

I have thought about a MS program that is CFP certified, but have heard from several industry folks it’s a waste of a degree/MS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 32 19,137 04-25-2024, 10:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 213 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 674 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 779 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 539 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 753 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,873 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 418 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,442 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,192 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean