Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance Needed Re Earning Undergrad Degree in English and/or Mathematics
I've only heard about this forum, the accelerated degree program and online universities this past weekend at our festive family gathering and I'm very interested in studying this way, but I don't have the detailed information. The short research I've done on the internet revealed that it won't be possible for me to write CLEP and DSST exams because we don't have such here in South Africa. I'm 17 and have just successfully completed my SAT after my GED. Due to unforeseen circumstance, I had to start working and so currently I'm waitering in the evenings at a restaurant which I'll have to do throughout studying. So, the sooner I can earn my degree the sooner I can start working in my area of study.

My aim is to start as an undergraduate with BA English and immediately after BA mathematics, but if it's better to swap them around that will be fine with me too.

I need to know the cheapest and shortest method to earn my bachelors degree. And I also want to know where in the world will I be able to find a job with these 2 degrees. Possibly in South Africa, USA, Australia, Europe? Where are they recognized through the accelerated program and self-study method? Where do I get a study plan? How exactly do I go about this? I'm excited yet nervous too, as this is all new to me and my family.
There is no real accelerated degree "program" per se, we just know some shortcuts to earn credits and get a degree through one of 3 Regionally Accredited (RA) schools here in the US - the highest form of accreditation there is (Nationally Accredited sounds better, but isn't).  All state universities are RA - like Berkeley, UNC, Texas A&M, etc.  All of the Ivy League schools (Harvard, Yale, etc.) are RA.

So you need to start reading this forum, and you will start to learn what this is all about.  The Big 3 is what we call these schools, and they accept credit transferred from other institutions, as well as credit from ACE-recommended sources, and NCCRS-recommended sources.

Here are 2 degree plans to get you started: both are from Thomas Edison State University (TESU), and it's the English Degree.  I don't have one for math.  One plan is a generic plan for the degree, and includes all types of course providers.  The other is Shmoop focused, meaning you could get 90cr from Shmoop, and the rest wherever you want.

You will need to look up the sources of credit, and start to look into them.  Study.com is a video-based provider, with quizzes that you must pass before you can take the final exam.  Be careful, because they have courses that are NOT ACE or NCCRS-recommended, so non-credit bearing, as well as credit-bearing courses.  Straighterline (SL) has courses that are taught via eTextbooks, which come with the course, and you take quizzes before taking the final.  The advantage with SL is that it is possible to pass all of your quizzes and get a high enough grade such that you can fail the final spectacularly and still pass the course.  With the English degree, you will need to use Shmoop, another course provider.  You can look them up here, but there have been multiple complaints about the format of the teaching and exams.  But, they are the only provider where you can get all of your Upper Level (UL) coursework completed.  AND, they only cost
~$85/month, with unlimited courses available - meaning you could get MANY courses completed for a pittance.

Keep reading, and good luck!

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English.xlsx (Size: 41.25 KB / Downloads: 8)
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English (Shmoop).xlsx (Size: 39.92 KB / Downloads: 8)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Yenisei
Thank you, Mr dfrecore. I've downloaded your recommendations and I'm reading a lot about earning an online degree. Sorry for only getting back now, it is hectic at work and I had to work double shifts because the other casuals didn't come to work this week.

Is there a specific reason you only supplied a plan for TESU? It seems to be quite expensive, especially the out-of-state fee, but if you say it's best, then I'll make use of it. I see from reading a lot now, these 3 universities change their rules and regulations quite often, so I'd like to study where it is the easiest and quickest to earn my degree. Cheap is also a consideration, but if TESU is the best, then that is the route I'll go.

I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet what my next step is. Do I enroll at TESU now or do I first earn credit at the study sites you suggested and then enroll a little later? Please clarify if possible.

Thank you again for the help and for replying.
TESU is the cheapest, easiest, and quickest most of the time.

A Mathematics degree will likely take longer and cost more than others like English, because you generally can't test out of UL math courses.

English is one of the cheaper ones because of Shmoop having many English classes, but since you can't take CLEPs, there are other degrees which would be cheaper for you.

Thanks, Ideas. I really want to start with English. Math is not such a priority now, but I think if I apply for a teaching position in future, it might be good to have that on my CV as well. If TESU is the best option, then that is the university for me.

I read on quite a number of threads that a person first accumulates credits and then enroll at the university of choice, but those posts are quite dated (2016), so I don't know if that is how it is still done. Please let me know so that I don't do something that might cost me money or time.
I would start by searching Google for ACE credit registry. At that site, get registered for transcript. Then Google Sophia Learning. That site has a free one credit class in managing teams. It will take a couple of hours to complete. Then go back to the ACE page and submit the credit.
If it were me, I would enroll now. Some people wait to enroll, but you have risks of changes occurring.

One question is whether you can take Study.com classes or not. I believe someone else foreign said that Study.com had no way for them to pay, because they did not have a U.S. credit card. But if someone does TESU without the Study.com discount, it costs at least $700 or so extra.

eriehiker, this is fantastic advice and guidance; exactly what I wanted and need. Thank you so much.

I assume it works the same way with the credit I'll be earning from SL, Schmoop, Study.com etc. or do I have it wrong? I'm not familiar with all these websites yet, but I'll get there.
SL, Shmoop, and Study.com are ACE credits. They all work somewhat differently, but the ACE credit part works the same. SL, however, has a second option for transcripts/credits unlike most places.

Thank you, Ideas. Your info is really very helpful. I appreciate the help so much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,450 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 767 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,178 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,700 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 950 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 375 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader