Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help interpreting my Excelsior Review
(01-08-2019, 07:28 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I am impressed as Excelsior College gave you 8 SH for FEMA IS Credits direct?  How long ago?

I took femas ages ago. Like over 10-12 years ago

I need 52 credits at Thomas Edison compared to 50 at Excelsior.
TESU has less UL requirements though, don't they? So if at TESU, it shows your UL completed, I would stick with them as LL courses are easier to come by. That's just my opinion.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(01-09-2019, 07:45 PM)mdel210201 Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 07:28 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I am impressed as Excelsior College gave you 8 SH for FEMA IS Credits direct?  How long ago?

I took femas ages ago.  Like over 10-12 years ago

I need 52 credits at Thomas Edison compared to 50 at Excelsior.

Did you apply to COSC also?  I applied to all three myself for official looks.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

MrBossmanJr Wrote:TESU has less UL requirements though, don't they? So if at TESU, it shows your UL completed, I would stick with them as LL courses are easier to come by. That's just my opinion.

This is correct, you should list your copy/paste your evaluation in here so we can review your UL requirements.
The UL needed for a BALS is only 18 credits, 15 UL Arts/Sciences of your choosing and 3 from the Capstone.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-09-2019, 09:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
MrBossmanJr Wrote:TESU has less UL requirements though, don't they? So if at TESU, it shows your UL completed, I would stick with them as LL courses are easier to come by. That's just my opinion.

This is correct, you should list your copy/paste your evaluation in here so we can review your UL requirements.  
The UL needed for a BALS is only 18 credits, 15 UL Arts/Sciences of your choosing and 3 from the Capstone.

I attached my TESC eval here

Attached Files
.docx   mikes tesc eval.docx (Size: 24.78 KB / Downloads: 25)
Hey, here's a degree plan for you using the FREE courses and 3 providers - Onlinedegree.com, StraighterLine, Study.com 
You may want to review my Signature Link post #16, 27/28 and the last post 31 for more details and similar degree plan templates.  

1) Email TESU academic advising asking them to see if these courses can fit into the slots I've placed them and have the courses pre-approved/added into your evaluation.  Mention to them you have created a degree plan by following their equivalency links and want to make sure it works before completing the courses.

Onlinedegree.com: https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...apping.pdf
StraighterLine: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
Study.com: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

2) Create yourself an ACE credit registry account for credit record keeping, when asked for a SSN, leave it blank.
This is for reference purposes in the future when you need it of all your ACE alternative credits 
Link: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main

3) Sign up for the FREE courses here, see if you can complete them in a week.  My suggestion is to invest in a second monitor, have the course exam open on the main monitor, on the second monitor, have the PDF text and/or course open to search answers. User the same password for these  
Links: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

4) As per the spreadsheet, you have 5 OD, 5 SL, and 5 Study.com course, I recommend these they're the cheap, easy, fast  options to finish the courses.  OD/Study.com courses are quizzes and final.  Try to write down some notes from the quizzes or create a summary, then prepare for the final (there are no text).  Again, use first monitor for quiz/second monitor for reviewing video and your notes or lesson notes.  For the proctored final, I don't use any notes at all.

For StraighterLine, again, have your first monitor for quiz/midterm and the second monitor for the open text book to search answers.  Some of the finals are open book as well!  StraighterLine courses can practically be passed BEFORE the final exam, just power through these by going directly to the exams/midterms and then schedule your proctored final exam.

BTW, OD is NCCRS so you won't add them to your ACE credit registry, but the FREE courses and StraighterLine, Study.com you should.   Even though you can send SL/Study.com course transcripts to TESU directly, having a backup registry is great and FREE until you send a transcript to TESU.  I will recommend only sending 1 (the first & final request), it costs $20, subsequent ones cost $15.  Here's some info on OD courses: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid277846

5) You should do the following courses in this order, and try to get them all done in 1 month for each set.  So, the FREE courses and TESU's Cornerstone course, do them right away.  Then work on your SL courses as they're the easiest of the three, OD courses, and finally, your Study.com courses.  Your final course to take would be 3 months away, sign up for the May LIB 495 Capstone from March 22 to April 13.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Degree Plan - Revised.xlsx (Size: 11.46 KB / Downloads: 31)

Wow!!! Thank you so much for all that! Amazing! So I am assuming that you feel Tesc is the way to go? Again I truly appreciate all this.
(01-10-2019, 08:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, here's a degree plan for you using the FREE courses and 3 providers - Onlinedegree.com, StraighterLine, Study.com 
You may want to review my Signature Link post #16, 27/28 and the last post 31 for more details and similar degree plan templates.  

1) Email TESU academic advising asking them to see if these courses can fit into the slots I've placed them and have the courses pre-approved/added into your evaluation.  Mention to them you have created a degree plan by following their equivalency links and want to make sure it works before completing the courses.

Onlinedegree.com: https://www.onlinedegree.com/wp-content/...apping.pdf
StraighterLine: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/
Study.com: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

2) Create yourself an ACE credit registry account for credit record keeping, when asked for a SSN, leave it blank.
This is for reference purposes in the future when you need it of all your ACE alternative credits 
Link: https://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseacti...ripts.main

3) Sign up for the FREE courses here, see if you can complete them in a week.  My suggestion is to invest in a second monitor, have the course exam open on the main monitor, on the second monitor, have the PDF text and/or course open to search answers. User the same password for these  
Links: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

4) As per the spreadsheet, you have 5 OD, 5 SL, and 5 Study.com course, I recommend these they're the cheap, easy, fast  options to finish the courses.  OD/Study.com courses are quizzes and final.  Try to write down some notes from the quizzes or create a summary, then prepare for the final (there are no text).  Again, use first monitor for quiz/second monitor for reviewing video and your notes or lesson notes.  For the proctored final, I don't use any notes at all.

For StraighterLine, again, have your first monitor for quiz/midterm and the second monitor for the open text book to search answers.  Some of the finals are open book as well!  StraighterLine courses can practically be passed BEFORE the final exam, just power through these by going directly to the exams/midterms and then schedule your proctored final exam.

BTW, OD is NCCRS so you won't add them to your ACE credit registry, but the FREE courses and StraighterLine, Study.com you should.   Even though you can send SL/Study.com course transcripts to TESU directly, having a backup registry is great and FREE until you send a transcript to TESU.  I will recommend only sending 1 (the first & final request), it costs $20, subsequent ones cost $15.  Here's some info on OD courses: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid277846

5) You should do the following courses in this order, and try to get them all done in 1 month for each set.  So, the FREE courses and TESU's Cornerstone course, do them right away.  Then work on your SL courses as they're the easiest of the three, OD courses, and finally, your Study.com courses.  Your final course to take would be 3 months away, sign up for the May LIB 495 Capstone from March 22 to April 13.

Thank you so much again.  Quick Question.  I have taken a few other classes elsewhere that I have not sent over.  See below:

- Nassau County Fire Academy - Primaries and Essentials of Firefighter - (NCCRS 5 credits in Lower Level Fire Science, Occup Health and safety or fire protection technology)
- Nassau County Fire Academy - Strategies & Tactics of Firefighting - (NCCRS 1 credit in Lower Level same as above)
- NYS EMT Certification (have received 4 credits in the past from Empire State College but not sure if TESC would do the same)
- CLEP Analyzing & Interp Lit (3 credits)

Do you happen to know where these may fit in my degree plan?

Thanks a bunch
Yup, your CLEP goes into Human Cultures, so you can take one of the two courses out of that area. The other courses, are all going to go into the FREE Electives, as they can be anything but remedial courses. Swap the courses around if needed, ask them to see if it can be used elsewhere (which I don't think will happen).

(01-11-2019, 09:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yup, your CLEP goes into Human Cultures, so you can take one of the two courses out of that area.  The other courses, are all going to go into the FREE Electives, as they can be anything but remedial courses.  Swap the courses around if needed, ask them to see if it can be used elsewhere (which I don't think will happen).

Sorry I am being a pest but I have another question.  Many years ago to get into the Police department I had transferred 30 fema credits over to Frederick CC and did not send the transcript over to Excelsior.  Do you think that would alter my Excelsior Evaluation much?  Do you know where they would fit into my evaluation?  Or would you still say TESU is the way to go?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 403 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,584 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,646 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,315 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,074 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,735 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,311 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az