Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Capstone?
Tongue 
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just started my TESU Liberal Arts Capstone.  I'm really freaking out about Written Assignment 1, which is due in about a week.   I feel like I'm getting conflicting information about what should be included in the paper.  The directions for assignment 1 give a list what should be included in your paper, but the list includes things that I don't think would be included in an academic paper, such as the topic's personal relevancy to me. (I also read in the required text that we should avoid writing about anything personal, then the first assignment seems to be asking us to do just that.)  It was my understanding that the 1st assignment is the intro for your capstone paper as a whole, which would imply needing an abstract, but no mention of that in the assignment guidelines either?  I'm not a strong academic writer to begin with, so I'm really nervous about not even getting the format right.  There were no samples provided, does anyone out there have samples that are available to share, or any advice?  At this point I'm really worried about bombing it.   Thanks!
Alot of what you're expected to put in there depends on your professor. I would ask them if you have any questions.

I mean I would be happy to give you my Part 1 or whatever but if your professor wants something different, it's not going to help you any.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Don't fret over the capstone, it's probably your last course and you have 12 weeks to do the entire thing. Many people complete all the assignments before the deadline, just go accordingly to the calendar of when these assignments are supposed to be completed. Don't spend too much time "overthinking" what should be done or second guessing yourself. Search the previous threads and see if there are some samples you may find and then go full steam ahead until you get them done...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-09-2019, 02:54 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Alot of what you're expected to put in there depends on your professor. I would ask them if you have any questions.

I mean I would be happy to give you my Part 1 or whatever but if your professor wants something different, it's not going to help you any.

Thanks, I think I probably should just message the professor or maybe post in the class open forum, I can't be the only one confused about this.  I am honestly way out of my depth, I took my Composition classes 10+ years ago and don't do much writing at work,etc.  I'm regretting not taking a refresher course of some sort, but too late now.

(09-09-2019, 03:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Don't fret over the capstone, it's probably your last course and you have 12 weeks to do the entire thing.  Many people complete all the assignments before the deadline, just go accordingly to the calendar of when these assignments are supposed to be completed.  Don't spend too much time "overthinking" what should be done or second guessing yourself.  Search the previous threads and see if there are some samples you may find and then go full steam ahead until you get them done...

Thank you, I think I just needed to hear that.  Crossing my fingers that the professor is speedy about grading papers and gives helpful feedback so I can learn from his comments on the first assignment.
There was a post very recently that the Capstone course for the BALS (Liberal Arts) changes formats (likely as early as this one you're now in) - so what you're finding here may be the way it was vs the way it is now.  Go by what the course instructions are now - if they want you to present facts and add a bit of your personal take (opinion) then do it. The key to presenting a personal side in an academic paper (when asked for it) is backing it up with facts that brought you to form it.

And of course, if you're still questioning the assignment contact the professor.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • MissEmily, suzycupcake
I felt really overwhelmed when I started my Capstone too. Don't freak out about it, you can do it. Just chop it up into bite sized pieces and you'll be fine
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,143 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 876 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 661 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 872 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,969 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,655 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne