Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HBCU Online MBAs
I am evaluating MBA programs and have decided to ask random strangers on the internet to help with this major life decision  Big Grin Cool

I already have a STEM graduate degree, and will soon have a second. 

The primary motivation for yet another degree is to have another college teaching competency (the "18 hours" kind of thing, but wrapped into a degree).

I don't have BankDude-level corporate job aspirations at all (no shade--I hope you kill it at Duke!) 

Thusly, cost is a major consideration. 

I do want an AACSB program just to avoid any future teaching restrictions (it is what it is). 

And my next-to-last requirement is a strong preference for 8 weeks or shorter terms (very tired of school, ya'll).

I've gone to the US News Online MBA ranking site, as I advised someone else to do in another post, and I've read through about 20-30 programs from there. 

The lowest cost program that seems to meet my needs is Lamar University. If this were the end of the story, I'd just go there and call it a day. 

But that last "requirement"/strong desire is what has me all twisted: 

As this is likely my last full degree, I really want to fulfill the only dream I never have: "attending" an HBCU. 

I found, by accident, that many HBCU programs don't appear on the normal ranking lists, so I've had to dig them up on my own. 

The ones I have managed to find so far (and to help future HBCU fans who see this --hello future people!  Heart ) :

Fayetteville State 
NC A&T 
Albany State
Prairie View A & M
Jackson State
Tennessee State 
Delaware State
Lincoln U of Missouri
Florida A & M U
Clafin
Morgan State
Howard

I've found that many of these are pretty expensive, and some of them do not have shorter terms, so I will need to compromise. This makes Lamar look better and better,
but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

My biggest issue is: Once I've filtered the ones that are definitely out of my $ range, how do I figure out the pros/cons without rankings or other info? 

I've tried to look at course availability, etc but I feel like I am missing something and would appreciate your collective wisdom. 

Thanks for stopping by!
[-] The following 1 user Likes blerdstheword's post:
  • Toastmaster
Beyond utilizing US News as a starting point, you could always utilize LinkedIn to see who had attended that specific school for their MBA and reach out to them to get their thoughts on the faculty, courses and overall quality of the program. Most people are more than willing to answer questions to prospective students about a program and that would help give you some insider information.

As you said, AACSB is pretty important when it comes to teaching in a business school. I am an Adjunct Professor at an AACSB Accredited business school and that is one of their requirements.

I will say, if you have a specific interest within the business world(Finance, Accounting, Business Analytics, Management, etc.) it would be advantageous to look into specialized masters programs to meet the 18+ credit hour requirement. The MBA is a generalized degree and typically does not satisfy the subject matter requirement.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • blerdstheword
(10-28-2020, 06:53 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: As you said, AACSB is pretty important when it comes to teaching in a business school. I am an Adjunct Professor at an AACSB Accredited business school and that is one of their requirements.

I will say, if you have a specific interest within the business world(Finance, Accounting, Business Analytics, Management, etc.) it would be advantageous to look into specialized masters programs to meet the 18+ credit hour requirement. The MBA is a generalized degree and typically does not satisfy the subject matter requirement.

Thanks for the advice. Did you get the 18 hours to qualify you for that gig during your MBA?

Accounting and Finance are the concentrations that make the most ¢ent$ but I lack the 100 undergrad accounting classes that are usually required. 

It is also harder to find a specialized masters at these particular schools :Sad

Hopefully I'll be able to cobble 18 hours together anyway somehow.
(10-28-2020, 08:51 AM)blerdstheword Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 06:53 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: As you said, AACSB is pretty important when it comes to teaching in a business school. I am an Adjunct Professor at an AACSB Accredited business school and that is one of their requirements.

Thanks for the advice. Did you get the 18 hours to qualify you for that gig during your MBA?

Accounting and Finance are the concentrations that make the most ¢ent$ but I lack the 100 undergrad accounting classes that are usually required. 

It is also harder to find a specialized masters at these particular schools :Sad

Hopefully I'll be able to cobble 18 hours together anyway somehow.
I am likely one of the select few who do not have the 18+ hours in a specific subject matter. I was an Assistant Vice President of a Financial Institution and now I am a Financial Advisor at an independent Wealth Management firm. The Finance Department at this business school wanted me due in part to my professional experience in the field. Factor in that I am working on a specialized masters at Duke, I think they felt I was more than competent to teach the topics I am teaching.

I always recommend going to the best school that you can get into and can afford. If one of these HBCU’s is one of the best you can get into and the most you can afford, then it is the best school for you and with some elbow grease, should help you achieve your goals.

I would recommend networking as well when you get into the program. Not just with classmates but with professors. That helps quite a bit.

• blerdstheword
(10-28-2020, 09:49 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I am likely one of the select few who do not have the 18+ hours in a specific subject matter. I was an Assistant Vice President of a Financial Institution and now I am a Financial Advisor at an independent Wealth Management firm. The Finance Department at this business school wanted me due in part to my professional experience in the field. Factor in that I am working on a specialized masters at Duke, I think they felt I was more than competent to teach the topics I am teaching.

I always recommend going to the best school that you can get into and can afford. If one of these HBCU’s is one of the best you can get into and the most you can afford, then it is the best school for you and with some elbow grease, should help you achieve your goals.

I would recommend networking as well when you get into the program. Not just with classmates but with professors. That helps quite a bit.

That makes total sense! 

I would tend to agree with your advice about the best.

In my case, my performance with the other two grad degrees could potentially help me gain admission to a pretty good non-HBCU, if I wanted, but even when this was not
my focus, I just aimed for the lowest cost decent place and focused on the 8 week class thing (because seriously * i am tired of school! * ) .....

So much of this is about the HBCU dream than anything else....I think if it were not for this I might not even be thinking of a full degree program at all, and just opt to collect credits. I will already have a STEM masters and doctorate, but I know I'd forever regret not at least trying to hold on for a little longer so that I can say I did this. 

You know, I used you as an example of the direction I was *not* going into, but your story makes me think you'd be able to relate: you didn't technically need another business degree, but you're doing this for yourself (and the networking/benefits, of course).
Do these lists help you at all?

https://ripplematch.com/journal/article/...-e3bed28f/

https://www.noodle.com/articles/hbcu-mba-programs

https://www.nitrocollege.com/blog/online...ine-degree

https://hbcubuzz.com/2020/03/top-graduat...for-hbcus/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • blerdstheword
My undergrad is from Fayetteville State University because I also wanted to attend a HBCU.  I live in NC and the undergrad and graduate tuition is ridiculously low for in-state (not sure about out of state tuition).  Also, they offer a book rental program, I think it's now $105 and change for up to 11 credits, and just over $200 for 12+ credits.  Graduate students can opt in to the book rental program if the cost is less for them.  FSU is awesome if you're looking for that HBCU experience, even if you're online as the pride of being a HBCU is quite evident - the hubs and I did make the drive for homecoming last year and it was great!  I had a very positive experience with both my professors and administration for my BS.  They do use Canvas for online learning, and I've enjoyed that format out of all the online platforms I've experienced.  I'm getting ready to start a master's program through them in the spring, and I'm excited to return to FSU.
[-] The following 2 users Like CatsDomino's post:
  • blerdstheword, Toastmaster
(10-28-2020, 02:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Do these lists help you at all?

Thanks! Some were a part of my initial search but I had not seen them all.

(10-28-2020, 03:02 PM)CatsDomino Wrote: My undergrad is from Fayetteville State University because I also wanted to attend a HBCU.  I live in NC and the undergrad and graduate tuition is ridiculously low for in-state (not sure about out of state tuition).  Also, they offer a book rental program, I think it's now $105 and change for up to 11 credits, and just over $200 for 12+ credits.  Graduate students can opt in to the book rental program if the cost is less for them.  FSU is awesome if you're looking for that HBCU experience, even if you're online as the pride of being a HBCU is quite evident - the hubs and I did make the drive for homecoming last year and it was great!  I had a very positive experience with both my professors and administration for my BS.  They do use Canvas for online learning, and I've enjoyed that format out of all the online platforms I've experienced.  I'm getting ready to start a master's program through them in the spring, and I'm excited to return to FSU.

Thanks so much for this information! Congrats and good luck with the Master's!

I bet homecoming is insane. 

The FSU in-state tuition is awesome (do you and hubs need a roommate ? lol) but the out of state tuition isn't as bad as others. FSU is like 18k compared to 35k or so for NC A & T and others, and 90k+ for Howard...but FSU is ranked just a few spots behind Howard (88 and 70 respectively in the online mba rankings) .  

The big downside for FSU is the long classes....I am trying to get past that but I strongly prefer shorter terms.
(10-28-2020, 06:43 PM)blerdstheword Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 02:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Do these lists help you at all?

Thanks! Some were a part of my initial search but I had not seen them all.

(10-28-2020, 03:02 PM)CatsDomino Wrote: My undergrad is from Fayetteville State University because I also wanted to attend a HBCU.  I live in NC and the undergrad and graduate tuition is ridiculously low for in-state (not sure about out of state tuition).  Also, they offer a book rental program, I think it's now $105 and change for up to 11 credits, and just over $200 for 12+ credits.  Graduate students can opt in to the book rental program if the cost is less for them.  FSU is awesome if you're looking for that HBCU experience, even if you're online as the pride of being a HBCU is quite evident - the hubs and I did make the drive for homecoming last year and it was great!  I had a very positive experience with both my professors and administration for my BS.  They do use Canvas for online learning, and I've enjoyed that format out of all the online platforms I've experienced.  I'm getting ready to start a master's program through them in the spring, and I'm excited to return to FSU.

Thanks so much for this information! Congrats and good luck with the Master's!

I bet homecoming is insane. 

The FSU in-state tuition is awesome (do you and hubs need a roommate ? lol) but the out of state tuition isn't as bad as others. FSU is like 18k compared to 35k or so for NC A & T and others, and 90k+ for Howard...but FSU is ranked just a few spots behind Howard (88 and 70 respectively in the online mba rankings) .  

The big downside for FSU is the long classes....I am trying to get past that but I strongly prefer shorter terms.

Homecoming was amazing!  The hubs and I had such a great time, and the sense of community was something that I'll never forget.  I was so sad that COVID ruined things this year.  FSU is pretty progressive with their scheduling and you can find eight-week classes throughout the disciplines in both undergrad and graduate classes.  Spring registration begins Nov. 2 and you can actually view the upcoming semester's schedule of classes right now.  Good luck in your decision!  

Here's the link to class schedules.  Just choose Class Schedules and in the drop down Spring 2021.  https://www.uncfsu.edu/current-students/...-resources
[-] The following 1 user Likes CatsDomino's post:
  • blerdstheword
(10-28-2020, 02:36 PM)blerdstheword Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 09:49 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I am likely one of the select few who do not have the 18+ hours in a specific subject matter. I was an Assistant Vice President of a Financial Institution and now I am a Financial Advisor at an independent Wealth Management firm. The Finance Department at this business school wanted me due in part to my professional experience in the field. Factor in that I am working on a specialized masters at Duke, I think they felt I was more than competent to teach the topics I am teaching.

That makes total sense! 

I would tend to agree with your advice about the best.

In my case, my performance with the other two grad degrees could potentially help me gain admission to a pretty good non-HBCU, if I wanted, but even when this was not
my focus, I just aimed for the lowest cost decent place and focused on the 8 week class thing (because seriously * i am tired of school! * ) .....

So much of this is about the HBCU dream than anything else....I think if it were not for this I might not even be thinking of a full degree program at all, and just opt to collect credits. I will already have a STEM masters and doctorate, but I know I'd forever regret not at least trying to hold on for a little longer so that I can say I did this. 

You know, I used you as an example of the direction I was *not* going into, but your story makes me think you'd be able to relate: you didn't technically need another business degree, but you're doing this for yourself (and the networking/benefits, of course).
I feel ya. I absolutely did this for the networking as well as job prospects in academics. One of my mentors is the President and CEO of US Polo and this is due in large part to our undergrad connection and Duke connection. This has been a phenomenal experience for me that I would not be able to put a price tag on.

I certainly say follow your dreams!

• blerdstheword

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 249 5 hours ago
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 285 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 261 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,232 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 491 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 3,991 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,653 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  Master's in Online or Digital Marketing resistk 2 321 02-13-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: resistk