Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP to decide -Computer Science/Engineering/IT
rachel83az Wrote:I would suggest that he might like to try this XAMK certificate: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/ At least some of the courses can be transferred to TESU using ACEI as an evaluator.

I agree, in addition to this, it seems like there is "no real degree" he has placed his finger on yet... Without a budget from you, I will restate my previous recommendation so he doesn't have to go into debt when he graduates: TESU undergrad/WGU grad. At the time being, skip the remaining credits from ASU and have him work on a TESU BSBA CIS AOS using mainly Saylor.org/Sophia.org/Study.com courses. To get his hand/feet wet, I suggest inexpensive certs such as the Google IT Professional, and non vendor specific ones from CompTIA...

You're instate and already have 21 RA credits, my suggestion is to complete a TECEP and you'll be left with the cornerstone/capstone for the degree, you can decide to go with the residency waiver fee or take courses towards a second BA in Computer Science/Math combo. This is because most CompSci or Engineering programs will have plenty of CS/Math requirements, you can get two degrees conferred for the price of one (which is less than 1 year of a comparable instate public university).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-14-2022, 08:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would suggest that he might like to try this XAMK certificate: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/ At least some of the courses can be transferred to TESU using ACEI as an evaluator.

Thank you!  Can you help me understand this better?  I spent some time looking through the site, but I am confused.  It is a campus/program based in Finland?  It seems to require you to be on campus and pay in EUROS?  I can't find information on U.S. students following an online track, and then being able to convert courses to TESU?
Here's more details, straight from the link: In short, it's online at home is where you take your courses...

Time: After your registration, you have 12 months right to study as many modules as you want. You can start studying immediately after registration.
Place: online studies
Enrolment by: ongoing, now open for registrations
Price: Studying is completely free of charge, there are no completion or fees for receiving a certificate
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-15-2022, 01:35 PM)ACI Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I would suggest that he might like to try this XAMK certificate: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/ At least some of the courses can be transferred to TESU using ACEI as an evaluator.

Thank you!  Can you help me understand this better?  I spent some time looking through the site, but I am confused.  It is a campus/program based in Finland?  It seems to require you to be on campus and pay in EUROS?  I can't find information on U.S. students following an online track, and then being able to convert courses to TESU?

This particular certificate is an online-only course. For this one, you sign up and you receive information to access the course via Teachable. It is completely free. 

I would also suggest either https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...3-ects-cr/ or https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...3-ects-cr/ (36€ each) because this should grant your son access to the XAMK Learn platform (and not just Teachable). Or choose anything from https://www.xamk.fi/en/openstudies/ that says "Online Studies". 

With the XAMK login, you also gain access to other Finnish universities offering free/cheap courses. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/XAMK and this thread for more details: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...IT-courses

Each evaluation costs approx $200, so I would probably stick to 2 or 3 universities at most.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrPanda
(01-14-2022, 10:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:I would suggest that he might like to try this XAMK certificate: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...-creation/ At least some of the courses can be transferred to TESU using ACEI as an evaluator.

I agree, in addition to this, it seems like there is "no real degree" he has placed his finger on yet... Without a budget from you, I will restate my previous recommendation so he doesn't have to go into debt when he graduates: TESU undergrad/WGU grad.  At the time being, skip the remaining credits from ASU and have him work on a TESU BSBA CIS AOS using mainly Saylor.org/Sophia.org/Study.com courses.  To get his hand/feet wet, I suggest inexpensive certs such as the Google IT Professional, and non vendor specific ones from CompTIA...

You're instate and already have 21 RA credits, my suggestion is to complete a TECEP and you'll be left with the cornerstone/capstone for the degree, you can decide to go with the residency waiver fee or take courses towards a second BA in Computer Science/Math combo.  This is because most CompSci or Engineering programs will have plenty of CS/Math requirements, you can get two degrees conferred for the price of one (which is less than 1 year of a comparable instate public university).

Yes! Exactly my main priority - not to have him go into any debt, especially when he doesn't have a clear picture of what he wants to do.
So...thank you.  We will work toward a TESU BSBA CIS AOS.  

This might be showing my ignorance in the area, but I'm not exactly sure how to proceed now.  Perhaps I need to create a spreadsheet or something to wrap my head around all the possibilities. (I have the links that @rachel83az posted showing a suggested roadmap for gen ed and CS classes at TESU...very helpful!)

Do I print off the above lists, and also TSEU's list of required classes for the major, and try to match up what we've already taken?  Are there classes at study.com/sophia etc. that would both count toward a particular class at TSEU (meaning there are multiple paths to the same degree and it doesn't matter what you take?)  

Should we use study.com and try to go through a bunch of courses at one time?  And how do I know for sure what transfers?  I saw this link.  Thomas Edison State University Transfer | Study.com    Do we just start matching up courses and taking them?  

Also, does he not transfer into TESU until we have completed all the transfer courses we want to?  If so, that means we don't talk to an advisor at TESU about transfer credits or anything? 

Thank you so much for helping me understand all of this!  
(01-15-2022, 01:55 PM)ACI Wrote: Yes! Exactly my main priority - not to have him go into any debt, especially when he doesn't have a clear picture of what he wants to do.

This might be showing my ignorance in the area, but I'm not exactly sure how to proceed now.  Perhaps I need to create a spreadsheet or something to wrap my head around all the possibilities. (I have the links that @rachel83az posted showing a suggested roadmap for gen ed and CS classes at TESU...very helpful!)
A spreadhseet is going to be your best friend. Make sure you use the new catalog(s) at https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...s/Overview and NOT the old catalog at https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees - Even though the old one is still easier to find, requirements have been updated and the arrangement of electives (among other things) is quite different.

Quote:Do I print off the above lists, and also TSEU's list of required classes for the major, and try to match up what we've already taken?  Are there classes at study.com/sophia etc. that would both count toward a particular class at TSEU (meaning there are multiple paths to the same degree and it doesn't matter what you take?)  
To some extent, yes. For instance, for the "history" requirement in the gen eds, it doesn't matter WHAT History class you take. It can be US History, World History, World Civilizations, etc. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List will show you exactly what each Sophia course is known to transfer to TESU as. Ones that are blank MAY still transfer, but we haven't had anyone report back with course equivalencies yet.

For the AOS courses, there is a bit less leeway. Especially in CS/CIS. But there is still some choice. The wiki can help guide you there.

Quote:Should we use study.com and try to go through a bunch of courses at one time?  And how do I know for sure what transfers?  I saw this link.  Thomas Edison State University Transfer | Study.com    Do we just start matching up courses and taking them?  
The wiki is kept up to date with not only what transfers but also what will work with a given degree. The SDC link above is mostly accurate, but the wiki is possibly more so. Not everything transfers as you might expect. For instance, SDC has "Political Science 102: American Government" and you might naturally assume that this will meet the Civic Responsibility/American Government gen ed requirement. But it doesn't! It comes in as an elective only.

Quote:Also, does he not transfer into TESU until we have completed all the transfer courses we want to?  If so, that means we don't talk to an advisor at TESU about transfer credits or anything? 
As soon as a degree is decided upon, it's a good idea to register at TESU. This locks in the current catalog and helps to insure against future catalog & policy changes. There is no hurry to register immediately, but it would be a good idea to do so by the end of May. Catalog changes, if any, happen July 1st.

Budget permitting, if he's going to be doing the BSBA CIS, he might want to take CIS 309 - Business Process Management at ASU instead of having to take Digital Marketing & Advertising at SDC. 
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • MrPanda
(01-15-2022, 02:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:55 PM)ACI Wrote: Yes! Exactly my main priority - not to have him go into any debt, especially when he doesn't have a clear picture of what he wants to do.

A spreadhseet is going to be your best friend. Make sure you use the new catalog(s) at https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...s/Overview and NOT the old catalog at https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees - Even though the old one is still easier to find, requirements have been updated and the arrangement of electives (among other things) is quite different.

Quote:Do I print off the above lists, and also TSEU's list of required classes for the major, and try to match up what we've already taken?  Are there classes at study.com/sophia etc. that would both count toward a particular class at TSEU (meaning there are multiple paths to the same degree and it doesn't matter what you take?)  
To some extent, yes. For instance, for the "history" requirement in the gen eds, it doesn't matter WHAT History class you take. It can be US History, World History, World Civilizations, etc. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List will show you exactly what each Sophia course is known to transfer to TESU as. Ones that are blank MAY still transfer, but we haven't had anyone report back with course equivalencies yet.

For the AOS courses, there is a bit less leeway. Especially in CS/CIS. But there is still some choice. The wiki can help guide you there.

Quote:Should we use study.com and try to go through a bunch of courses at one time?  And how do I know for sure what transfers?  I saw this link.  Thomas Edison State University Transfer | Study.com    Do we just start matching up courses and taking them?  
The wiki is kept up to date with not only what transfers but also what will work with a given degree. The SDC link above is mostly accurate, but the wiki is possibly more so. Not everything transfers as you might expect. For instance, SDC has "Political Science 102: American Government" and you might naturally assume that this will meet the Civic Responsibility/American Government gen ed requirement. But it doesn't! It comes in as an elective only.

Quote:Also, does he not transfer into TESU until we have completed all the transfer courses we want to?  If so, that means we don't talk to an advisor at TESU about transfer credits or anything? 
As soon as a degree is decided upon, it's a good idea to register at TESU. This locks in the current catalog and helps to insure against future catalog & policy changes. There is no hurry to register immediately, but it would be a good idea to do so by the end of May. Catalog changes, if any, happen July 1st.

Budget permitting, if he's going to be doing the BSBA CIS, he might want to take CIS 309 - Business Process Management at ASU instead of having to take Digital Marketing & Advertising at SDC. 

I read this in a recent thread regarding CS classes that TESU now does not accept from SDC. I'm assuming this would apply to our situation also?  Is this the price we should expect from a degree from TESU?

"Well now to complete CS at TESU you would have to do Flat Rate tuition for $4600 or do them over multiple terms for $8500 for the following courses:

Capstone
Cornerstone
Discrete Mathematics
Computer Architecture
Operating Systems
And also pass TECEP Networking.

That would be one hell of a course load.  I guess you could get the books ahead of time and prestudy. 
Better just to do WGU I would think than mess with all that.  Or do a Purdue IT degree."
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACI's post:
  • MrPanda
That only applies to Computer Science and not to the BSBA CIS. If you want both, it still doesn't fully apply. If you check the degree plan at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan then you'll see that there are some options for Discrete Math that will be cheaper than TESU (and easier than taking it as part of a single term). Also, a possible source of Operating Systems at College of DuPage.

That would leave capstone, cornerstone, Computer Architecture, and Software Engineering for a flat-rate term.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • MrPanda
(01-14-2022, 10:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

I agree, in addition to this, it seems like there is "no real degree" he has placed his finger on yet... Without a budget from you, I will restate my previous recommendation so he doesn't have to go into debt when he graduates: TESU undergrad/WGU grad.  At the time being, skip the remaining credits from ASU and have him work on a TESU BSBA CIS AOS using mainly Saylor.org/Sophia.org/Study.com courses.  To get his hand/feet wet, I suggest inexpensive certs such as the Google IT Professional, and non vendor specific ones from CompTIA...

You're instate and already have 21 RA credits, my suggestion is to complete a TECEP and you'll be left with the cornerstone/capstone for the degree, you can decide to go with the residency waiver fee or take courses towards a second BA in Computer Science/Math combo.  This is because most CompSci or Engineering programs will have plenty of CS/Math requirements, you can get two degrees conferred for the price of one (which is less than 1 year of a comparable instate public university).

Can you further explain your recommendation to  'complete a TECEP'?  I'm assuming it's a specific class that transfers into the TESU CS degree?
I've seen people reference the Networking TECEP and say how hard it is.

Also, how do you get two degrees for the price of one?  Are the classes you take counting toward both degrees?

(01-15-2022, 07:26 PM)rachel83az Wrote: That only applies to Computer Science and not to the BSBA CIS. If you want both, it still doesn't fully apply. If you check the degree plan at https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan then you'll see that there are some options for Discrete Math that will be cheaper than TESU (and easier than taking it as part of a single term). Also, a possible source of Operating Systems at College of DuPage.

That would leave capstone, cornerstone, Computer Architecture, and Software Engineering for a flat-rate term.

Yes, I think we are going to go for the CS degree.  So, would that apply in this case?
A TECEP is an exam that counts as RA (but not residency) credit at TESU. You can see the list of TECEPs here: https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php

For the BA CS, yes, it partially applies. If you aren't able to bring in courses from cheaper sources, you have to take them at TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 372 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  How to get a Software Engineering, Data, or CS degree for cheap in 2024? awildstudentappeared 6 573 03-12-2024, 01:30 AM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,332 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 191 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 359 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
  European seeking Computer Science or Math fcfcfc 11 628 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM
  Help - Engineering Degree for European Student Bat1234 6 587 01-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Bat1234
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 8 893 01-04-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice - BS Data science FullFocus 10 777 12-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: fmsoa