Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Guys, I need some help.
Also noticing:

She needs 12 hours of Knowledge of Human Cultures, not 9.

She should take the CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Lit for 6 credits instead of SL World Religions for 3. The CLEP will fulfill the Information Literacy in general ed and the analyzing and interpreting lit requirement in the major.

Actually, if she kept the SL World Religions that would take care of credits 10-12 in Knowledge of Human Cultures.

HIST-102 won't work for the Civic Engagement requirement, but that Intro to Political Theory course might work, so possibly switch those around. Another option would be to plan in AL American Government or Saylor Intro to Comparative Politics.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Sorry, World Lit is the name of the course and it should count as Non-Western Lit.
And I forgot the link:
https://courses.extension.utexas.edu/self-paced
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Would that History of Native American Arts work for Knowledge of Human Cultures?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Yes, it would.

Since she also needs free electives, I'm trying to think of things you could add. There are a lot of Shmoop classes that she could use, of course.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Also noticing:

She needs 12 hours of Knowledge of Human Cultures, not 9.

She should take the CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Lit for 6 credits instead of SL World Religions for 3. The CLEP will fulfill the Information Literacy in general ed and the analyzing and interpreting lit requirement in the major.

Actually, if she kept the SL World Religions that would take care of credits 10-12 in Knowledge of Human Cultures.

HIST-102 won't work for the Civic Engagement requirement, but that Intro to Political Theory course might work, so possibly switch those around. Another option would be to plan in AL American Government or Saylor Intro to Comparative Politics.

That CELP is down to 3cr now as I recall, only 6 if you had done the old version. I used the study.com American government course personally but I was given access via the scholarship. If it's still be offered by guardian it may be worth applying, that is up to 18cr for free
KayV Wrote:Yes, it would.

Since she also needs free electives, I'm trying to think of things you could add. There are a lot of Shmoop classes that she could use, of course.
Not too worried about those. There's always the freebies and personal finance... Plus an art class or two at CC might be good therapy going forward.

Plan A is still to return to Berkeley. But, she is really down because the possibility of not being able to return is quite real and she's missed deadlines to apply to the local universities for next fall. I wanted to show her that she could still graduate in a year online if she dived in. It seems to be helping a bit.

She wants to be an English teacher, and still has a 1 year teacher cert program to do after graduating.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

No, TESU accepts the Analyzing and Interpreting Lit course as 6 credits, along with still accepting several other downgraded 6 to 3 credit exams as 6 hours.
CLEP - College-Level Exam Program

(Charter Oak and Excelsior now accept them as 3 hour exams)

Davewill, that's a great idea to show your daughter all the options. I remember spending most of semester in the hospital my sophomore year (pneumonia gone so very wrong), and it was pretty disheartening at the time. It all worked out though.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Here's the spreadsheet revised based on your feedback. Let me know if I've still screwed up.

Attached Files
.xls   Less than 1 minute ago">TESU BA English Daughter.xls (Size: 20.5 KB / Downloads: 1)

It's not a screw-up, it's a work in progress! Fine-tuning is all it needs.

I was noticing that you have a lot of courses planned that she hasn't yet taken. She could omit most of those just by moving a few things around.

The survey series is meant to be a two-semester set of courses in the same literary tradition. They are usually completed with one 6-credit CLEP: either CLEP American Lit or CLEP British Lit. American Lit has a perception of being easier for most Americans. The Lit in English though Milton/ Lit in English Mid-19th- 20th Centuries would work too, but since she hasn't taken it yet, it wouldn't be as expedient as the CLEP.

For Analysis and Interpretation of Literature, the Intro Alt Crit Perspectives Lit Cultr 3 will work and she has already completed it, so woohoo!

She will need a total of 18 hours of electives and 15 of those are the upper level courses. I would plan in an already-done course instead of planning new ones.

That being said, since she hasn't taken Shakespeare yet, I would definitely plan it, but from the Shmoop pantheon rather than from CAL Extension. She could also take the other Shmoop lit courses for free electives since it will definitely help her as a teacher.

So I would plan out her major credits like this:
Area of Study: English

Survey of Literature I: LIT-205/206 CLEP American Literature 6 (or CLEP British Lit 6)
Analysis and Interpretation of Literature: Intro Alt Crit Perspectives Lit Cultr 3
Nonwestern Literature: E 316N World Literature
UL 1: LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone
UL 2: Shmoop ENG-301 The Holocaust
UL 3: Shmoop LIT-430 Literature and the Media
UL 4: Shmoop LIT-323 Women in Literature
UL 5: Coopersmith Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (LIT-401)
UL 6: UTexas E 348 The Twentieth Century Short Story
Elective: Intro to American Lit Traditions
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
The Cal courses "not taken" are incompletes she needs to finish, so replacing them isn't an option. Isn't that World Lit upper level?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ok guys I'm going with Sanantone's BSBA degree plan! still need a lil help tonywantsadegree 8 1,166 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Question For You Guys... Does my college plan make sense? MT0911 11 1,279 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Last Post: MT0911
  What have you guys done with your degrees? richie021501 8 859 04-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: taylor
  Guys PLEASE HELP ME candothis 11 2,215 09-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Last Post: candothis