Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduated
I am pleased to say I was certified today for a Bachelor of Science degree with two AoS, Information Technology and Aviation Flight.  I want to thank the members of this forum for posting experiences and alternative credit avenues.  My situation is somewhat different compared to many here; I had a great deal of B&M credits from 4 year Universities and was eligible for the discount TESU offers ALPA members.  That lowered the cost to take a few courses at TESU significantly.  TESU is probably not the best or cheapest option for everybody but it was for me.

It was a big pain and a lot of work.  ProctorU sucks (although I was very fortunate to never have any major glitches or wait times).  Physics at TESU is reasonably easy.  It is expensive since it is 4 hours but if you need it; it isn't bad.  The best advice I can give is save as much money as you can but don't forgo your degree (or the AoS you want) because of the cost of one of two courses.  Scrape the money together and do it.  One thing we can probably be assured of; it is only going to get more expensive.

Hopefully someday we see a complete revamp of the post-secondary education system in the U.S.  It's exploitative and produces relatively poor outcomes.  However in this case as in many others, it is better to have and not need than need and not have.  If you have been on the fence, get serious and get it done.

Thank all of you for sharing your stories and information.  This is a great place!
[-] The following 15 users Like tallpilot's post:
  • allvia, cerich67, dodek101, Dorothy44, Flelm, inkleind, LevelUP, LongRoad, Merlin, Muldoon, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, rpmranger, ss20ts, StoicJ
Wow, a double major in Aviation Flight and Info Technology! That's awesome! Congrats!
Yes, I also agree, TESU is a great option for some people but may not be for everyone...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • tallpilot
(11-23-2020, 11:24 PM)tallpilot Wrote: don't forgo your degree (or the AoS you want) because of the cost of one of two courses. 

Congrats! Great advice too - I think here we get a bit caught up in getting THE VERY CHEAPEST AND FASTEST degree, and forget the unquantified value in having the degree you really want over 'just any degree'.
Assuming that most concentrations will require at least one or two full cost courses is probably the healthiest way to begin to plan your total degree costs. And if it is in an area you enjoy, the courses should be an opportunity for learning and enquiry, not a miserable slog.

What are your plans with this degree? Continue study and move on to masters or another bachelor's? New job?
[-] The following 2 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • LongRoad, tallpilot
Congrats.  

I agree to get that degree done as fast as you can.  It's better to spend a little extra money than trying to save a few hundred bucks and wasting a bunch of time.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I agree to getting a degree - but not everyone has the time and/or money to take extra courses. That's why it's best to weigh the value of getting a degree you want, vs. getting a degree that will work for what you need ("dream" vs. good enough). I'm glad I spent zero extra on a "particular" degree, and just got the one that worked for the least amount of monney. I didn't have extra cash, taking the capstone was already a stretch.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • StoicJ
(11-24-2020, 04:52 AM)innen_oda Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 11:24 PM)tallpilot Wrote: don't forgo your degree (or the AoS you want) because of the cost of one of two courses. 

Congrats! Great advice too - I think here we get a bit caught up in getting THE VERY CHEAPEST AND FASTEST degree, and forget the unquantified value in having the degree you really want over 'just any degree'.
Assuming that most concentrations will require at least one or two full cost courses is probably the healthiest way to begin to plan your total degree costs. And if it is in an area you enjoy, the courses should be an opportunity for learning and enquiry, not a miserable slog.

What are your plans with this degree? Continue study and move on to masters or another bachelor's? New job?
I began the big push for this degree over the summer because I was afraid I would lose my airline job and wanted to be prepared to move into something else.  I did tech work before I went to flight school so it isn't completely foreign to me but it has been a long time.  So far my position looks far more secure now than it did in March or July, but I wouldn't say the industry is out of the proverbial woods yet.  Not having a degree was holding my airline career back so with a little luck I can end up where I expected to be at age 40 by 50.

(11-24-2020, 12:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I agree to getting a degree - but not everyone has the time and/or money to take extra courses.  That's why it's best to weigh the value of getting a degree you want, vs. getting a degree that will work for what you need ("dream" vs. good enough).  I'm glad I spent zero extra on a "particular" degree, and just got the one that worked for the least amount of monney.  I didn't have extra cash, taking the capstone was already a stretch.

I agree.  Some people are in a situation where not having a degree is holding their career progression up but it is virtually guaranteed if they obtain the credential.  In that case any degree will do so why not the cheapest?  That was in fact my original goal until the world fell apart.  Then I added the IT concentration.  That was little extra since I already had enough RA courses that I could fulfill the rest of the requirements with SDC.

Other people are in a situation where they would like to effect a career change.  In that case I respectfully submit that a no concentration BALS would be far less useful to that end (but ostensibly more useful than no degree) than a degree in a concentration related to the desired employment.  The cost difference may be several thousand dollars and I am sympathetic to the notion that is a great sum for most people.  But I see more than a few people post here and basically give up when they find out they need 1-2 'real' courses.  My point was to discourage that behavior.

If one is close to a degree now, it is a near certainty it will require more work and more expense in the future so scrape the money up if at all possible.  The key is to not give up.  I did (twice) and all it did was cost me time and money, perhaps an astonishing amount due to stymied career progression but it is impossible to prove that counterfactual.
This is awesome, congratulations! Sending you a PM.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(11-23-2020, 11:24 PM)tallpilot Wrote: I am pleased to say I was certified today for a Bachelor of Science degree with two AoS, Information Technology and Aviation Flight.  I want to thank the members of this forum for posting experiences and alternative credit avenues.  My situation is somewhat different compared to many here; I had a great deal of B&M credits from 4 year Universities and was eligible for the discount TESU offers ALPA members.  That lowered the cost to take a few courses at TESU significantly.  TESU is probably not the best or cheapest option for everybody but it was for me.

It was a big pain and a lot of work.  ProctorU sucks (although I was very fortunate to never have any major glitches or wait times).  Physics at TESU is reasonably easy.  It is expensive since it is 4 hours but if you need it; it isn't bad.  The best advice I can give is save as much money as you can but don't forgo your degree (or the AoS you want) because of the cost of one of two courses.  Scrape the money together and do it.  One thing we can probably be assured of; it is only going to get more expensive.

Hopefully someday we see a complete revamp of the post-secondary education system in the U.S.  It's exploitative and produces relatively poor outcomes.  However in this case as in many others, it is better to have and not need than need and not have.  If you have been on the fence, get serious and get it done.

Thank all of you for sharing your stories and information.  This is a great place!
Congratulations! ?
In progress: TESU BSBA-Finance , TESU BSBA-GM, UNT-Biology Completed : Clep (3 credits ), Sophia (63 credits ), Study (39 credits) TESU (9 credits ) Heart Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes AppleStarr's post:
  • tallpilot
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3426]

Attached Files
.png   a7e5a1f99f01d589b9815cad81ef323286963de3d25ea292850da963ebf5f088.0.png (Size: 81.49 KB / Downloads: 79)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • tallpilot

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Final Things You Did Before You Graduated? LevelUP 7 1,010 03-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Dorothy44
  Graduated! dodek101 20 1,742 02-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: dodek101
  Can you add a Concentration after you've already graduated? Daithi 22 3,454 09-11-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can I get new study.com courses on a tesu transcript after I've graduated? camjenks 8 1,815 05-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Graduated! Thanks for all the help! themage1028 3 996 03-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU- BALS/SS, I graduated today! JanuarySunshine 9 1,676 12-15-2018, 11:46 PM
Last Post: cookderosa