Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change
Extension Studies is a stupid and unnecessary designation. If "Harvard Extension School" is on the transcript and diploma, there's no need to give the degrees weird names. But, these students knew what the degree name was going to be, but they attended anyway thinking that having Harvard on their resumes would make them more competitive.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 5 users Like sanantone's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, FastTrackDegree, jsd, ss20ts, Vle045
I think it is stupid and unnecessary. Harvard literally advertises "get a degree from Harvard" and hides the extension school part in their media campaigns. They know what they're doing. Now, that its gaining traction, they don't want to "water down" their overpriced in person degrees.
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, FastTrackDegree, rachel83az
(10-07-2022, 01:01 PM)rachel83az Wrote: IIRC, this has been discussed before on the sister forum (or a similar topic, at least). From what was said there, HES students attend much of the exact same courses as the "real" Harvard students. They're mixed together in the same class and you won't know who is studying at which Harvard college. So, yes, it is a "real" Harvard degree. If they want to say on the diploma that it's a degree from HES and not Harvard, fine. I understand that. But it's the same Harvard, it's just not "exclusive", so calling all the degrees "extension studies" is just silly.

Of course, going to school for a degree in Extension Studies is possibly just as silly. The students knew what they were signing up for. If they're facing discrimination, possibly no degree would've helped with their careers.

They're not paying Harvard tuition though. HES is discounted. The students need to learn to research before enrolling in any college program. That's on them.
(10-07-2022, 08:02 AM)smartdegree Wrote: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022/...gree-name/

They probably need more than 20 people rallying to get this done LOL.
Yeah its tough, even if every HES dean, directors, profs and anyone there agrees, they still have to convince greater Harvard community. Maybe only multi multi millions donations from HES alums will do the job
lol Harvard's acceptance rate is under 5% ...

Harvard Extension's acceptance rate is 100%

No kidding
[-] The following 2 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, ss20ts
Harvard knows how to profit from this, they know they've got students wanting in on the Harvard name and having the Extension School is to get those who can't get in the front door, an option to have Harvard on their plate with the extension school. Even if they do remove "extension studies" from the degree name, the transcripts already have "extension school" on the headers and such, it won't really matter for them, but they're keeping to their traditional routes and not budging...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-07-2022, 05:47 PM)nomaduser Wrote: lol Harvard's acceptance rate is under 5% ...

Harvard Extension's acceptance rate is 100%

No kidding

False, HES is open enrollment, similar to a community college, so anyone can sign up for classes, but admissions to a degree program is based on your performance in the courses you take there. The call it "Earn your way in" admissions.

https://extension.harvard.edu/registrati...dmissions/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
I understand for personal “branding” purposes why people would much rather have an B/MLA in their chosen discipline than an B/MLA in Extension studies in their discipline. That verbiage is part of why I haven’t considered HES. To me though, the Liberal Arts part of the degree title is actually more problematic, or perhaps illogical. So many of the degrees, particularly the master’s degrees, have nothing to do with the liberal arts. The management and finance degrees have, perhaps, one course each (in economics) which is a liberal arts course/discipline.

To me, the much more relevant change would be to label these degrees a Bachelor or Masters in Extension Studies with a focus/major/concentration in XYZ.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • collegecareerstudent
Actually, Harvard could rename the 'Extension School' to 'Executive School.'
Hurrah, problems have gone, and they can charge triple the price even.
[-] The following 3 users Like datby98's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, FastTrackDegree, mohelena02
(10-08-2022, 04:45 AM)datby98 Wrote: Actually, Harvard could rename the 'Extension School' to 'Executive School.'
Hurrah, problems have gone, and they can charge triple the price even.

That would really anger the Harvard alumni base since that would sound more prestigious.
[-] The following 2 users Like eLearner's post:
  • collegecareerstudent, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 3,991 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,863 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 781 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,538 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,265 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,183 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley