Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschooling
Hi,
I just graduated from homeschool this past June. My parents never started homeschooling me till I was in 4th grade. For me it has been a tremendous blessing and I would never go back to school. That is one of the reasons I decided to get my BA by testing; I didn't want to deal with the whole school atmosphere again.

The stats about 75% of homeschoolers being evangelical Christians are pretty accurate. The primary reason people homeschool is religious- to be able to teach their children what they want- not what Washington thinks they should learn. Deuteronomy 6:6 states that parents should teach their children about the Lord all the time during all parts of the day, not just after school hours.

And as to the whole diversity of thought issue, public schools are teaching children one philosophy: humanism. They teach theories as if they're scientific law. There is no room for other philosophies in the modern education system.

Finally I am very glad my parents took the time and effort and spent the blood, sweat and tears to homeschool me and if the Lord blesses me with children I will definitely homeschool them.
Do you follow EVERYTHING that's in Deuteronomy, or do you just pick and choose? I'm just curious.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Do you follow EVERYTHING that's in Deuteronomy, or do you just pick and choose? I'm just curious.

I love this question. While religion is about choice Christianity advocates that the Law was fulfilled in Christ and so reading the Pentateuch as instructions to Christians would make it necessary to eat clean foods, wear my beard long and not wear clothing containing both Cotton and Rayon as these rules are also in the Pentateuch. While it is everyone's God-given right to educate their children as they see fit. Applying single verse proof texts to make it a requirement on those who believe in God and Jesus to homeschool is unwise, it would be much better to demonstrate that Christians apply their scriptures in a logical manner and say that as Christians we exercise our liberty to educate ourselves in a home schools as it is our duty to teach what we deem good doctrine to our children.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:I love this question. While religion is about choice Christianity advocates that the Law was fulfilled in Christ and so reading the Pentateuch as instructions to Christians would make it necessary to eat clean foods, wear my beard long and not wear clothing containing both Cotton and Rayon as these rules are also in the Pentateuch. While it is everyone's God-given right to educate their children as they see fit. Applying single verse proof texts to make it a requirement on those who believe in God and Jesus to homeschool is unwise, it would be much better to demonstrate that Christians apply their scriptures in a logical manner and say that as Christians we exercise our liberty to educate ourselves in a home schools as it is our duty to teach what we deem good doctrine to our children.

I follow the moral laws in the Old Testament; I do not follow the ceremonial laws because they have already been fulfilled in Christ. I have no need to follow those as Christ fulfilled them. But the moral laws I am commanded to and must obey. So must you.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"Never. Never. Never. Never give up." Winston Churchill

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to all who believe, to the Jews first, then also to the Gentiles," Romans 1:16

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols." 1st John 5:22
[-] The following 1 user Likes GAHenty's post:
  • elcastor21
And just before turning out the lights on the 6th day God created InstantCert and the Degree Forum so that all of his precious children could complete their college degrees with ease! Wink
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I wouldn't go as far as that, although if I would I might respond "and it was good"
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
edit: flogging a dead horse Smile
Current Credits

Irish Education

This thread is a dead horse. Freedom in our country doesn't mean you have to be right to act, it means you get to choose. People are fighting here for the wrong thing, you shouldn't fight to convince others to make your perspective the right one, you should applaud the wisdom of our forefathers for allowing you to HAVE one and act upon it. Big picture. The laws that allow me to teach my children as a I see fit are the same laws that protect all homeschoolers (secular or religious); my freedom depends on accepting extreme groups on either side because debating what goes into a homeschool experience LIMITS freedom, it doesn't improve it.
Yeahhh,
We are probably going a little overboard on the details here, but what's the point of discussing unless you can argue about the details? =) I agree with what you say about freedom, but if I truly view my perspective as the correct one, wouldn't I want to see everyone else adopt that view too? If I seem narrow minded that's because I am narrow minded. As a Christian I have to be narrow minded. My Savior is, and so must I. Now, that by no means means that I don't love people who view differently than I do. And that doesn't mean that I don't agree to disagree about certain issues, but there are other issues which I will die on. Now I will say homeschooling is not one of those issues I will die on, but it's really close. I'll get wounded on it! =)
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"Never. Never. Never. Never give up." Winston Churchill

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation to all who believe, to the Jews first, then also to the Gentiles," Romans 1:16

"Little children, keep yourselves from idols." 1st John 5:22
At the elementary to middle school levels, there are various resources available from free to paid resources to homeschool children, by the time they reach the youth/teens, they should be high school and should take the resources through Dual Enrollment, AP, CLEP, ACE and NCCRS options if they decide on those routes... Customizing and personalizing credit from various resources can get them an Associates degree along with their High School diploma if planned accordingly, some even go up to the Bachelors level and graduate at the same time or one after the other... Here's a read: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...d-with-ACE
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • MFG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 7,970 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Homeschooling in North Carolina cookderosa 15 3,083 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Homeschooling Success! mrs.b 15 1,917 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  homeschooling website giving away a copy of my book! cookderosa 6 1,818 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: namwen
  Homeschooling...for newbies mrs.b 10 1,645 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  8-10th Grade Science - Homeschooling Help burbuja0512 8 1,729 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Homeschooling? Farmerboy 43 9,412 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Last Post: QuotableKali1918