Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP to decide -Computer Science/Engineering/IT
UPDATED WITH MORE INFO:

I have a high school senior who has taken a bunch of college classes so far.  He wants to go into a computer field, but is currently stuck as to which direction he should go (i.e. WHICH computer field...Computer Science (BS, BA), Computer Engineering, IT, Cyber security etc).  

Advice on how to help him figure out which area is best for him?  At this point, we are leaning toward a computer science degree through TESU because it is a flexible degree.  (We live in NJ).

I want to specifically start on degree planning with him so we don't take classes that won't count toward a major.  At this point, we are just looking at online class options.  

Here are the classes he's taken so far.
English 101 (ASU)
Macroeconomics (ASU)
Computer App and Info Tech (ASU)
Intro to Programming (ASU)
General Chemistry for Engineers (ASU)
Biology (Faith Bible College)
US History 1 (CLEP)
Accounting for Business (ASU...took the class, but have not paid for credit yet)

Thank you for your help!
Computer science is more about learning how the internal structures of a computer work and how it interfaces with the software. Computer Engineering is how the hardware works and how to make it. IT is more about the hands-on application of that knowledge. There is some variation there (I.E., you can find programmers with both IT and CS degrees). IT is a more common degree to find alternatively. For CS, there is currently really only TESU; and even that's a bit iffy at the moment. I don't know of any Computer Engineering degrees that can be obtained (easily) via alternate credit.

Is he planning on getting a degree as soon as he turns 18 and graduates HS?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-14-2022, 05:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Computer science is more about learning how the internal structures of a computer work and how it interfaces with the software. Computer Engineering is how the hardware works and how to make it. IT is more about the hands-on application of that knowledge. There is some variation there (I.E., you can find programmers with both IT and CS degrees). IT is a more common degree to find alternatively. For CS, there is currently really only TESU; and even that's a bit iffy at the moment. I don't know of any Computer Engineering degrees that can be obtained (easily) via alternate credit.

Is he planning on getting a degree as soon as he turns 18 and graduates HS?

He is 18 now and technically I could have graduated him this year, but since he didn't know what he wanted to do, we are taking an extra year to take classes and figure that out.   He has been taking classes for a few years, and will obviously need to continue as he works toward a degree.  But, I don't want him to take any more classes now unless we can verify that they will count toward a degree.

I saw TESU had a CS degree...although it was a BA instead of BS.  Why do you say that is iffy at the moment?
BA vs BS makes no difference except to SOME Master's programs and a small handful of very picky employers. But, really, it shouldn't matter. Most employers don't care one way or another as long as the major is Comp Sci.

TESU is iffy because they've reportedly stopped accepting a few SDC courses. You have to take these courses at other schools or from TESU. Computer Architecture, in particular, is a difficult one to find a good replacement for.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(01-14-2022, 07:05 PM)rachel83az Wrote: BA vs BS makes no difference except to SOME Master's programs and a small handful of very picky employers. But, really, it shouldn't matter. Most employers don't care one way or another as long as the major is Comp Sci.

TESU is iffy because they've reportedly stopped accepting a few SDC courses. You have to take these courses at other schools or from TESU. Computer Architecture, in particular, is a difficult one to find a good replacement for.

Thank you!  I see you got a CS degree at TESU.  Do you have a list of what you transferred in for your degree there?
I'm still working on my TESU degrees, actually! But you can put together a degree plan using the wiki.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ACI
Computer Science is a flexible degree. You can do whatever you want, coding, IT, etc. For example, if you wanted to do cybersecurity, you would grab the certifications, then also an option to get a master's degree in cybersecurity later on. 

For an 18yr to get a Computer Science degree using primarily alt credits, they could do either TESU or SNHU. Also, there is a BA IT program at SNHU. https://www.snhu.edu/program-finder

TESU may be cheaper and slightly quicker if you are bringing in RA credits.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • ACI
@ACI, just wondering are you still in the state of NJ? Oh, is the homeschooler busy with other commitments besides coursework?  Is he planning to start working or something such as volunteering?  What have you setup for his budget?  Has he decided on a school he would like to attend and graduate from?  We have some basic info, but would be better if we have more details.  

Let's also find out what you and the significant other can bring to the table.  Do either of you work for companies that belongs to unions?  If that is the case, you can get an inexpensive Associates degree and Bachelors degree.  Another option is, the young man can find a job at Amazon, Target, Walmart, whatever you can think of, and go for a degree from partner universities, you can get reimbursement up to $5K/year...

I am also wondering, have you and the SO talked with the son to find out how he would like to proceed?  I see you mentioned online classes, so I guess he's going for an online degree.  There are other options, such as WGU, they provide a few degrees at the undergraduate and graduate level in the fields he may be interested in.  My suggestion though is a TESU undergrad & WGU grad degree.

What I usually recommend and suggest is for people to work on 3 things: Certs, Degree, Experience.  You may also want to review this thread and copy/paste all the credits he currently has and anything missing that you may want to provide us, the more details, the better to help him, such as which dual enrollment college he's at and courses taken: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-14-2022, 08:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ACI, just wondering are you still in the state of NJ? Oh, is the homeschooler busy with other commitments besides coursework?  Is he planning to start working or something such as volunteering?  What have you setup for his budget?  Has he decided on a school he would like to attend and graduate from?  We have some basic info, but would be better if we have more details.  

Let's also find out what you and the significant other can bring to the table.  Do either of you work for companies that belongs to unions?  If that is the case, you can get an inexpensive Associates degree and Bachelors degree.  Another option is, the young man can find a job at Amazon, Target, Walmart, whatever you can think of, and go for a degree from partner universities, you can get reimbursement up to $5K/year...

I am also wondering, have you and the SO talked with the son to find out how he would like to proceed?  I see you mentioned online classes, so I guess he's going for an online degree.  There are other options, such as WGU, they provide a few degrees at the undergraduate and graduate level in the fields he may be interested in.  My suggestion though is a TESU undergrad & WGU grad degree.

What I usually recommend and suggest is for people to work on 3 things: Certs, Degree, Experience.  You may also want to review this thread and copy/paste all the credits he currently has and anything missing that you may want to provide us, the more details, the better to help him, such as which dual enrollment college he's at and courses taken: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Yes, still in NJ!  No, he currently doesn't have a consistent job, so definitely has time to put toward school.  At this point, I don't think we will get a job at the chain stores you mentioned (for tuition reimbursement), but I appreciate the ideas!  

Yes, we have talked with him at length.  He doesn't have a desire to go away to school during the year (he is away the whole summer for a job).  With the state/cost of most colleges now, we (and he) would prefer an online degree at this point. He isn't super motivated on his own to dive into the adult world to figure out what he wants to do, lol.  He enjoys computers, gaming, programming, cyber security, solving real world computer problems etc.  But, left to his own, he isn't what I'd call a super motivated kid.  

But, we need to move in a direction at this point and he seems to like the flexibility of a computer science degree.  

Here are the classes he's taken so far (I'll update the top of the thread also.)
English 101 (ASU)
Macroeconomics (ASU)
Computer App and Info Tech (ASU)
Intro to Programming (ASU)
General Chemistry for Engineers (ASU)
Biology (Faith Bible College)
US History 1 (CLEP)
Accounting for Business (ASU...took the class, but have not paid for credit yet)
I would suggest that he might like to try this XAMK certificate: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/ At least some of the courses can be transferred to TESU using ACEI as an evaluator.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 317 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Drafting / Design Engineering Technology, A.A.S. Aakeey 4 192 04-05-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  BS in Computer Science Clmouss 5 295 04-01-2024, 12:36 AM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 481 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  How to get a Software Engineering, Data, or CS degree for cheap in 2024? awildstudentappeared 6 714 03-12-2024, 01:30 AM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,561 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 429 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 429 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
  European seeking Computer Science or Math fcfcfc 11 713 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 623 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234