Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And you thought we have high thread counts
Man, this guy I know is a moderator at the corvette forum. He is pretty cool. He sets up meetups and rallys for St Jude.
I just checked out his profile page and the dude has 11K posts! Holy crap! He averages 26 per day.
I guess this message board thing gets crazy.

My first message board was gamedev.net. Back when I was an aspiring game programmer. Over there we had MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE flame wars over DirectX versus OpenGL.
The moderators actually had to lock these threads down daily. Dorks.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I guess this message board thing gets crazy.

My time spent here is inversely proportional to my time spent productively studying. But I'm mostly just chilling waiting for my test date next week and my class to start in February.

ryoder Wrote:My first message board was gamedev.net. Back when I was an aspiring game programmer. Over there we had MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE flame wars over DirectX versus OpenGL.
The moderators actually had to lock these threads down daily. Dorks.

I dunno what the issue was. OpenGL beat the hell out of DirectX. Smile
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Dcan. Come one man. You are smarter than that. DirectX is superior. It underpins the Microsoft X Box (hence the name) and powers Windows 7, 95, 95 and all of the iterations.

Flame on!

dcan Wrote:My time spent here is inversely proportional to my time spent productively studying. But I'm mostly just chilling waiting for my test date next week and my class to start in February.

I dunno what the issue was. OpenGL beat the hell out of DirectX. Smile
ryoder Wrote:Dcan. Come one man. You are smarter than that. DirectX is superior.

Figured you'd say that, that's why I picked OpenGL. :roflol:

I actually enjoyed the old OpenGL games back in the day. They were far better than DirectX which had a habit of destroying your system if a game installed an older version over a newer one without telling you. Fdisk party time.

ryoder Wrote:It underpins the Microsoft X Box (hence the name) and powers Windows 7, 95, 95 and all of the iterations.

Apparently Windows 95 was so good they had to make it twice. Smile
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Guess I should jump in on this :reddevil:

Anything M$ associated product is steamy pile of ..... yeah I don't have to say it, because we all know they are a great marketing company and horrible products company.
And although I am over 40, my memory reminds me that a good portion of the XBOX red rings of death were due to M$ wanting to avoid paying $10M in designing the graphics integration, thereby only costing them $1B to fix some of the problems.
Also I noticed you just happen to leave Vista of the list!? Why would that be? Confusedmilelol:
But with that said, it has kept me employed and well paid to fix things for others.

Flame suit shields engaged.

Also as for forum's I used to own the triumph675.net site, still admin it, but before selling it I was well on my way to having 20+ posts a day. Now that someone else profits from it I simply don't care.

cheers guys!
While, it is true that some Microsoft software have various kinds of issues. I would never say that all Microsoft software is so bad as it seems some of the X-boxes have been. For example, I use Mircosoft Office, which has never given me any issues. What about Apple computers? I rarely hear people mention other issues with other brands especially Apple comptuers. For example, the Mac was the first to be hacked in one of those hacking contests as described by the following article. Mac easiest to hack, says $10,000 winner - Computerworld It is not the first time that I have read about Apple comptuers being easily hacked into. By the way, I am still using my Windows Vista Premium 32-bit laptop, which is four years old. There have never been any serious problems except for those problems that were directly or indirectly the fault of me, the user.

Edit: Corrections
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
Well that didn't take long to get into the Win vs Mac wars huh? But as usual people go about quoting things they don't understand.
First understand application vs operating system vulnerability. Safari is what the guy hacked that yes led to OSX, just as IE has lead to more exploits in Windows than just about any application in history. But thats not necessarily the fault of the OS. But if you really look at OS exploits, nothing is worse than Windows, even the ultra secure win7 and 2008. So while they had lower numbers of overall exploits than in the past, they still actually had the highest percentage that fell under the most severe categories, win 7 a whopping 75.7% of all issues were at the highest severity. Win 2008 not far behind at 66.3%.. What that you say.. OSX had more over exploits than either 7 or 2k8?? hmm true.. but only 20% of those fell into the highest level severity and had less than 1/2 the total number of those in the highest category.

So please do your research before bringing casual application exploits such as that as evidence.

As for office. seriously? Saying office is good likens to the days of VHS vs BETA, its just that it won the marketing. It was not the better product. And now consumes as much as 1.5GB not including Visio or other addons and have seen it take 2GB in some cases.

And on to vista.. there is a reason why ZERO of my customers in the fortune 500 rolled out Vista. Because it was the worst OS M$ had produced since Win ME!! Difficult to manage, took more resources than any of its predecessors and absolutely did not work in virtual environments.
I know the differences between operating system and application security vulnerabilities, but my point is that some people tend to think that just because they have a Mac that their computer is more secure than someone with a Windows computer. It is all about what a user does with the computer and what malware has been written for Macs. Those application exploits are more than casual. Although, most of those have been fixed after they were discovered. Most of those exploits in Windows 7 have been for the most part due to applications and not the operating system. Now for the Microsoft Office using 1.5 GB that may well be, but doesn't that depend on what office applications someone needs? For me office certainly does not use that much space.
While I do understand that some Vista machines had big problems with resource consumption, but for me that has not been the case. I find Vista easy after I customized it to my preferences. It does take some time getting used to the changes that were made from XP.
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
Oh I agree with you, there are many fanbois who think the Mac is invulnerable and think apple can do no wrong. They simply fail to realize that if OSX ever is the top OS, it too will be hacked daily as is Windows. Heck if it can ever achieve 15% one day I would be impressed and I think it just recently broke the 10% barrier, something it had not seen in at least 20 years. Me personally I am preferential to Solaris, but not the easiest to get running on a laptop. So I do stick to the next best thing for me and that is OSX, I run vmware fusion and/or Virtual box to run XP, solaris and linux from.
Unfortunately I bought 3 laptops with Vista for the family and every single one of them had issues, but once I switched 2 of them to XP and one to Win 7, no further problems.
Plus working in secure environments, running the STIG's constantly on windows platform has grown to a real pain in the rear over the years.

Funny fact that a lot of people don't know about Operating systems, is that OS2's claim to fame actually came in the cash machine world. At one time it was the OS of choice for ATM's.
They did make 95 twice! 95A and 95B. 95A sucked really bad. I know because I was a computer tech in 1993-1998 and was trying really hard to build a stable system with 95A. B included FAT32 and a bunch of kernel improvements and the hardware was more stable due to better driver support.

I am a huge fan of MSFT products. I say this while typing on a MacBook Pro and playing my 360. The Apple programmer tools are terrible. MSFT really makes it a joy to program with DirectX, XNA and the toolsets available in Visual Studio. Developers hate writing PS3 games but love writing XBOX 360 games. Its just something that Microsoft does well.

Yes they cut corners on the original xbox to meet a consumer price point. That $400 xbox in 2005 had the equivalent of a $400 PC video card in it, with a motherboard, case, ram, gamepad, disk drive, dve, power supply and other crap thrown in for free. They should have just sold it for $500 or $600 instead like Sony did.

dcan Wrote:Figured you'd say that, that's why I picked OpenGL. :roflol:

I actually enjoyed the old OpenGL games back in the day. They were far better than DirectX which had a habit of destroying your system if a game installed an older version over a newer one without telling you. Fdisk party time.

Apparently Windows 95 was so good they had to make it twice. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freedom of Thought Charles Fout 12 191 2 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,736 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Big Grin Yet Another Boring Elon Musk Fanboy Thread LevelUP 3 636 11-14-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: freeloader
  Finding Pictures of Odd Things Thread Vle045 17 1,342 04-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Gas Prices Hit Record High Averaging Over $5 a Gallon in California LevelUP 8 935 03-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Blkqueen8
Lightbulb WGU Employee Thread TheTruthIsOutThere 8 1,339 08-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Last Post: TheTruthIsOutThere
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,770 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
  17-year-old to graduate from Harvard days after graduating high school quigongene 0 1,139 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Families Aunt Becky Their Way Into Performance Arts High School sanantone 3 1,226 05-19-2019, 11:48 PM
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,214 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa