Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I speed up my bachelors?
That's cool. I was thinking about Snow College for my wife. We don't live in Utah, but if they pop up with some scholarships I'm going to talk to her about them.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
@OP, You're a younger student and I've coached minors/young students before, there are a few things you may want to do and here are a few things to recall. 1) Excelsior is a not-for-profit university... 2) Your focus is on getting a degree, but what's your educational goals? 3) Are you homeschooled or are you taking dual enrollment courses? 4) Do you have a budget?

You have RA credits already, I would focus on dual enrollment courses for ones that are not offered by CLEP/ACE. CLEP/ACE is recommended as supplement to your current credits and best to be used for your first/second year requirements and elective courses, you need to look forward and see if you need "graded" credits for future studies. If so, see if dual enrollment allows an option to take third year courses.

If you're homeschooled, I would "graduate" ASAP and head to Excelsior for an Associates and then ladder that up to a Bachelors. You can then put focus into a second degree or start a Masters program. Again, the factor here isn't age, it's the requirements for entry into the program, generally the GPA on the last 30-60 credits will be considered.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • arcangel27, Tedium, Vle045
(03-09-2022, 05:56 PM)arcangel27 Wrote: Right, perhaps I would be interested in TESU just to take a few classes, but I may have to try my associates at Exilsor (For profit, unfortunately) or some other similar university.

Do you have any recommendations for such universities?

Do you mean Excelsior College? They are an RA non-profit college. A few years ago they had a 16 year old graduate with their bachelor's degree. You will struggle to find colleges that admit minors. There are some legal reasons for it and some are policy reasons. Being allowed to take 1 class isn't the same as being an admitted degree seeking student. Have you or your parents looked into local community colleges? Some of them have a setup to allow certain high school students to take classes.
(03-10-2022, 11:41 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 05:56 PM)arcangel27 Wrote: Right, perhaps I would be interested in TESU just to take a few classes, but I may have to try my associates at Exilsor (For profit, unfortunately) or some other similar university.

Do you have any recommendations for such universities?

Do you mean Excelsior College? They are an RA non-profit college. A few years ago they had a 16 year old graduate with their bachelor's degree. You will struggle to find colleges that admit minors. There are some legal reasons for it and some are policy reasons. Being allowed to take 1 class isn't the same as being an admitted degree seeking student. Have you or your parents looked into local community colleges? Some of them have a setup to allow certain high school students to take classes.

Sorry for the late response, I did not know that Excelsior college was that way. My college is already set up, and I am a legal homeschool student taking 5 regular, online college classes this semester (One of them self paced). I would like to work hard and speed up, and try out the AP Psychology.

(03-09-2022, 11:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, You're a younger student and I've coached minors/young students before, there are a few things you may want to do and here are a few things to recall.  1) Excelsior is a not-for-profit university...  2) Your focus is on getting a degree, but what's your educational goals?  3) Are you homeschooled or are you taking dual enrollment courses?  4) Do you have a budget?  

You have RA credits already, I would focus on dual enrollment courses for ones that are not offered by CLEP/ACE.  CLEP/ACE is recommended as supplement to your current credits and best to be used for your first/second year requirements and elective courses, you need to look forward and see if you need "graded" credits for future studies.  If so, see if dual enrollment allows an option to take third year courses.

If you're homeschooled, I would "graduate" ASAP and head to Excelsior for an Associates and then ladder that up to a Bachelors.  You can then put focus into a second degree or start a Masters program.  Again, the factor here isn't age, it's the requirements for entry into the program, generally the GPA on the last 30-60 credits will be considered.

Understood about Excelsior, my educational goals are to learn whatever I can get my hands on, I spend time every day working on science principles privately through Khan Academy/Textbooks (Psychology, Business) and articles (Politics, Investing, e.c.t). I also work on my chemistry and biology principles through various kits and laboratory experiments.

I basically run my own education and as previously mentioned I am taking 5 classes at UND online. I also want to try for an OSCP and OSWP certification in the long run, but I understand that is going to take some time. My budget is large enough, though I try to minimize expenses for those that are paying for my degrees. 

Right now I am looking into the study.com AP Psychology (CLEP, I think) prep so I can take the exam in a month or so. 

I will have a look at Excelsior, perhaps I can go that direction this summer. 

Also, my GPA is pretty good, at a 3-2-3.5. This semester is going to be and has been a bit difficult, so it may drop to a 3.0-3.2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes arcangel27's post:
  • Tedium
You’re off to a great start, by the looks of it. Everyone has had great advice so far and it seems like you’re on the right track.

One suggestion, if you’re studying for CLEPs: http://www.Modernstates.org

It’s free to take the CLEP/AP courses and they will give you a voucher to take the test for free when you pass the course.

That should help speed you along!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(03-11-2022, 01:35 AM)Tedium Wrote: You’re off to a great start, by the looks of it. Everyone has had great advice so far and it seems like you’re on the right track.

It’s free to take the CLEP/AP courses and they will give you a voucher to take the test for free when you pass the course.

Thank you, I am tried of moving along so slowly. 

My "role model" I suppose for this is Laurent Simons, who has completed his bachelors at 11.

I unfortunately started college at 10, like him, but moved slowly (I did not have the same drive and intensity/focus as I do now at 14) and want to get my bachelors and a possible masters as well as learn as much as I can about my chosen topics as quickly as my mental facilities allow.
It might feel like you're moving slow, but you're really not. You're ahead of almost everyone else. It's not always a good thing to be ahead of the curve. People who get degrees as minors may struggle to find employment. There will be a suspicion that parents "helped" with the degree process. That your degree couldn't possibly be legitimate.

Slow down. Take a breath. Are you really wanting multiple degrees? If so, which one do you want FIRST? Because once you obtain degree A, you would need to get 30 (or more) credits in the new subject in order to obtain degree B. By waiting for TESU, you can mitigate this somewhat because they allow students to simultaneously complete up to two degrees, each with two majors. The way TESU does their degrees, you could graduate with a BA in Comp Sci + Psych and a BSBA in Computer Information Systems (or whatever) at the same time. You'd then have to go elsewhere if you still wanted Cybersecurity.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-11-2022, 12:49 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It might feel like you're moving slow, but you're really not. You're ahead of almost everyone else. It's not always a good thing to be ahead of the curve. People who get degrees as minors may struggle to find employment. There will be a suspicion that parents "helped" with the degree process. That your degree couldn't possibly be legitimate.

Slow down. Take a breath. Are you really wanting multiple degrees? If so, which one do you want FIRST? Because once you obtain degree A, you would need to get 30 (or more) credits in the new subject in order to obtain degree B. By waiting for TESU, you can mitigate this somewhat because they allow students to simultaneously complete up to two degrees, each with two majors. The way TESU does their degrees, you could graduate with a BA in Comp Sci + Psych and a BSBA in Computer Information Systems (or whatever) at the same time. You'd then have to go elsewhere if you still wanted Cybersecurity.

To clarify, I do all my work on my own, I would like to complete my bachelors in computer science first. I am trying to get into WGU but they will not let me in until june due to a bureaucratic admissions process. 

I have no worries about my "job" as far as having a degree young, I already run my own VPN company (GlobalVPN), soon to be expanding. 

I am more interested in increased rapidity as far academic achievement and learning, not the opinion others may have about my actual achievements.
Okay, if you do go to WGU and get a CS degree, to get further degrees elsewhere then you would need (at least) 30 NEW credits that were earned after graduation. If, right now, you have a bunch of Psych credits right now (for instance), they would not apply to a Psych degree after you graduate from WGU. You would need to get new and different credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(03-11-2022, 01:35 AM)Tedium Wrote: You’re off to a great start, by the looks of it. Everyone has had great advice so far and it seems like you’re on the right track.

Thank you, I am working on my Modernstates AP Psychology account on EDX currently.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 261 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,530 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 862 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Second bachelors for my sister? IceSparkle 22 1,514 09-18-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 3,355 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 756 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,619 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,105 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 3,763 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow
  Community College Bachelors Degrees Alpha 4 1,674 05-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: ashkir