Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Central Lancashire (UK) LLM under $3K?
A buddy of mine sent me this and asked for input on it as a cheap law degree. He does not have a JD, but according to the program's page it sounds like that isn't a requirement in the UK? I admit to having minimal knowledge of the way the UK degree system works. It may make even less sense to me than their unspeakable betrayal of the imperial system.

https://severnbusinesscollege.com/l7dibl.php

If I'm reading this correctly you get a Level 7 international law degree, essentially British English for LLM in international law, from the University of Central Lancashire (a legitimate UK university) for a total cost of less than $3000. 

Looking at it got me curious. Anyone know how the Severn Business College/UCLan/Qualifi connection works? It's affordable enough that I'd be open to doing it for fun if it's a quasi-legitimate degree when I'm done with ENEB.
(05-12-2023, 10:59 AM)Kalas Wrote: A buddy of mine sent me this and asked for input on it as a cheap law degree. He does not have a JD, but according to the program's page it sounds like that isn't a requirement in the UK? I admit to having minimal knowledge of the way the UK degree system works. It may make even less sense to me than their unspeakable betrayal of the imperial system.

If I'm reading this correctly you get a Level 7 international law degree, essentially British English for LLM in international law, from the University of Central Lancashire (a legitimate UK university) for a total cost of less than $3000. 

Looking at it got me curious. Anyone know how the Severn Business College/UCLan/Qualifi connection works? It's affordable enough that I'd be open to doing it for fun if it's a quasi-legitimate degree when I'm done with ENEB.

$3k is only for the level 7 diploma only.
What is the cost of the UCLAN master?
That's right, the cost of the Level 7 Diploma to get you started is $3K... You can find competing pricing for these Level 7 Diploma, I would chose the cheapest one as long as it's accredited by OfQual / Qualifi. Cost of the 1 year Masters is $8400 British Pounds/Year or £933 per 20 credits for part time students. Here's the university webpage, since this is a 1 year Masters program, you really don't need the Level 7 as it indicates any Bachelors degree is possible for entry. The Level 7 would be a good 'prep' for this though... https://www.uclan.ac.uk/postgraduate/cou...of-america
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Just curious, what's the utility of getting a Master's in Law for non-lawyers?
(05-12-2023, 10:59 AM)Kalas Wrote: A buddy of mine sent me this and asked for input on it as a cheap law degree. He does not have a JD, but according to the program's page it sounds like that isn't a requirement in the UK? I admit to having minimal knowledge of the way the UK degree system works. It may make even less sense to me than their unspeakable betrayal of the imperial system.

A law degree in the UK is an academic degree. It is not a practical vocational degree like the JD. A law degree does not qualify you to be a solicitor or barrister. Those would be the e.g. Bar Practice Course (BPC), which is a qualifying postgraduate course. You don't need a law degree to do the BPC (or the solicitor's one). Keep that in mind. Is it nice to have a master's? Sure. But the fact it is in Law does not really mean anything different to it being in e.g. Politics, or History etc.
I'd probably do an LLB with the University of London for about £4000 or an LLM conversion + SQE with some trainee program/cheap providers like BPP instead (for practising the profession). Doubt if a level 7 diploma from a non-accredit business school is acceptable and accredited in the industry/good for hanging on the wall.
BEng(Mcgill) BSc(Lond.) MPhil(UCL) 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MA(Athabasca) 
MBA (ENEB/UE1) 
Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence (ENEB/UE1) - in progress
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planning:
BA History/ Anthropology/ Archeology
[-] The following 1 user Likes HVzR5's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
Previously, I've been eyeing the NWC Uni School of Law, but I haven't decided if it's the one I want to go for though...
There's too many things I want to take, not really wanting to be a lawyer, just want to know more on policies and laws, etc...
You don't have to be a lawyer to take the LLM, it can be of interest or to further your position in a field that may deal with something similar.

7 Great Reasons to Get a Master of Laws (LLM) | Top Universities
LLM vs. JD: Differences for Law Students To Understand | Indeed.com
I want to do an LLM, but I don't want to be a lawyer | AllAboutLaw
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I was researching the difference between a Level 7 Diploma and (Post)graduate Diploma and came across this.

There is more depth to this top-up progression than most would think.
These Level 7 could provide a cheap route of conversion for non-law graduates in the US/UK.

Here’s why (this will be long):
I remember someone in my LLM class qualified for admission through a non-UK bachelor’s + graduate diploma in law. This is in fact a recognized conversion route, even until this day, in the UK for non-law graduates to enter the legal profession in England and Wales.

Now, the interesting part is that the agency regulating the licensure of solicitors used to provide a “list” of approved conversion courses. I wouldn’t call the list comprehensive as they often left out out-of-the-norm degrees such as distance learning courses or LLM Conversion courses (some universities offer a GDL + Dissertation as a set; since the GDL is already Level 7, one could earn a Master’s by completing an extra dissertation module).

But since 2021~2022, it was no longer needed for aspiring solicitors to take a first law degree/conversion course because they introduced the exam option (SQE1+2) for qualification. This means that anyone COULD become a solicitor provided that you pass both exams, which is highly improbable unless you’ve studied law to a certain level.

But this is not the case with aspiring barristers. The board regulating barrister’s licensure in the UK still requires a foundational knowledge component, and while they refrained from using the term, this is essentially a first law degree or conversion course.

The Board does refer to the solicitor’s list for reference, but that list is no long determinative. Many courses are not listed on the list, including UCLan’s LLM conversion course. Rather, the Board sets out seven subjects that one must complete on a graduate level: Tort, Contract, Criminal Law, EU Law, Public Law, Equity and Trusts, and Property/Land Law.

It doesn’t specify that these subjects must be taken at a university, but rather that it be of the “same breadth and depth” as that of the (Post)Graduate Diploma in Law.

If my understanding of the OFQUAL system is correct, a Graduate Diploma in Law is of the same level as a Level 7 Diploma, and given that they grant the same amount of UK credits (120) and universities accept them for top-up master’s, this could provide a cheaper and faster route to law conversion.

Personally, I know of no one who’s attempted this route. But again, all of this is relatively new.
So take it with a grain of salt. It’s interesting to see how this could play out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 161 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 696 Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,800 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,093 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,286 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 365 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,633 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 657 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,279 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel