Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Employee Thread
Lightbulb 
There is virtually no place you can discuss working/working conditions at WGU so this is a thread for anyone who wishes to discuss things that are going on at WGU that directly affect them and their day to day life.

Your posts here are anonymous and safe as long as you do the following:

1.  Don't discuss how long you've been here
2.  Don't give your real name
3.  Don't give any details that could out you as to who you are

First topic of discussion...the 160 people laid off.

Does anyone know if this statement as to why people were laid off is true...it makes 100% sense as to why it happened considering they are losing profits because of high performers:

This was a last minute meeting that was added to employee's calendars the evening prior. No warning. Even two layers of management above program mentors were not aware this was coming. It was an eight minute call with the SVP announcing positions had been eliminated effectively immediately. Two program mentors I know that were let go had the highest numbers in their group and were not the newest members to the team. Some of the more recent hires and/or lower performers were kept on the team. They were also some of the higher paid. They also had more students that graduated in 6 months to one year. Combined with the recently announced lower enrollment, the university had too many students graduating and not enough enrolling. Essentially, many mentors were too good at their jobs causing the university to make less money.
What are the education benefits like at WGU and do they hire WGU grads?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(07-29-2021, 05:21 PM)MNomadic Wrote: What are the education benefits like at WGU and do they hire WGU grads?

I have a friend that works for WGU as a developer. He's currently in their BSCSIA program and they pay for 75% of it. I don't see why they wouldn't hire their own grads.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • AwardTour
I think I've only seen one person who posts around here that has indicated they work for WGU (who has already weighed in on the WGU layoff thread). The WGU reddit had a good handful of employees/ex-employees discussing the layoff topic. Around here, you'll find almost exclusively students and alumni.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • AwardTour
I got JSD and quigongene mixed up. JSD is the person that knows about hacking and IT security, quigongene knows about hacking WGU in-terms of degree completion/requirements. Okay, I managed to sort that out. My work here is done....

(07-29-2021, 04:39 PM)TheTruthIsOutThere Wrote: There is virtually no place you can discuss working/working conditions at WGU so this is a thread for anyone who wishes to discuss things that are going on at WGU that directly affect them and their day to day life.

Your posts here are anonymous and safe as long as you do the following:

1.  Don't discuss how long you've been here
2.  Don't give your real name
3.  Don't give any details that could out you as to who you are

First topic of discussion...the 160 people laid off.

Does anyone know if this statement as to why people were laid off is true...it makes 100% sense as to why it happened considering they are losing profits because of high performers:

This was a last minute meeting that was added to employee's calendars the evening prior. No warning. Even two layers of management above program mentors were not aware this was coming. It was an eight minute call with the SVP announcing positions had been eliminated effectively immediately. Two program mentors I know that were let go had the highest numbers in their group and were not the newest members to the team. Some of the more recent hires and/or lower performers were kept on the team. They were also some of the higher paid. They also had more students that graduated in 6 months to one year. Combined with the recently announced lower enrollment, the university had too many students graduating and not enough enrolling. Essentially, many mentors were too good at their jobs causing the university to make less money.

Would you stop being overly dramatic. There are plenty of places online to discuss working conditions. You even cited Glassdoor yourself in a previous post. You are free to share your opinions there on working conditions. Guess what, someone might even cite you/spam your reviews on another message board. Thank me later.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
I thought this forum was for people trying to get a degree? Maybe this thread should be moved to Off-Topic or something?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • allvia, AwardTour, jsd, ss20ts
(07-30-2021, 12:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I thought this forum was for people trying to get a degree?  Maybe this thread should be moved to Off-Topic or something?

I agree, it doesn't make sense to have a thread that is likely fueled by disgruntled or unhappy employees - it is not helpful to those looking for information on how to succeed as a student of WGU.  The original thread of WGU laying off talked about the impact on the student (at least started that way). The work environment of any employer is not what this forum is about - it is definitely Off-Topic . This thread seems to be very off target from the mission of this site.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(07-29-2021, 07:13 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I got JSD and quigongene mixed up. JSD is the person that knows about hacking and IT security, quigongene knows about hacking WGU in-terms of degree completion/requirements. Okay, I managed to sort that out. My work here is done....

Sorry to add to the confusion, but I think we both work in IT Security.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(07-29-2021, 06:53 PM)jsd Wrote: I think I've only seen one person who posts around here that has indicated they work for WGU (who has already weighed in on the WGU layoff thread). The WGU reddit had a good handful of employees/ex-employees discussing the layoff topic.  Around here, you'll find almost exclusively students and alumni.

You can't post anything on Glassdoor other than reviews and there is no place to discuss WGU employees.  WGU reddit is heavily censored as is Glassdoor (go there and see the same two liner 5-star reviews)...negative reviews disappear fast.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked Elon Musk News Thread LevelUP 10 443 02-03-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Finding Pictures of Odd Things Thread Vle045 17 1,348 04-19-2022, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  The Best Life Advice Thread natshar 8 2,597 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  Unable to see recent posts on my own thread when logged in Thorne 15 5,170 10-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Head about to explode? Quick break thread. Joeman200 6 1,747 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  What are you reading thread? yb1 11 2,532 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Edit Thread Title sekiflying 2 1,224 11-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Last Post: sekiflying
  My "Thank you!" thread - CCAF knocked out in less than two years thanks to IC and... OfficerA 3 1,096 03-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  New Thread? Stacy 1 927 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Last Post: NAP
  And you thought we have high thread counts ryoder 10 1,607 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Last Post: dcan