Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone completed a Psychology degree with Charter oak state college?
I have decided to major in Psychology. I am now trying to find a test out strategy or plan for Charter oak state college. I am trying to compare it against Thomas edison state college. I want to test out at least 85 to 90% of the degree but I not sure if that is possible with a pyschology degree as some colleges what you to take the core courses. My career goal is teaching at the elementary level (plan to get post bachelor certificate) or a entry level human service related job depending on what I can find. I notice more people have plans for Thomas edision and Im not sure why as Charter oak appear to have a cheaper tuition rate. Any suggestions would help.
TESU is more popular on this forum right now, but that changes periodically. When I was first on here, it was Excelsior, but then they raised their prices and TESU became the favorite. TESU also had a little "loophole" in their degree requirements that allowed TECEP's to be used for residency, which saved another $2200 or so ($2000 enrollment fee - $888 in exams). That went away earlier this year.

Also, EC and COSC require 30cr of UL courses, while TESU only requires 18cr, and all in the major. They also accept more courses as UL, even if they aren't considered UL by ACE - so it just makes that requirement so much easier to fulfill.

COSC has a cheaper tuition rate than TESU, but only by a little bit. COSC requires a cornerstone AND a capstone, and then fees, so the cost (without the rest of the courses) is about $2900. TESU requires a capstone and cornerstone, but the capstone may be waived if you transfer in enough credits, so the cost including capstone, cornerstone and fees is $4198. But, once you add in the extra costs for courses that you have to get by more expensive means because you have to find so many UL courses, may even things out.

The one place where TESU has a definite edge is the BSBA - because the $1500 capstone goes away, and you can take a $114 TECEP exam instead. That also makes the degree faster (no cornerstone or capstone to take at the school).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
desireelws50 Wrote:I have decided to major in Psychology. I am now trying to find a test out strategy or plan for Charter oak state college. I am trying to compare it against Thomas edison state college. I want to test out at least 85 to 90% of the degree but I not sure if that is possible with a pyschology degree as some colleges what you to take the core courses. My career goal is teaching at the elementary level (plan to get post bachelor certificate) or a entry level human service related job depending on what I can find. I notice more people have plans for Thomas edision and Im not sure why as Charter oak appear to have a cheaper tuition rate. Any suggestions would help.

I am just starting out on completing a business degree, and am not much further along than you except that I've applied, been accepted and gotten my list of remaining requirements from COSC, and been able to start listing how to meet the requirements via study.com etc. I don't know anything specifically about psych degrees from either place.

But, the advice I will give (assuming you have prior college credit to transfer in) is to go ahead and apply at both, send your transcripts, and see what they come back with. You should be accepted, and you should receive lists of what classes you still need. You can then look here or online and figure out the easiest, cheapest or best way to meet each requirement.

Applying to both may seem wasteful, but the added cost is less than one additional class would cost, and most likely, it'll save you more than one class. Or at least, you'll be better informed and able to see what fits your own strengths and plans better.

If you won't be transferring in a significant amount of college credit, disregard - you can review the plans before applying and save some fees.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,202 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,868 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,089 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,718 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun