Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Colleges Accept Non-Military ACE Credits?
Unless one wants to survey the 4,000+ colleges and universities in the U.S. or sample the list of 2,000+ colleges and universities in the ACE network, the quickest way to get a very rough, conservative estimate is to look at the number of colleges who have accepted credits from Straighterline. The reason why I made this thread is because multiple members here have perpetuated the misinformation that less than a couple of hundred colleges will accept ACE credits. If you simply go by the number of schools that have accepted Straighterline courses, at least 500 schools will accept non-military ACE credits. The actual number could two to three times this. If NCCRS can manage to get 1,500 cooperating schools who signed up to be cooperating schools (NCCRS is affiliated with the New York State Education Department), then I'm sure the more well-known ACE enjoys wider acceptance.

Online College Credit Transfer: How It Works | StraighterLine

If you believe that Straighterline is lying about its list of schools that have accepted its credits, since paranoia seems to be rampant here, you can always contact some of the schools. One school that is not on Straighterline's list that has told me they will accept some Straighterline courses is Central Texas College. There are potentially hundreds of colleges like this that have not been found out by Straighterline through their surveying. I can confirm that University of Texas at Austin, which is on SL's list of non-partner colleges, does accept SL courses for its nursing program prerequisites.

https://nursing.utexas.edu/docs/academic...isites.pdf

There are some mistakes on SL's list that leads to a few duplicates. Some of the colleges are now partner colleges. They weren't when the list was compiled. There also seems to be some mistakes in the names given by the students. For example, University of Texas at San Marcos does not exist. The student probably meant Texas State University, San Marcos. Mountain State University lost its accreditation a few years ago, so it's closed.

For those who don't believe that a school like John Hopkins will accept SL courses, John Hopkins does note on its website that it accepts credits from FEI based on their ACE approval. This is for a graduate program. FEI courses are listed on the ACE website under the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Government | Advanced Academic Programs | Johns Hopkins University
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
No, just starting a new thread doesn't make your proclamation true.

I will use my own state of California and look at public colleges since they're almost always cheaper. I don't know Texas. But you are very far from proving your case.

A sizable minority of the community colleges won't take CLEP. There is no mention of DSST at almost all California community colleges and state universities. The exceptions would be down in the San Diego area. The University of California doesn't take CLEP at all and will sometimes restrict AP credit. In California, you'll get laughed at if you submit an ACE transcript with those SL credits. They don't even take DSST, and that's more widely accepted nationwide. The only place locally I can take DSST is at the for-profit Univ of Phoenix. The state schools will only give CLEP tests. If a school doesn't take DSST, they'll take SL? Oh puhleeze...
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I don't think her point was that many or a majority of colleges accept the credit, so finding a bunch that don't doesn't disprove sanantone's point. Her point was that a figure greater than the "200" figure discussed is likely more accurate.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
TrailRunr Wrote:No, just starting a new thread doesn't make your proclamation true.

I will use my own state of California and look at public colleges since they're almost always cheaper. I don't know Texas. But you are very far from proving your case.

A sizable minority of the community colleges won't take CLEP. There is no mention of DSST at almost all California community colleges and state universities. The exceptions would be down in the San Diego area. The University of California doesn't take CLEP at all and will sometimes restrict AP credit. In California, you'll get laughed at if you submit an ACE transcript with those SL credits. They don't even take DSST, and that's more widely accepted nationwide. The only place locally I can take DSST is at the for-profit Univ of Phoenix. The state schools will only give CLEP tests. If a school doesn't take DSST, they'll take SL? Oh puhleeze...

I already proved my case. Maybe you should try reading my post again. I made a new thread to correct the misinformation you and a few others have been throwing around. You didn't say anything that disproved anything in the OP. So, let's try this again. How can you disprove that there aren't at least 500 colleges in the U.S. that will accept ACE credits? All you did was run through a list of public California colleges in your head, which accounts for a very tiny fraction of the colleges and universities in the U.S.

P.S. Why does it seem as if Life Long Learning has a habit of liking the most illogical posts that have not basis in facts? He claims that public colleges in universities in California don't accept DSSTs, but we know that thousands of colleges in other states do. So, how is California supposed to be representative of the rest of the country? The UC system doesn't grant credits for CLEP, so that just further proves that California is far from being representative of the other states since most public university systems do not have a policy against accepting CLEP.

jsd Wrote:I don't think her point was that many or a majority of colleges accept the credit, so finding a bunch that don't doesn't disprove sanantone's point. Her point was that a figure greater than the "200" figure discussed is likely more accurate.

It was a reading comprehension failure on his part. He didn't really address and definitely did not refute anything in the OP.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Thank you for this!
Goal: BA/BS in Psychology

Credit Sources
Straighterline
Aleks
Study.com
Kaplan
Sanantone, some people really like telling people that they're wrong, stupid, etc. And then are rarely, if ever, actually helpful to the people actually asking the questions - they just like to point out where others are wrong, without giving actual info (rather than opinion) to the people asking for help; they just say these people shouldn't listen to the people who are actually offering solid information. Or tell the OP how stupid they are for asking the question in the first place.

It really takes a lot of the enjoyment out of this forum for me at times. I don't get some people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For anyone who is doing a masters or doctorate in education, this would be an interesting study, even if it's just for an article.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
True, UC doesn't accept CLEP or DSST but there are a whole host of Cal State institutions that DO. They have more campuses and are less expensive to boot. Every single CC in CA has articulation agreements with the CSU and UC system, so one could use the examinations at a CC or CSU and transfer to that pricey UC if they so chose. Some CC's have articulation agreements with private institutions as well (one example: RCC to Cal Baptist).

I used my CLEP credits at a CC and transferred in with an AS. I earned a few scholarships, so the cost wasn't a factor in choosing a UC. In fact, I chose it because it was literally down the 91 from my CC, and I could continue to use the on-campus childcare at my "CC alma mater". (RCC to UCR)

If you want to use SL credits in CA, you can consult with the admissions office on whatever campus you're attached to, or transfer those credits to a community college. This is especially true for homeschooled students, who have different admissions criteria.
All Nevada schools are required to take ACE corporate and military credits. The CC's know of this rule, unfortunately UNLV and UNR have recently been made aware of this and where they can find this in the Board of Regents rule book. It seems a member of the degree forum board notified them of this and they are investigating how to accept these credits. They also learned that if a Nevada CC accepts them then they must also. This member has created quite an uproar and confusion at UNR and UNLV. Nevada State College has always been aware of this rule and even issues credit for FEMA.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
mollieclaire1119 Wrote:True, UC doesn't accept CLEP or DSST but there are a whole host of Cal State institutions that DO. They have more campuses and are less expensive to boot. Every single CC in CA has articulation agreements with the CSU and UC system, so one could use the examinations at a CC or CSU and transfer to that pricey UC if they so chose. Some CC's have articulation agreements with private institutions as well (one example: RCC to Cal Baptist).

I used my CLEP credits at a CC and transferred in with an AS. I earned a few scholarships, so the cost wasn't a factor in choosing a UC. In fact, I chose it because it was literally down the 91 from my CC, and I could continue to use the on-campus childcare at my "CC alma mater". (RCC to UCR)

If you want to use SL credits in CA, you can consult with the admissions office on whatever campus you're attached to, or transfer those credits to a community college. This is especially true for homeschooled students, who have different admissions criteria.

The articulation agreement between CA CC's and CSU's very specifically outlines what you can and cannot transfer to a CSU. So, even if the CC might accept the course towards your AA, they CSU may not take it. All of the schools I've looked at recently specifically tell you how the CLEP's will transfer to the CC, and if/how they will transfer to the CSU's nearby.

The articulation agreement also specifies exactly which courses the CC teaches will transfer to either the CSU or UC system. When you go through the CC system, you have a different outline for the IGETC vs the CSU system for classes. You can't take courses not on the IGETC list and expect them to transfer to the UC's just because you have an AA. Private colleges also have articulation agreements with specific requirements.

So, when transferring from a CC to a 4-yr college in CA, you need to make sure that you use the correct form, to take the correct course at the CC. It is all spelled out very clearly for students, has been like this for MANY years (it was like this back when I was at CC in 1989).

Just to reiterate, you cannot "launder" a CLEP through a CC and get it accepted by a UC. It will not happen.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 111 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 206 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,722 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 586 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 463 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 194 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,194 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 6,875 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP