Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help for a beginning international student!
@ Supermind

Wow, the links were amazing Supermind. The only thing I need to check is if they would consider my FAA CPL current, since its more than 10 years old. I've been flying in India since - I'll check with the FAA if they can send the credit transfer info to TESU.Also, I am quite well qualified aviation-wise. Will check with them if they are willing to consider my Indian ATP as well.

@ Davewill

Thank you Davewill! I am willing to apply for the degree and pay the fee. However, just to check, lets say I apply now, can I enroll after say 1 year, after finishing the remaining exams for all the credits in this 1 year (Except for the Capstone) maybe.?
Also, the requirements talk about a Physics/Chemistry credit with Lab. Is there anywhere I could do this online? I'm thinking you may not be able to, because of the "lab" requirement.
I am happy they were of help. Hope it works out fine with TESU. As for your enrolment question, you remain enrolled for one year from the day your application is formally processed. Most of us here attempt to complete all 120 credits and earn our degree within that period. And there are online lab courses offered by study.com or straighterline. I haven’t attempted such courses, but I know you can fulfill your lab requirements online.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Supermind, thanks for the info again!

I mailed TESU and got a reply from the Assistant Dean of the school of AST. I've got the necessary info for whether my Aviation credentials will give me the required credit for a BS in Aviation Flight Technology - apparently I will need to take 18 Aviation related credits at TESU. This makes it unviable financially, as it would cost an additional 10000$ approximately.

Now that that's clear, I've decided that a BSBA - not decided on the area of study - would be the best option for me, as I can test out of almost all the credits, and do it at a reasonable price.

I've scouted the forum for any current degree plans. I've not found any up to date ones which start from scratch.

Can someone help me with building a cheap degree plan for a BSBA - with area of study CIS? I cannot take CLEPs since I live in India. I will need to take all my exams online. I'm shooting to finish the degree in 1-1.5 years.
@aditya320, I might not be able to help with creating a degree plan for BSBA. But there are many veterans here, who are extremely helpful. However, I thought I might send you this link which shows course equivalencies between study.com & TESU. https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

Study.com is perhaps, the most preferred ACP (alternative credit provider) on this forum. Their video lessons and quizzes are engaging, and make it easy to learn. You enrol for a monthly membership fee of 199 $, which allows you to take unlimited lessons, but only two online proctored exams. Of course, you could always buy additional exams for $ 70 each.
Straighterline is another online course provider. They have a monthly membership of $ 99, and you can further take each course for $ 59 or so. Some courses cost $ 129.
Saylor Academy is the cheapest option. The courses are free, but the proctored exam costs you $ 25/exam. They have a limited menu of courses. But you will find some good options. Their lessons are long and dragging, and require reading through pages and pages.
Davar Academy is one option too, which offers courses + exams for $ 70 each. Again, limited options, but you will find some good ones.

So, you need to first finalize upon your BSBA specifics, and then look up on these sites to identify courses that match your requirements. Other members on this forum will further support you.

(01-05-2019, 04:35 PM)aditya320 Wrote: Supermind, thanks for the info again!

I mailed TESU and got a reply from the Assistant Dean of the school of AST. I've got the necessary info for whether my Aviation credentials will give me the required credit for a BS in Aviation Flight Technology - apparently I will need to take 18 Aviation related credits at TESU. This makes it unviable financially, as it would cost an additional 10000$ approximately.

Now that that's clear, I've decided that a BSBA - not decided on the area of study - would be the best option for me, as I can test out of almost all the credits, and do it at a reasonable price.

I've scouted the forum for any current degree plans. I've not found any up to date ones which start from scratch.

Can someone help me with building a cheap degree plan for a BSBA - with area of study CIS? I cannot take CLEPs since I live in India. I will need to take all my exams online. I'm shooting to finish the degree in 1-1.5 years.

Did you however confirm, if your aviation credits will apply to some other degree- say BSBA? If you managed to fulfill your free electives requirements with these credits, that would be great!

Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 

(01-05-2019, 04:35 PM)aditya320 Wrote: Supermind, thanks for the info again!

I mailed TESU and got a reply from the Assistant Dean of the school of AST. I've got the necessary info for whether my Aviation credentials will give me the required credit for a BS in Aviation Flight Technology - apparently I will need to take 18 Aviation related credits at TESU. This makes it unviable financially, as it would cost an additional 10000$ approximately. ...
TESU wouldn't tell you this, but a year of comprehensive tuition is only $6,350 with the Study.com discount. You can do up to 36 credits during that year, plus you would then not need the $2200 residency waiver. That may still be too much, or you may not be that interested in getting the aviation degree, but I thought you should know.

The total cost would be:

Tuition:. $6,350
Application fee:. 75
Graduation fee:. 332
-------------
$6,757

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/costs-tuition
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Does this $ 6350 include the $ 1098 Capstone as well?

(01-05-2019, 09:53 PM)Supermind Wrote: Does this $ 6350 include the $ 1098 Capstone as well?

If you choose to use 3 of the 36 credits available to you on the Capstone (which you should), then yes the Capstone is included.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(01-05-2019, 09:53 PM)Supermind Wrote: Does this $ 6350 include the $ 1098 Capstone as well?

The $6350 includes any courses you want it to.  You get 1 year to take 36cr, and yes, the capstone should be taken during that time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Yes. It also includes the cornerstone. The numbers I quoted would be for the entire degree, so long as you get it done during the one year. You would want to make sure you've done enough alternative credit beforehand to be confident of finishing that fast.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
@ Supermind

Thank you very much for the detailed reply once again Supermind. It was very kind of you to take the time to give me the details about the various ways to finish the credits.  After Dave's post about the study.com discount, I'm trying to weigh options again. 

@ Davewill

Thank you for the reply Dave. That was great information! Only, now I'm back to trying to figure out if I should do the Aviation Degree or a BSBA. So considering that I do take the Comprehensive Tution plan, it will cover 36 Credits, and for the rest if I use the cheapest options possible, what would the approximate cost of the degree be? The residency waiver fee also will not be applicable if I do it this way? I'm guessing around 10000$ total, after using the cheapest options for the remaining credits:

FAA CPL - 24 Credits 
Comprehensive tution - 36 credits 
Remaining: 60 Credits ---> Approximately around 20 courses ---> So around 2500-3000$?

Now if we come to the BSBA Degree, I've seen estimates of around 7500$ for most of the degree plans.

@ Dfrecore

Hi dfrecore, I've seen a lot of your posts helping people with degree plans. What do you think the above estimates for cost?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMHB MyWay CBE BAS Now Welcomes International Students Jonathan Whatley 2 406 11-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Clackamas CC ARPA Payment - check your student email! ctcarl 4 972 08-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  International Uni's with RA in USA Prof.Gringo 2 981 12-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Questions From Future Student Looking to Enroll at TESU, Excelsior, or WGU Kalpa 8 3,808 07-26-2019, 09:06 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  International Student seeking guidance from others SweetsugarNL 17 2,656 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  International Czech girl need help BA LadaD 0 942 01-11-2019, 12:28 AM
Last Post: LadaD