Poll: Have you taken a CLEP exam using online proctoring?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I have.
38.83%
40 38.83%
No, I have not.
61.17%
63 61.17%
Total 103 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Have you used online proctoring for CLEP?
If you haven't heard yet, the CollegeBoard is now offering the option to take your CLEP exam at home using the Proctortrack online proctoring service.

Have you taken a CLEP exam using Proctortrack? If so, how was your experience? Be sure to respond to the poll at the top of this page!

For more information on taking your CLEP with Proctortrack, check out our article on it:
How to Take Your CLEP Exam Online
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
I haven't. But it doesn't sound like a good experience. Getting free credit sounds nice, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
At the point I took it (maybe 6 weeks ago) it was a little clumsy. (I wrote a post about the whole experience.)

There was one rather serious issue: I was reviewing my answers, and there was an "exit" button, which I assumed was "exit from exam review back to the test", but was actually "exit the test without completing it." It dumped to a helpful screen that said "YOUR TEST WILL END IN 10 SECONDS" and I thought... OK, I'm ready to complete the test... and then it just ungracefully exited out of the entire exam and proctoring app back to my coputer's background.

Their crack live proctor didn't even respond to my repeated messages in the chat window, nor did he notice I was on the phone (to the proctoring service to figure out what I needed to do.). The proctor support line basically just wanted to get me off the phone.

Long and short... after I found an email address for a senior exec at College Board, someone called me the following day, apologized profusely that this button should not have been there at all, and was being removed, and that my test result was still valid and would be scored. Within 48 hours, the whole issue was resolved.

So... other than the proctor being lazy/inattentive, and the "exit" button bug (which has likely now been fixed), it really wasn't a bad experience and in spite of the issues, I would not mind taking another home proctored exam. In my area, the only other option would be driving 40 miles (which I did for two earlier exams), because the local centers are still closed due to Covid... even though the state has fully opened up.
[-] The following 3 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • sparkysmom, Suji, virino
(07-10-2021, 04:26 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: At the point I took it (maybe 6 weeks ago) it was a little clumsy.  (I wrote a post about the whole experience.)  

There was one rather serious issue: I was reviewing my answers, and there was an "exit" button, which I assumed was "exit from exam review back to the test", but was actually "exit the test without completing it."  It dumped to a helpful screen that said "YOUR TEST WILL END IN 10 SECONDS" and I thought... OK, I'm ready to complete the test... and then it just ungracefully exited out of the entire exam and proctoring app back to my coputer's background.  

Their crack live proctor didn't even respond to my repeated messages in the chat window, nor did he notice I was on the phone (to the proctoring service to figure out what I needed to do.). The proctor support line basically just wanted to get me off the phone.

Long and short... after I found an email address for a senior exec at College Board, someone called me the following day, apologized profusely that this button should not have been there at all, and was being removed, and that my test result was still valid and would be scored.  Within 48 hours, the whole issue was resolved.

So... other than the proctor being lazy/inattentive, and the "exit" button bug (which has likely now been fixed), it really wasn't a bad experience and in spite of the issues, I would not mind taking another home proctored exam.  In my area, the only other option would be driving 40 miles (which I did for two earlier exams), because the local centers are still closed due to Covid... even though the state has fully opened up.

I had the exact same thing happen. My live proctor, on the other hand, was really helpful and responded to all my messages. Once I accidentally closed the session, he reopened it (it took a few minutes), and I correctly submitted the test. He even congratulated me for my passing score  Big Grin overall, I think it was decent, but I'm thinking next time I might just go in to a live proctor, because the fact that you can only take notes on a whiteboard was kind of annoying.
(10-20-2021, 06:30 PM)pianoplayer7 Wrote: I had the exact same thing happen. My live proctor, on the other hand, was really helpful and responded to all my messages. Once I accidentally closed the session, he reopened it (it took a few minutes), and I correctly submitted the test. He even congratulated me for my passing score  Big Grin overall, I think it was decent, but I'm thinking next time I might just go in to a live proctor, because the fact that you can only take notes on a whiteboard was kind of annoying.

I'm actually surprised they haven't fixed this yet.  The person I spoke to was pretty high up in the chain (I'd emailed a VP whose email I was able to find, and asked that it be handed to someone to handle) and he said that on investigating my situation, they determined that the "exit" button should not have been there and was going to be removed. And that was in maybe May?  But glad to hear your proctor was actually helpful.

One thing though... I'm not sure that going to a live proctor will be any better as far as being able to have paper.  I had a mixed bag with that.  When I took CLEPs live (before home proctoring was available), I was allowed to have paper.  But when I took the UExcel (which was at a Prometric testing center) I was only allowed a whiteboard.  So you might want to check and see before you make the decision based on that.
I would still recommend CLEP/MS but for proctoring, if you're very close to a testing center, I would do that instead. The provider they use has had breaches to their system, privacy issues galore! Be safe rather than sorry with that company... otherwise, if you're ok with that, go for it, use an older computer without any important files...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Just sharing my experience from today.

I found proctor-track easy to set up and use initially. I did lose connectivity with the proctor in the middle of the exam, and the ETS program kicked me out. I had to restart my computer and talk to their support team on the phone. They had me download Teamviewer  to check my computer settings. The proctor was slow to respond on chat and even the support team was having trouble getting the proctor to respond. The support team was great at helping me get back into the exam. Once I was in the exam, it was easy to navigate back to the questions.

The ETS exam format is similar to other online exams. Flagging questions for later, review tab, etc... After submitting for grading, it gives you a double confirmation screen to send scores or cancel. Again, the proctor was slow to respond after I completed the exam. Not sure if I had a person or some form of AI monitoring.

I have two more CLEPs scheduled using this service, and I hope the proctor is a little more responsive than today's session.
(12-11-2021, 09:45 PM)blueturtle03 Wrote: Just sharing my experience from today.

I found proctor-track easy to set up and use initially. I did lose connectivity with the proctor in the middle of the exam, and the ETS program kicked me out. I had to restart my computer and talk to their support team on the phone. They had me download Teamviewer  to check my computer settings. The proctor was slow to respond on chat and even the support team was having trouble getting the proctor to respond. The support team was great at helping me get back into the exam. Once I was in the exam, it was easy to navigate back to the questions.

The ETS exam format is similar to other online exams. Flagging questions for later, review tab, etc... After submitting for grading, it gives you a double confirmation screen to send scores or cancel. Again, the proctor was slow to respond after I completed the exam. Not sure if I had a person or some form of AI monitoring.

I have two more CLEPs scheduled using this service, and I hope the proctor is a little more responsive than today's session.

They want you to download Teamviewer, then run through your computer settings? WTF LOL.

Giving a random person complete unauditable control over your PC system?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • carrythenothing, jch, rachel83az
What on earth do they need to be messing with in your settings? There is no good reason for that.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Initially, I avoided CLEP remote proctoring due to the reported issues. Recently, though, I decided to give it a shot when I couldn't get to my local testing center at my desired time. My two remote sessions so far have gone well, with no notable issues or interruptions. Modern States has already processed one of the proctoring reimbursement requests.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 146 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 464 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 764 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 490 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 636 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 407 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 450 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,986 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 936 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 551 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM