Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have the MBA degree but have never worked a job? What should I do? Thanks
I am not sure how to best handle this situation. I am 22 years old and earned the MBA degree. I have 2 business bachelor's degrees. I have never worked a job so I have no work experience. I am currently doing entry level jobs that are paying me the minimum wage. Should I simply keep doing these jobs to build more experience? Some employers have given me a hard time due to the lack of experience. Some employers have told me that I am overqualified. I do not know everything so I will greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.
First of all -- congrats on achieving a Master's degree (on top of two Bachelor's degrees) at age 22. That's impressive beyond words.

Having said that, you're 22 and you have no work experience, so it's going to be VERY difficult to find a job that demands the level of education that you have. I don't think you necessarily need to relegate yourself to minimum wage jobs, but you may have to take on a job that isn't the one that you want. You're going to have to pay your dues. Credentials are fantastic, but you need some experience to back those credentials up before an employer invests their time in you.

The flip side to that is that, yes, you're overqualified for many of those low-level jobs that will give you good experience. I'd suggest leaving the MBA off of your application for that assistant manager job at Office Depot. But, apply for that job. Get that job. Be a rockstar for a year or two and then apply for a manager job in your field of interest.

If you want to work in a specific industry, see if there is any availability for an internship or volunteer opportunity. For example, if you'd like to break into healthcare administration, see if one of your local hospital systems has an opening for a volunteer in their business office. Spend 12 hours a week volunteering for a little while, network and get to know managers and executives. Once they're comfortable with you and discover that you have the credentials that you have, you'll likely get a decent entry-level job in administration making far above minimum wage.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
Yep, I'd be selling myself to internships (paid preferably) and striving for an entry level management position at least. What schools did you graduate from? What assistance is available from them or from an alumni network?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Good point on contacting career services at your university.

Also, what industry are you interested in working in?

I agree, leave the MBA off your resume at the beginning. Look for a job that a "regular" graduate with a business degree would get after graduation. Entry-level minimum wage jobs are not those. Yes, you need to start low, but not at the very bottom rung.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I see plenty of MBA development programs online and on linkedin often. They are rotational assignments, usually pay less than what a regular person would get, but you basically get a perm position when you're done in a couple years. It's sort of like a suped up internship. Look into them.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I wouldn't leave the MBA off, but rather try to leverage it into something productive. There are a ton of executive development programs and internships out there...apply to a dozen or a hundred and get that career started. What you make in pay is worth far less than the experience and marketing of yourself.

What industry are you looking at? What geographic region?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
What do you wan to do? Okay business,but what area? Licensed nursing home administrator make pretty good money.
SL Business Ethics
SL intro to Business
SL Business Law
SL intro to world religion
SL Accounting 1
PF Strategic management
SL organizational behavior
SL Principles of management
SL macroeconomics
SL microeconomics
SL accounting 2
SL intro bus statistics
PF Corporate Finance
PF International Business
PF Marketing
Alek's College Algebra
SL English comp 2
PF market research
PF retail management
PF HR management
SL Business Communication
S.C Principles of Finance
That is all of my requirements completed.!!

BSBA Thomas Edison State University 2016
SuzanneD Wrote:What do you wan to do? Okay business,but what area? Licensed nursing home administrator make pretty good money.

NH Administrators do make good money on average, but it's not a position that I would recommend lightly. If OP is interested in healthcare, however, it's worth looking into. Most states require a certain number of hours as an Administrator-in-Training and all states require a licensing exam. AIT positions are plentiful, but they typically require some management experience prior to entry. I'd start out at a lower rung before jumping into this.

dmjacobsen Wrote:First of all -- congrats on achieving a Master's degree (on top of two Bachelor's degrees) at age 22. That's impressive beyond words.

sorry, I don't think that's impressive at all

an MBA with ZERO work experience ?

that can't be worth the paper it's printed on

that's like having a CICSO cert without ever having touched a router
or an Oracle cert without having logged onto a database

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,950 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 711 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 298 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 610 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 542 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 296 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 898 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,255 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,876 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74