Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My son is graduating HS with his AA sooner than I expected
What about having fun? What does he want to do? Why not have him post? College is an adult responsibility. Maybe it's time for him to start researching his career and his life. I took a gymnastics course and learned things I still incorporate into my fitness program 40 years later. I went to murder trials. I went to city and county government meetings. I attended every level of political conventions. (Hint: Forgot your party affiliation. Pick the minority party in your area. The minority party is more likely to let a young, enthusiastic young person do more.) I became an election judge. I did everything I could to learn about life and society. Getting an education is not just about credits and degrees. Oh, I could just kick myself for not taking the rappelling course. It wouldn't have gotten me my degree any sooner, but it would have been fun. It was one of several open, no obligation courses taught by the ROTC instructors. I could see using a year of free tuition to take a welding course, a carpentry course, and a plumbing course, particularly at that age.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • cookderosa
^^ I have to say, that's decent advice, especially considering how young he is...seems like he's on track to get his degree within a year or two no matter what path he takes, so why not take some time to pursue some other life-enriching learning or experiences that is hard to get/do after you start your "big boy" job. Take a gap year, or treat the extra year of CC as a gap year to take courses that add to life skills but not necessary to the transcript. I didn't start college until I was 25, but I also spent a lot of time traveling and lived abroad in Taiwan for three years. Not a single regret.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
I was going to mention that if he intends to work in accounting, especially public accounting, on campus recruiting is really helpful. If he gets access to that through the online program, great. If not, he may want to take part of his degree on campus.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
When I graduated from high school in 1993, I had the choice of whether to go to Bowling Green State University for free or the University of Michigan with work study, loans and post-college debt. I went to Michigan and it was one of the great choices of my life. I joined a choir, read most of the Great Books, created and facilitated interfaith dialogue groups, met a ton of incredible people and graduated with an education degree and teaching certificate. I left with about $15,000 in debt and it was one of the great decisions of my life.

I have been a teacher now for about 20 years and I've paid that money back and saved that total many times over. Sometimes the least costly and quickest way is not the best way. I know very little about student aid programs right now, but I do wonder if an early bachelors degree will preclude possible financial aid later. Maybe the kid is smart enough to go to a really great public university?
Thank you all for your time, kind words and suggestions. @cookderosa, I planned on sharing this with you for your HS4CC success stories page when he reaches completion of the AA (much is still in progress/planned)
[-] The following 1 user Likes magflo's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduating in economic downturn year Ideas 4 1,841 02-16-2018, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  How do I go about graduating from TESU? xbrad2 12 2,366 10-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  What's the advantage of graduating with a high or close to 4.0 GPA ? ~ nyvrem 4 1,095 09-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  How can I obtain my degree sooner? journey21 4 1,210 05-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  CLEP Biology harder than I expected! Emclectic08 1 871 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Graduating! deadmonkey 7 1,478 04-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Runner4064
  Roll Call - Who is graduating between now and June, 2008? crshore 22 3,198 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Last Post: barbara2bba
  Done!!!! Graduating. Statistics Did Not Defeat Me!! rhodes145 9 1,678 05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Matymus
  Graduating through testing... iwannapass 2 1,007 03-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Last Post: iwannapass