Poll: What is your opinion of Homeschooling?
This poll is closed.
Homeschooling is better than the public system.
81.71%
67 81.71%
Homeschooling and the public system are about equal.
9.76%
8 9.76%
The public system is much better than homeschooling.
3.66%
3 3.66%
Homeschooling should be outlawed.
4.88%
4 4.88%
Total 82 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschooling?
I'm for homeschooling 100% but cannot vote due to the wording of the questions.

What is your opinion of Homeschooling?

Homeschooling is better than the public system. - not necessarily. There are a few public schools in the Chicago North suburbs and some magnet schools in the city that offer a great education that I wouldn't hesitate to send my son to.

Homeschooling and the public system are about equal. - It depends. Not all public schools are equal.

Glenbrook North High School in a suburb of Chicago where a hazing incident made the news in 2003 and Kennedy High School in Chicago where poor boy was beaten and had feces thrown on him a few years ago is no comparison to North Trier high School in Winnetka a public high school in the Chicago suburbs which was called the best public school in America not too long ago and Walter Payton College Prep/Whitney Young two magnet schools also in Chicago that consistently turn out very intelligent young adults.

So I can assume there may be that wide variation in homeschooling as well.

[U]The public system is much better than homeschooling[/U] - not on the West side of Chicago! During my stint as a school nurse at a public school on Chicago's west side there were not enough books or pencils to be had. Children had to share!

In this case I think homeschool would win out.

But I also knew a girl who attended my church when we were young who could barely do math. She had been homeschooled by her mother who wasn't the sharpest tack in the box before attending the local Christian School. (She ended up going to my Christian High School I attended. I attended for a year before going to public school due to finances. If anyone has read my past posts on the subject you all know how I feel about MY public school experience.)

The damage had already been done and she just could not keep up in math and in many other subjects. It might have been best in that instance for the girl to have gone to public/private school instead of being homeschooled.

(Going off topic, but my Christian High School was the best. I blew all those public school students away in every subject! It's too bad private school isn't listed as one of the options. I had a wonderful time when I went to private school. The teachers were great, seemed to care and expected so much more from us than any public school teacher I encountered. My fellow classmates @ my Christian High School were like family. )

Homeschooling should be outlawed.

- Can I say the word No with any more emphasis? There are situations where it might be best for children to be homeschooled. We must have options and freedom to choose what is best for our own children.

Come to Chicago and check out some of the public schools on the West and South Sides. I daresay those who voted for this would change their vote in a hearbeat. We can talk about funding until the cows come home to right this wrong, but for right now, there has to be an option to those parents who can not wait and will not wait for governmental help.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
It's good that you seem to like public schools, but let's forget about which school has better education for a minute.
What about the cruelty of kids in public schools?
I'm so glad I was saved from that.
hilarious <---[COLOR="Magenta"] What people do around me.[/COLOR]
Currently taking: Introductory Sociology
QuotableKali1918 Wrote:It's good that you seem to like publich schools, but let's forget about which school has better education for a minute.
What about the cruelty of kids in public schools?
I'm so glad I was saved from that.

Uhh....did you even read what I wrote? Yes, I like public schools- in certain cases. Yes, I am for homeschooling- again in certain cases. I've even thought of homeschooling my son. I also would choose private school had that been an option since I had a great experience. While I flourished in a private school I floundered in a public school. What works for one, may not work for another. I don't believe there is one right answer when it comes to homeschooling.
When I am not studying - https://youtu.be/C-kk8xa0BLQ

MS in Public Health at SNHU in progress. Expected Grad Date - August 2017

Hardstyle Kettlebell Certified -2014, Ice Chamber Kettlebell Sport Certified - 2015

NCSF Personal Trainer -2010

Done! BS in LIBERAL STUDIES From Excelsior. Conferral Date - Dec 18, 2009!

Licensed Practical Nurse - 1996

Completed!
Military - 58 credits
Traditional - 12 credits
Clep - 21 credits
Excelsior Exams - Organizational Behavior(B), World Population (A), Ethics (A), Cultural Diversity (B),Psychology of A&A (A), Gerontology (B)
DSST -Drugs & Alcohol (A), Civil War (A), Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (A), Social Psychology (A)
Penn Foster- Info Lit (passed)
april004 Wrote:Uhh....did you even read what I wrote? Yes, I like public schools- in certain cases. Yes, I am for homeschooling- again in certain cases. I've even thought of homeschooling my son. I also would choose private school had that been an option since I had a great experience. While I flourished in a private school I floundered in a public school. What works for one, may not work for another. I don't believe there is one right answer when it comes to homeschooling.
Yes, I did read what you wrote.
But there's no way to tell if there is going to be cruel kids in a certain school.
Of course, there will be cruel people all over the world, but it would be better to raise a kid that didn't have to deal with that, wouldn't it?
hilarious <---[COLOR="Magenta"] What people do around me.[/COLOR]
Currently taking: Introductory Sociology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooling Leebo 201 15,452 01-24-2024, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 7,921 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Homeschooling in North Carolina cookderosa 15 3,032 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Homeschooling Success! mrs.b 15 1,886 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  homeschooling website giving away a copy of my book! cookderosa 6 1,805 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: namwen
  Homeschooling...for newbies mrs.b 10 1,636 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  8-10th Grade Science - Homeschooling Help burbuja0512 8 1,710 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Last Post: bluebooger