Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What counts as clinical experience?
The typical routes for gaining clinical experience for nursing, physician assistant, medical, and similar programs are working as an EMT; CNA; MA; patient care tech; or volunteering at a hospital, clinic, or nursing home. I don't have plans to enter a healthcare program, but I was starting to think about what counts as clinical experience. After perusing the Student Doctor Forum, I think someone like me would already have clinical experience. 

I was a substance abuse counselor. We called our patients clients, but they're still equivalent to behavioral health patients. I diagnosed clients and provided behavioral therapy. I worked with people who had mental health issues and made referrals to psychologists and physicians. Not to minimize what MAs and CNAs do, but if someone were interested in becoming a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner, I would think that mental health and behavioral counseling would be a more relevant experience.

On SDN, they were telling crisis and HIV counselors that what they did should count as clinical experience, so I'm sure that a licensed counseling field would count if those examples do.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I got a pharmacy tech certification and spent a year volunteering Friday nights in an inpatient pharmacy. This was solely to gain credibility and insight in my medical sales career, but I wonder if it could be used for someone. It takes a month or two at most to study for a pharmacy tech and in most places, it's easy to get a part time job as a pharm tech.

But, I would never dare to call what I did "clinical experience." I mostly just refer to working in a hospital inpatient pharmacy and that feels more accurate to me. However, I'm sure it would be really beneficial for someone. It was extremely beneficial for me.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I read an article that said that pharmacy tech usually does not count. There has to be direct patient care even though some people have gotten away with being medical scribes. I think that's because they were working with physicians.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512
It depends on the program. In Washington state, the public college RN programs require volunteer hours in either a hospital or skilled nursing facility. These specifically state that any paid hours do not count towards the requirement. There are actually organizations that people (mostly parents) are paying to coordinate better volunteer assignments for hopeful students.

For the programs that accept paid experience, scribe seems to be the popular choice here. Scribes in the ER are definitely seen as clinical experience. They receive the same clinical documentation training for the EHR system as other clinical staff and are physically in patient rooms. Some of what they do is similar to the unit coordinators, but that role doesn’t count as clinical because unit coordinators don’t enter patient care areas.
(06-19-2018, 03:00 PM)Sparklette Wrote: It depends on the program. In Washington state, the public college RN programs require volunteer hours in either a hospital or skilled nursing facility. These specifically state that any paid hours do not count towards the requirement. There are actually organizations that people (mostly parents) are paying to coordinate better volunteer assignments for hopeful students.

For the programs that accept paid experience, scribe seems to be the popular choice here.

Interesting. I guess PA and nursing programs are different. I saw several PA programs that wanted paid experience. Many PA programs require more than 1,000 hours, so it would be a bit unreasonable to expect people to do those unpaid anyway. 

University of Florida has a specific list of what counts as direct patient care. I thought it was odd how optician experience counts up to 3/4 credit, but counseling only counts up to 1/2 credit. Most opticians spend most of their time doing sales, looking at insurance, and fitting glasses. Some opticians do lab work with eyewear, but I don't see how this is worthy of clinical experience. Clinical psychology counts for full credit. 

https://pap.med.ufl.edu/admissions/prere...xperience/
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I think it's open to interpretation - I once read on SDF that's it's clinical experience if you can smell the patients, of course, it's kinda crass like that over there.
If I were using it to apply to a health occupations program, I'd probably emphasize patient contact - whether it's verbal or physical. I volunteered for 2 years for a busy medical clinic but I didn't do clinical skills, so I don't know if something like that counts or not. On an aside, I don't know that I'd mention performing diagnostics or providing behavioral therapy- which could certainly be misconstrued to mean practicing without a license by those who don't know every state's laws- which is pretty much everyone lol.
In the EMT program Im starting, clinicals consist of a set number of patient contacts, and they actually mean patient contacts. Hands-on, whether it is nothing more than taking vitals, or working on a trauma patient. But they require hands-on care. NREMT only calls out hours, but the trainer we use added patient contacts. You can do 2 12s and meet ambulance hours for NREMT, but we live in a rural area and might have to do 5 times that for 25 patient contacts. But yeah, if we dont take vitals at least, or provide trauma care, they don't count it as clinicals.

No idea about nursing.

But I'm curious about the answer.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

(06-19-2018, 04:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I think it's open to interpretation - I once read on SDF that's it's clinical experience if you can smell the patients, of course, it's kinda crass like that over there.  
If I were using it to apply to a health occupations program, I'd probably emphasize patient contact - whether it's verbal or physical. I volunteered for 2 years for a busy medical clinic but I didn't do clinical skills, so I don't know if something like that counts or not.   On an aside, I don't know that I'd mention performing diagnostics or providing behavioral therapy- which could certainly be misconstrued to mean practicing without a license by those who don't know every state's laws- which is pretty much everyone lol.

Chemical dependency counseling is a licensed field. I'm sure physicians are aware that every state has licensed counselors and social workers who diagnose mental health problems. They have to work with them and regularly make referrals to them.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capsim Experience? Regards 7 3,513 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Regards
  Career Question: Forensics or Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) Jesusfreak97 4 3,942 05-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Anyone have experience with the Wii U? sklineho 5 963 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Last Post: sklineho
  And you thought we have high thread counts ryoder 10 1,588 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Last Post: dcan
  College Credit for Work Experience?? Kiwi Lover 2 1,711 05-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Basket Weaver