Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you learn about testing out of your degree?
I would be way more comfortable supporting, and even recommending, services like DIY Degree or CollegePlus if they had gone the route of crowd-funding and perhaps attempting to work out kick-back deals with companies like straighterline for referring students.

Sadly, it seems that "for-profit education" and "non-traditional education" seem to go together these days.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Empyrean24 Wrote:I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

1) Why do you want a college degree and what's the single biggest factor that kept you from doing it before?

2) Why are you testing out and how did you learn about this method?

Looking forward to some interesting responses!

I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

I saw an Advertisement for Collegeplus on a blog Frugal mommy or something and clicked the link, it sounded expensive and a little like they had found a "loophole" I emailed the blog owner and she told me her experience and how her younger sister wasn't going to pay for the privilege of learning what the blog writer already knew from the first payout to Collegeplus I did some more searching and found this forum.

1) Why do you want a college degree and what's the single biggest factor that kept you from doing it before?

Cost, as a immigrant getting a degree is important but should not cost an excessive amount mine should cost me about $6000 give or take depending on how my self organized plan works out.

Hundreds of people know about testing out of courses, they either couldn't be bothered to investigate for a sizeable amount or don't have the motivation to complete. The handholding promised by commercial entities like College Plus may have me doing more in my progression towards my degree but I'd rather go at my pace with my money in my pocket.

Great members here have invaluable free information, that the CP researchers ask questions of and get paid to supply it to their members.
Any suggestions of how CP researchers could donate to Sanantone or Cookderosa et al who are the bastions of information on here for free.
TESC should award Sanantone an honorary degree for the way she funnels people towards what she believes is the least expensive and best of the Big Three her advice is great, almost convinced me to switch schools. Smile
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
[quote=Empyrean24]I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

1) Why do you want a college degree

QUOTE]

1) To "check a box" since society, seems, requires it. As a homeschooler I believe that self-education is the best education and we should enjoy learning all our life.

2) I am testing out to save time and money. I learned about this method through Google search.
I discovered John Bear's wonderful book on the subject back in 1987. I've known about testing out of college ever since.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
dewisant Wrote:I discovered John Bear's wonderful book on the subject back in 1987. I've known about testing out of college ever since.

Dr. Bear really is the grandfather of all this.
Empyrean24 Wrote:I paid CollegePlus $4,000 to give me a degree plan and show me how to get my BSBA in Marketing from TESC. So I have a couple questions for everybody...

Looking forward to some interesting responses!

I wanted a college degree because I enjoy learning and it gave me a goal to work towards. I also view it as a safety net, I suppose.
I started working on my degree while still in high school so I don't think I can really answer the second part of the question.

I ended up only doing one CLEP test (and an AP), other options worked better for me. I wanted to save money and get credit quickly in an area I knew a lot about. I don't remember exactly how I learned about it, I think my Mom found out about it and then introduced it to me while we were looking over college options.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I heard about distance learning from Dr. Bear's book, but I didn't really get what it was until I got to this web site. At some point, I will get a degree. When that happens, I will owe it all to you folks. (I would REALLY owe it to all of you if someone could figure out a way for me to "get" College Algebra.)
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 572 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 507 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 538 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 943 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Easiest Critical Languages to Learn sanantone 14 1,985 10-26-2021, 02:18 AM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 965 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,609 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  History of Degree "Hacking" collegehacked 8 2,744 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: collegehacked
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,662 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,993 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth