Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help finishing up BSBA from TESU
Question 
Hi there, I'm working on finishing up a BSBA in General Management from TESU.

I'm working on the last few classes, but wanted to get some more up-to-date advice on my coursework, rather than relying on outdated info from almost 5 years ago when I first started (I know…I know…soooo long ago!).

Here the list of all my courses so far. I can get it in a different format if needed, sorry this was the best I could do from my Excel spreadsheet.

(PF = Penn Foster, SL = StraighterLine, DSST & CLEP are self explanatory, I think)

Code:
+------------+-----------------------------------------------+--------+---------+
| Date       | Course                                        | Source | Credits |
+------------+-----------------------------------------------+--------+---------+
| 2014-05-30 | Analyzing and Interpreting Literature         | CLEP   | 6       |
| 2014-10-06 | Principles of Marketing                       | CLEP   | 3       |
| 2014-12-12 | Information Systems and Computer Applications | CLEP   | 3       |
| 2015-01-30 | Humanities                                    | CLEP   | 6       |
| 2015-09-04 | Principles of Management                      | SL     | 3       |
| 2015-10-12 | Business Ethics & Society                     | DSST?  | 3       |
| 2015-10-26 | Ethics In America                             | DSST?  | 3       |
| 2016-01-14 | Macroeconomics                                | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-01-19 | Intro To Religion                             | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-01-25 | Microeconomics                                | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-02-11 | Business Law                                  | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-02-12 | West Civ I                                    | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-02-17 | West Civ II                                   | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-03-02 | Sociology                                     | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-03-25 | College Composition                           | SL     | 6       |
| 2016-04-08 | Intro To Psychology                           | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-04-13 | American Government                           | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-04-21 | Intro To Business                             | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-05-16 | Organizational Behavior                       | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-06-06 | Accounting I                                  | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-08-04 | Open Water Certification                      | PADI   | 2       |
| 2016-08-11 | College Algebra                               | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-09-02 | Microbiology                                  | SL     | 3       |
| 2016-11-09 | Managerial Accounting                         | SL     | 3       |
| 2017-01-15 | Adva. Open Water                              | PADI   | 1       |
| 2017-03-06 | Human Resource Management                     | DSST   | 3       |
| 2018-12-17 | Medical Terminology                           | SL     | 3       |

I'm looking for advice on completion of this degree; what classes to take and where to take them? (Obviously I'm looking for cheap and fast like everyone else is ?)

Here's my list so far, complete with sources. I'll be honest, I don't remember how I compiled this list; it may be 100% wrong, but this is what I had in my notes from awhile ago. I'm just trying to sift through the vast amount of information out there and need some help.

Code:
| Course                   | Source |
|--------------------------|--------|
| Pre-Calculus             | SL     |
| Financial Accounting     | SL     |
| Statistics               | SL     |
| Accounting?              | SL     |
| Strategic Management     | TESU   |
| Consumer Behavior        | PF     |
| International Management | PF     |
| Principles of Finance    | PF     |
| Fundamentals of Speech   | PF     |

Thanks in advance! My apologies if I'm missing info, let me know and I'll get it posted!

[EDIT 2018-12-19]: Attached to this post is my (kinda messy) tracking spreadsheet both in XLSX and PDF form

[EDIT 2018-12-20]: Updated the attachments to be more friendly and less messy

Attached Files
.pdf   BSBA as of 2018-12-20.pdf (Size: 72.88 KB / Downloads: 10)
.xlsx   BSBA as of 2018-12-20.xlsx (Size: 13.53 KB / Downloads: 6)
Questions: Did you apply to TESU and are you enrolled with them? Meaning, do you still have an active account with them? Which catalog year are you locked into? Don’t take anything from Penn Foster, use Study.com as you will need to take their courses to get a few discounts at TESU. You should just attach your spreadsheet to your post so we can see it clearly.

Precalculus is not needed, you can take ALEKS College Algebra
Financial Accounting SL is fine
Business Statistics SL is fine
Managerial Accounting SL is fine
International Business Study.com
Financial Management Study.com
Presentation Skills Study.com
Strategic Management TESU
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-20-2018, 02:38 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Questions: Did you apply to TESU and are you enrolled with them? Meaning, do you still have an active account with them?  Which catalog year are you locked into?  Don’t take anything from Penn Foster, use Study.com as you will need to take their courses to get a few discounts at TESU.  You should just attach your spreadsheet to your post so we can see it clearly.

Precalculus is not needed, you can take ALEKS College Algebra
Financial Accounting SL is fine
Business Statistics SL is fine
Managerial Accounting SL is fine
International Business Study.com
Financial Management Study.com
Presentation Skills Study.com
Strategic Management TESU

I had applied, but no longer have an active account. I just applied again tonight, so I'm guessing I'd be locked into the 18-19 year? 
For Penn Foster, thanks, that's the kinda information I'm looking for! I'd seen that PF isn't the place to take classes anymore, but I have been so out of the loop that I've no clue anymore.
Attached is my tracking spreadsheet both in XLSX and PDF form. Apologies… it's kinda messy  Big Grin

Attached Files
.xlsx   BSBA as of 2018-12-19.xlsx (Size: 22.27 KB / Downloads: 4)
.pdf   BSBA as of 2018-12-19.pdf (Size: 36.52 KB / Downloads: 1)
(12-20-2018, 02:47 AM)daviesgeek Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 02:38 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Questions: Did you apply to TESU and are you enrolled with them? Meaning, do you still have an active account with them?  Which catalog year are you locked into?

I had applied, but no longer have an active account. I just applied again tonight, so I'm guessing I'd be locked into the 18-19 year? 
For Penn Foster, thanks, that's the kinda information I'm looking for! I'd seen that PF isn't the place to take classes anymore, but I have been so out of the loop that I've no clue anymore.

Considering you're not still actively enrolled or applied, you'll have to resubmit transcripts for everything and all those courses will need to be re-evaluated by TESU. I'm sure one of the degree planners will take a closer look at your course list to see how those apply now, but be aware that many courses evaluate differently now compared to 5 years ago. Looking at the list it appears that you're likely going to lose some UL credits at least. On the bright side, Study.com offers a ton of UL courses now, so that isn't much of an issue for the BSBA GM.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-20-2018, 03:11 AM)Merlin Wrote: Considering you're not still actively enrolled or applied, you'll have to resubmit transcripts for everything and all those courses will need to be re-evaluated by TESU. I'm sure one of the degree planners will take a closer look at your course list to see how those apply now, but be aware that many courses evaluate differently now compared to 5 years ago. Looking at the list it appears that you're likely going to lose some UL credits at least. On the bright side, Study.com offers a ton of UL courses now, so that isn't much of an issue for the BSBA GM.
Ugh…that's gonna be a pain.
I started off a degree plan from 5 years ago, but I did apply and submit my evaluation only in April of last year, so it's not been too long. Yeah, Study.com is a brand new one for me, so that'll be nice to have so many UL courses readily available.
Here's an updated Excel sheet that's a little more friendly

Based on these updated docs, do you have any recommendations for which classes to take where? Even a link to a current 2018 degree plan would work too Smile

Attached Files
.xlsx   BSBA as of 2018-12-20.xlsx (Size: 13.53 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   BSBA as of 2018-12-20.pdf (Size: 72.88 KB / Downloads: 5)
(12-20-2018, 03:20 AM)daviesgeek Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 03:11 AM)Merlin Wrote: Considering you're not still actively enrolled or applied, you'll have to resubmit transcripts for everything and all those courses will need to be re-evaluated by TESU. I'm sure one of the degree planners will take a closer look at your course list to see how those apply now, but be aware that many courses evaluate differently now compared to 5 years ago. Looking at the list it appears that you're likely going to lose some UL credits at least. On the bright side, Study.com offers a ton of UL courses now, so that isn't much of an issue for the BSBA GM.

Ugh…that's gonna be a pain.
I started off a degree plan from 5 years ago, but I did apply and submit my evaluation only in April of last year, so it's not been too long. Yeah, Study.com is a brand new one for me, so that'll be nice to have so many UL courses readily available.

Well, even if it was last evaluated in April of 2017, that is still long enough for evaluations and catalog requirements to have changed.

Plus, in July of 2018 TESU changed their evaluation criteria of LL vs UL credit. They follow the ACE and NCCRS recommendations much more closely now, so they no longer evaluate LL recommended ACE credits as UL as they once did. Nearly all the Straighterline and Saylor courses (among others) evaluate as lower-level credit now, for example.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Unfortunately, if you would have stayed active with your enrollment from when you started, you'd have your old catalog requirements, and you'd have all of the credits in the evaluation with the old credits, especially the UL.  But, it is what it is.

Here's a spreadsheet for you showing where all of your courses should come in, as well as what's left to take.

Also, don't take SL's Financial Accounting, as you have all of the LL courses allowed in the AOS.  If you stick with SL for a while, take Accounting II, as you still need that.

I highlighted my recommendations for Study.com courses in purple.  The reason I suggest those is because of overlap; if you take BUS 120: Int'l Business and then MAR 303: Global Marketing, the 2nd course will be even shorter than it already is because some of the lessons will be completed.  If you then take MAR 308: Applied Marketing, that will also be shorter.  Same with taking BUS 113: Business Communication followed by BUS 313: Organizational Communication.  And these are some of the shortest UL courses with only 1 project/paper that there is.  I also recommend Presentation Skills in the Workplace because it is very short and easy compared to Public Speaking.  I also recommend LIBR 101: Information Literacy for your last GE Elective, as it's very short as well.

Also, with Study.com - don't overlook the power of the placement test.  For some courses it's an option - and if it is, take it!  It can shorten the number of lessons you have to do considerably.  Prin of Finance has one, so does Statistics.  And most of the science courses.

Attached Files
.pdf   daviesgeek TESU BSBA1 GenMan.pdf (Size: 68.79 KB / Downloads: 35)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree with Dfrecore. My suggestion is to follow the purple on the spreadsheet that was created for you before you finish your SL courses. Anything in white that's remaining, complete it at SL as you're familiar with their service/testing (see my first reply for courses, except the financial accounting and college algebra as you have it already).

The reason you want to use Study.com is to get the discounts for a residency waiver and capstone fee. My question is, do you still have a valid SL membership? If so, work on those first instead of the Study.com courses. Both of them go by membership months, so you want to "cram" all you can within that membership before working on the other provider.

One thing missing is that you need another Science course as Medical Terminology is a FREE Elective, but you have too many electives so it was moved to the "other" section. You should use SL and take either IT Fundamentals (it's considered a CIS/CS course), or another easy science such as Environmental Science or Nutrition, whichever has an open book final exam.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Quote:dfrecore:
Unfortunately, if you would have stayed active with your enrollment from when you started, you'd have your old catalog requirements, and you'd have all of the credits in the evaluation with the old credits, especially the UL.  But, it is what it is.

Kicking myself for this…would have been nice to have stuck with the old catalog reqs…

Quote:Here's a spreadsheet for you showing where all of your courses should come in, as well as what's left to take.

Thank you SO MUCH! This is extremely helpful.

Quote:don't overlook the power of the placement test

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have known!!!

Quote:bjcheung77
My question is, do you still have a valid SL membership? If so, work on those first instead of the Study.com courses. Both of them go by membership months, so you want to "cram" all you can within that membership before working on the other provider.

Yes I do, and that was going to be my plan, so thanks for the validation Smile

Quote:One thing missing is that you need another Science course as Medical Terminology is a FREE Elective

I was wondering about that; thanks for clarifying that for me!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 783 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch