Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you learn about testing out of your degree?
I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

1) Why do you want a college degree and what's the single biggest factor that kept you from doing it before?

2) Why are you testing out and how did you learn about this method?

Looking forward to some interesting responses!
They're charging $4,000 now!?! This forum doesn't even have an appropriate smiley for that. I can't remember exactly how I found out about testing out. I was originally on the eLearners forum before they shut it down. That's how I found out about the Big 3 I think. Then, I came across this forum.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My neighbor. She did it back in the late 70 and she was having her three children do it.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
My response probably isn't all that interesting, but it's a little ironic. I joined the military for the GI Bill, but since CLEP and DSST are free to take while serving I figured I would take as many as I could before getting out. While studying for all the tests, I found this site. Now I have a boatload of credits so a test-out degree only makes sense. So it's just funny that I joined to get a fully funded (expensive) degree and I end up taking the cheapest route possible. Now I probably won't even use my GI Bill.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Jay Cross runs ads for his Do It Yourself Degree (DIY) plan. For the $100 membership fee you get his booklet on how to test out, references to the Big 3, his cross tabulation test vs. transfer equivalency, his personal success story, and access to his DIY Forum where I have made several ongoing acquantances. In his booklet he refers to InstaCert as a great test study source. From there of course, you find this forum.
Empyrean24 Wrote:I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

1) Why do you want a college degree and what's the single biggest factor that kept you from doing it before?

2) Why are you testing out and how did you learn about this method?

Looking forward to some interesting responses!

I have a question for you? How did you find college plus without finding this site first? I'm just wondering what search parameter you put into google.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I found this interesting tidbit on the CP website "The Student Counselor is here to serve you by answering your questions and helping you learn which CP program may be the best fit. As a current or former student of the program, they have valuable personal experience and extensive training to draw from, and they can answer just about any question you throw at them. They will spend as much time as necessary to help you determine when you would like to take the next step: the Admissions Application."

The glaring statement is "AS A CURRENT OR FORMER STUDENT OF THE PROGRAM". So CP is using their own recruits to sell you on CP. Sounds like a tactic out of the old cult playbook.

This is a tired old subject, but ARGGHH, why aren't the student's of CP getting the promised hand holding from CP rather than running over here for advise.

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Oh, God! We don't want another CP thread. How long was the other one? Was it ever locked? hilarious
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
It's been a few years, but I have been to several homeschool conferences, and have talked to CP there. They did not seem especially knowledgeable about this stuff. They talked a lot about having high schoolers take the General CLEP tests to earn as much credit as possible. But, they didn't really discuss AP exams (which are much more widely accepted and specifically for high-schoolers), they didn't talk about the Big 3 and testing out of a degree (although TESC is one of their "partner" colleges). They just really pushed the whole counselors helping you get their "academic coaching", "study skills", and "life planning" to finish high school with 30 college credits through CLEP testing (your freshman year!).

It looks like they've updated, and have a very pretty interface now that makes it look like you're getting more for your money. They now say they'll help you get up to 90 units to transfer into a college. But it's still very expensive, and you have to pay for study materials in addition to the cost of joining ($1900 and then $195/mo). Why would you pay $2000 and then still have to pay for study materials and exams??? I'm so glad I found this site long before my kids were old enough for me to starting thinking about/looking for this stuff.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
sanantone Wrote:Oh, God! We don't want another CP thread. How long was the other one? Was it ever locked? hilarious

Not for nothing, I did a linkedin search on people who either work at CP or were former CP employees, and three major things stand out, they were all CP "students", they all went to TESC, and most of them are doing pretty well for themselves. So I can't poop all over collegeplus like I used to, then again these may be just hard chargers, but they make TESC look better. But then after I said all that, I found this person, who claims to ATTEND College Plus. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kara-greiner/94/377/5ba/en.

Also, they seem to have an admissions process which includes letters of recommendation and interview? All this to transfer your credits to an open enrollment school?

So from what I gather, CP uses their religious affiliation to recruit home-schoolers, recruits them as their employees (curious as to what the pay is like), but in the end, the students come out better for it? Thoughts?

Welcome to CP thread part 6, the resurrection.

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 575 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 508 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 944 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Easiest Critical Languages to Learn sanantone 14 1,991 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 968 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,615 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,757 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,667 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,998 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth