Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with planning a double major
Hey everyone  Smile

Does anyone have experience planning a double major from TESU. I've seen a few posts on the subject but am confused by some of the wording. I see that TESU requires at least 24 credits to be different between your first major & the second. I'm considering a double major in Psychology & Criminal Justice, and I'm wondering if it's possible to complete the Criminal Justice AOS requirements and have them fill in for my Psych. electives (& vice versa). 

Also, has anyone successfully found upper level alternative credit sources for a criminal justice degree at TESU?
I haven't fully decided to pursue the second major it's just something I'm considering. Any help will be appreciated!
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
I think some TEEX credits count as UL ones at TESU? But I'm not positive. I know I've seen other people talking about taking TEEX courses while getting a criminal justice degree, but I can't recall if it was for UL or LL courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ab10365
Unless things have changed since my catalog (which was 2018-2019, if I'm not mistaken), the 24 credits requirement was for getting two degrees, not for a double major. The requirement for a double major was that no more than nine credits in the area of study overlap - which shouldn't be much of a problem for you, as there's not any overlap I see between the required courses (aside from the Capstone).

You can use your Criminal Justice classes as electives in the Psych degree (though not as Psych electives, unless there's a course that falls in both categories - just as free electives or, in some cases, gen ed electives), or in any spot in the Gen Ed requirements where they would fit
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • ab10365, scorpion
(06-19-2020, 07:43 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think some TEEX credits count as UL ones at TESU? But I'm not positive. I know I've seen other people talking about taking TEEX courses while getting a criminal justice degree, but I can't recall if it was for UL or LL courses.

Thank you so much!  I'll look into TEEX. I've seen that program mentioned in a few posts before but I completely forgotten about it.

(06-19-2020, 09:29 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Unless things have changed since my catalog (which was 2018-2019, if I'm not mistaken), the 24 credits requirement was for getting two degrees, not for a double major. The requirement for a double major was that no more than nine credits in the area of study overlap - which shouldn't be much of a problem for you, as there's not any overlap I see between the required courses (aside from the Capstone).

You can use your Criminal Justice classes as electives in the Psych degree (though not as Psych electives, unless there's a course that falls in both categories - just as free electives or, in some cases, gen ed electives), or in any spot in the Gen Ed requirements where they would fit

Okay perfect thank you! So there's a possiblity I could plan to graduate both with majors with only 120 credits then? School has already burned through my bank account haha I'd really like to keep costs down if I can.
Working on: TESU BA Psychology & Criminal Justice

Completed:
Straighterline: Intro to Criminal Justice, Intro to Communications, Intro to Religion, Western Civilization I, Organizational 
 Behavior, Cultural Anthropology, Business Ethics,
Sophia: Ancient Greek Philosophers, Art History I, Introduction to Sociology, Project Management, Intro to Statistics
TEEX: Death Investigation
Coopersmith: Abnormal Psychology
Study.com: The Juvenile Justice System
I'm currently doing a TESU dual major with Computer Science and Psychology. You may want to check my degree plan to get an idea of the alt-credit available for Psychology. I'm able to satisfy all the requirements so far with only Study.com and Coopersmith.

(06-19-2020, 09:29 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Unless things have changed since my catalog (which was 2018-2019, if I'm not mistaken), the 24 credits requirement was for getting two degrees, not for a double major. The requirement for a double major was that no more than nine credits in the area of study overlap - which shouldn't be much of a problem for you, as there's not any overlap I see between the required courses (aside from the Capstone).

This is the right answer. TESU treats completing the degree requirements for two areas of study within the same graduation cycle as a dual major. There's nothing special to distinguish it except for the 9 credit overlap limit. Just make sure you satisfy both degrees before paying the graduation fee, and note that you're applying for graduation with both majors when you pay your fee -- you don't want to end up with two degrees by mistake!

(06-19-2020, 09:29 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: You can use your Criminal Justice classes as electives in the Psych degree (though not as Psych electives, unless there's a course that falls in both categories - just as free electives or, in some cases, gen ed electives), or in any spot in the Gen Ed requirements where they would fit

The Psych degree only requires 6 credits of AOS electives, so you'll probably fill them up anyway while hitting the UL credit minimum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,851 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 33 2,092 7 hours ago
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 532 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,069 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,290 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Major career change, cosmetology to MSW/LMSW bonjourcat 20 534 04-04-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: bonjourcat
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 10 382 03-29-2024, 01:55 PM
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 464 03-28-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
Big Grin Degree Planning - Longtime listener, first time caller Wiser Indigenous 10 944 03-17-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: rachel83az